Hardware GBA app to store game passwords?

Martoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know of a GBA homebrew app to store passwords for GBA games that use password saving? It's always kind of a pain when a game doesn't support saving, and just gives you a password, especially since I just carry a GB Micro with EZ-Flash 4 in my pocket (no place to write down passwords).

If not, I think I may write one. It would work something like this:
You're playing a game, it gives you a password. You temporarily memorize the password, and power off/on the GB. Run the password app. Very first thing it does is let you enter the password (to minimize the time you need to keep it memorized). Once entered, it lets you scroll through the list of games you've already entered passwords for, and select the one whose password you want to replace. Or, if it's a new game, enter it's name (and it adds it to the list, with the entered password).

Or, if you want to retrieve a password, when you first run the app and it prompts for a password, enter nothing, and it lets you scroll through the list to view the password for any game.

The games/password list, of course, would be saved in save memory.

Or is there already an app that does something like this?

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
But, what if you forget the password?
Or if it´s hard to remember?
tongue.gif

I use my cellphone to save the passwords, works even with the crazys Sword of Hope II passwords
wub.gif

gb_0063_41.png

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ironically the EZ3 supports save states as well.

Assuming you only have alphanumeric passwords to deal with (example various megaman games used a grid) you are going to want a text editor for the GBA. Owing to the lack of touchscreen I know of none although you could try a graphics editor I guess:
http://www.gbadev.org/demos.php?showinfo=279

Martoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I didn't know it was possible for a flashcart to do save states. That would require the cart to do a dump of the GBA's working RAM (didn't know a cart could do that). And here I thought the EZ4 did everything I could want.
wink2.gif

Yeah, I was thinking of a text editor, too, but without any kind of keyboard entry, not really feasible. That's why I think an app like I described could be useful (you would enter the password and/or game name with a letter grid). I may still write this app, if I can find the time.
wink.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
It's an excellent idea, go for it.
happy.gif

One of the text editor apps would work too, but finding the game in the list would be tricky if there's a lot of passwords. A separate app could sort games in alphabetical order, store multiple passwords per game, there's just so much functionality it could offer where a text reader falls flat. It wouldn't be a groundbreakingly popular homebrew app (not many games use passwords, except emulated), but there's definitely a good argument there for it to exist, even just for personal use or as an interesting practice project.

laguerzinho: On the forgetting passwords side; sure, you'd need to copy the password to paper then boot the game, but it's a damned sight more useful than playing while out and realising your password book's at home (yes I've done this).

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
It's an excellent idea, go for it.
happy.gif

laguerzinho: On the forgetting passwords side; sure, you'd need to copy the password to paper then boot the game, but it's a damned sight more useful than playing while out and realising your password book's at home (yes I've done this).

:'( I also have a password´s book, it´s for the SNES era so it´s basically a chilhood memento
wub.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, then play it