Homebrew GBA backup tool and bootleg Pokemon save file help

damagedisdone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me how to change my save size in the ~.ini file for GBA Backup Tool

Code:
# GBA_Backup_Tool.ini

FileDirÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/GBA_BackupÂÂÂÂ! Directory

SaveFileÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! 0:auto, nnn:Save File Size(KB)

RomSizeÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! 0:auto, nn:Rom Backup Size(MB)

#TrimÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Use Trim

I'm having problems trying to restore .sav to a counterfeit Pokemon Emerald (which has possibly been SRAM patched). When I back up the save file from the counterfeit cart using GBA Backup Tool I get 128k. However when I play the counterfeit dump on VBA the save file is 64k. Now tried restoring a save file from a clean Pokemon Emerald ROM to the counterfeit copy but I would always get the message "The save has been corrupted..." Does anybody know to restore a save file to counterfeit Pokemon cart?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
That is because your VBA settings are off.

vba_save_settings.png

Stop spamming the same post under different titles, you don't get your answer any faster. You might NEVER get it at all.

damagedisdone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I accidentally made a double post. I had no intention to make multiple posts.

Well it's not that my setting in VBA are off, so let me try to explain my problems again. I know about the 128k flash. The thing is, playing the counterfeit ROM dump on VBA will give 64k save. If I change the setting to 128k and try to save, the game will just hang.

But dumping the counterfeit cart save using GBA backup tool I get a 128k. However the save cannot be used on VBA. So what I am trying to do if possible is force dump a 64k save with GBA backup tool, but I don't what to change in the ~.ini file.

But even if I can dump 64k from the cart using GBA Backup Tool, I will run into a problem trying to restore it to the cart because GBA Backup Tool will report that the save size doesn't match. I have tried restoring a 128k save from a clean rom to the counterfeit cart, however like I said it game will give me "The save file is corrupted..." message.

eddiebling

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I ran into this problem with bootleg carts. I found a clunky solution. First you have to backup the whole game rom as the save is embedded in it. I then ran 2 instances of VBA with VBA link. Load the bootleg ROM into one and any Gen 3 rom in the other. Both games will need to be saved at a point where you can trade Pokemon. It seems like every save function, either manual or automatic, embeds the save file into the ROM EXCEPT the auto save immediately after transferring a Pokémon. Once you've done this you should find a useable .SAV file in the same folder as your bootleg ROM. I've still no idea how to re-embed a save file into the bootleg rom.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran into this problem with bootleg carts. I found a clunky solution. First you have to backup the whole game rom as the save is embedded in it. I then ran 2 instances of VBA with VBA link. Load the bootleg ROM into one and any Gen 3 rom in the other. Both games will need to be saved at a point where you can trade Pokemon. It seems like every save function, either manual or automatic, embeds the save file into the ROM EXCEPT the auto save immediately after transferring a Pokémon. Once you've done this you should find a useable .SAV file in the same folder as your bootleg ROM. I've still no idea how to re-embed a save file into the bootleg rom.
No reason to be writing this twice just because the thread was duplicated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: