Gateway with non working SPI, brick risk?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by AlbertoSONIC, Jun 27, 2014.

1. AlbertoSONIC
    OP

AlbertoSONIC Pasta Team Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Hi guys. My gateway has a non working SPI, the savegames related chip. However can load card2 roms without any problem. My fear is: will this card issue trigger the launcher.dat brick comand? My Gateway is original and working, as i said before, but not 100% working. So, is there any brick risk?

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    no more than running pokemon or animal crossing i would imagine, i have another card which is a bit dodgy with SPI issue's and have converted most of the games on that card to card2 games, but im pretty sure it should all be fine

3. AlbertoSONIC
    OP

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Yeah i already done that. I play almost every game. But my fear is: since gateway launcher.dat checks the red card and if it's not 100% original it brick the 3ds, maybe it could find it as a clone due to non working SPI chip... Or maybe not...

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Technically it shouldn't pose any threat to the system, but I would probably return the card if it's not working 100% as it should. Did you buy it second-hand or something? How are you so sure that the SPI is faulty, did you use Gateway's tool to assert that?

5. AlbertoSONIC
    OP

Jun 27, 2014
    Italy
    Yes i took a second hand gateway, but bought from a recommended reseller. And yes, i assert that the SPI is faulty with the diagnostic tool. I think that i'll not open an RMA or send it back to the reseller, simply because i can play every games: new games are card2 games from the beginning, old games are converted to card2 games by me. So the SPI is never used. I know that it's not working 100%, but if the gateway launcher.dat doesn't find it as a clone, i keep it...