Hacking Gateway Ultra 3.5 (cheat support!)

Gereirhadeigne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I have an alternative (rxTools ;P) until GW figures this out.
>>2ds 9.2 - 10.3 emuNAND launcher working - cia's, at least for me.
>>2ds 9.2 - 10.1 emuNAND launcher working + cia's, at least for me.
I barely updated my O3DS in a long time. I got Gateway 3.5 and updated EmuNAND to 10.3. I bypassed the CIA problem by selecting a random ROM in the multimenu, but when I close the CIA, I get kicked back into SysNAND just like I would as if I was getting out of the settings. Does this happen to anyone else?
Which CIA/Game were you using, if I may ask? (Just wondering, some boot into sysNAND after closing, plus mine don't or won't boot at all ;3)
EDIT: Oh, and it's apparently the 'new Supercard DSTwo+' plug-in they're talking about.

Last edited by Gereirhadeigne,

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Guys I'm new here, but wanted to know what these plug-in staff told to avoid and have warned?
Basically, don't use the DS2+ plugin with Gateway.
hmmmm where should i go to find cheat? has anyone setup a page or thread for cheats? or is it still too new?
Gateway gives you some when you download 3.5. If you want more, you need to ask a hacker to make one or make it yourself.

Reactions: Vlad_78

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I paid up to $100 for both the cards with no MSD card. I honestly am with you but that's a lot of money to say " It's okay, take your time. " I am upset they won't test this stuff before release or at least tell us there is a protection set for fake card users. Also to say that they barely ever give their customers updates on if they are still there. They just say " Soon " and leave us to speculate on weather they ran away with our money or not.
But gateway cards are like $55 where did you buy yours?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Is [setting up RxTools] really that easy?
It sure is. The tutorials here can be intimidating, but it's actually really simple. If your 3DS is a firmware between 9.0 and 9.2, you can even use themehax to do it. So you turn on your 3DS, hold L (or don't if you have the auto version) and it'll boot right into it! And obviously I have a tutorial on how to do it.

Well I haven't used CIA files out of Save Data Filer and Title Manager, I have never installed any games as CIAs.
Are they really much less spacy than 3DS/3DZ ROMs?
I used NDS Tokyo Trimmer for 3DS files and they do save some space.

I am avoiding rxTools at the moment because I am on a N3DS and for what I've seen it's still somewhat unstable.
Although, for my O3DS I do use rxTools now. :)

I have been seriously thinking about switching to rxTools completely and install all my games as CIAs while leaving my DS games flashcard in the N3DS so that I don't have to switch anything anymore., but rxTools beta is holding me back. :P
As for the space, the .cia files are smaller because the .3ds/z ones have dummy data to fill it up to a round number. For example, Pokemon X .3ds is 2gb while Pokemon X .cia is only 1.68gb. Now, in that example it's not too big of a difference but let's say a game only needs 1.05gb of data... The .cia version would be 1.05 and the .3ds/z version would be 2gb. And I'm using Rxtools on my N3DS and have never had an issue. It has the same boot rate that gateway had in my experience. And the fact that it's beta means nothing. ;P
As for all those emulators... Well, I just like DSTWO's interface. So, rxTools is pretty good, and so is DSTWO+, but they make just awesome pair when combined.
But partially that's because of DSTWO being just that universal. Gateway doesn't have this advantage, for example, requiring two flashcarts being swapped
Yeah if you like the DStwo interface, go for it if you already have it. I just don't see why people'd spend money for it at this point unless they feel that RxTools is scary and they don't want to screw it up.

Personally I like using .3dz a lot more that cias, converting 3ds to cia and install process being more tedious for games as cia to me. (also being on new 3DS, I don't have cryptofix issues with .3DZ that I would have with cia)
To each his own I guess.

I do use cia for homebrew though.
I think what most people do is go to a certain iso site to download .cia files and not worry about converting anything themselves. Because I've gone through the hassle of trying to do it myself before getting irritated and finding a .cia copy online.

Simply placing 3DS/Z files to the flashcard, not being required to wait for hours to install the game and not worrying about random errors and wasted time.
.CIA take a rediculous amount of time to install. Also easier to use .3ds/3dz for personal dumps, don't have to convert anything after having Gateway dump the cart.
Hm... I keep hearing this but I guess it never seemed like an issue for me. I can load up FBI or BigBlueBox or whatever, set it to download all .cia files, go to the bathroom or make dinner, come back to it being done and never have to worry about it again. I also assume that downloading eShop games would be muuuuch slower than .cia games. Plus that way it's all right there and I don't need a second SD card for the Gateway.

Anyway, thanks for the responses guys!

Reactions: Azel

Karuta

Trophies
XP
Country
It sure is. The tutorials here can be intimidating, but it's actually really simple. If your 3DS is a firmware between 9.0 and 9.2, you can even use themehax to do it. So you turn on your 3DS, hold L (or don't if you have the auto version) and it'll boot right into it! And obviously I have a tutorial on how to do it.

As for the space, the .cia files are smaller because the .3ds/z ones have dummy data to fill it up to a round number. For example, Pokemon X .3ds is 2gb while Pokemon X .cia is only 1.68gb. Now, in that example it's not too big of a difference but let's say a game only needs 1.05gb of data... The .cia version would be 1.05 and the .3ds/z version would be 2gb. And I'm using Rxtools on my N3DS and have never had an issue. It has the same boot rate that gateway had in my experience. And the fact that it's beta means nothing. ;P

Yeah if you like the DStwo interface, go for it if you already have it. I just don't see why people'd spend money for it at this point unless they feel that RxTools is scary and they don't want to screw it up.

I think what most people do is go to a certain iso site to download .cia files and not worry about converting anything themselves. Because I've gone through the hassle of trying to do it myself before getting irritated and finding a .cia copy online.

Hm... I keep hearing this but I guess it never seemed like an issue for me. I can load up FBI or BigBlueBox or whatever, set it to download all .cia files, go to the bathroom or make dinner, come back to it being done and never have to worry about it again. I also assume that downloading eShop games would be muuuuch slower than .cia games. Plus that way it's all right there and I don't need a second SD card for the Gateway.

I'm actually sort of torn between buying a Gateway or just using CFW for my N3DS 9.0.0

I would probably be ok using CFW but after browsing around here for a while I've heard a lot of things like "only gateway can do that" or "you need gateway". Apparently Gateway is better than CFW at firmware spoofing and region free (at least from what I've heard). Gateway definitely seems like the more stable option, and I can get one for pretty cheap, so I don't really know what way to go atm.

Reactions: Ericzander

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually sort of torn between buying a Gateway or just using CFW for my N3DS 9.0.0

I would probably be ok using CFW but after browsing around here for a while I've heard a lot of things like "only gateway can do that" or "you need gateway". Apparently Gateway is better than CFW at firmware spoofing and region free (at least from what I've heard). Gateway definitely seems like the more stable option, and I can get one for pretty cheap, so I don't really know what way to go atm.
If you don't own a Gateway card don't buy one just use rxTools 3.0b, you have all the time in the world to get it one day since your on 9.2 or lower just make a Nand backup and when its needed at some point you can get one.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

try cfw, see if it does the job for you....if not try pick up a gateway, but tbh i think CFW would suffice for most people unless gateway comes out with a new USP like 9.3+ support
You're a fucking moron i think, you should be banned by directly assaulting me with your reply. Gatecrap is piracy, and there is no denying about it. It is like saying that chair is mainly used for to stand on it. You better go check you're doctor.
but the question is why are you even commenting here, you just spouting drivel BS, "UUUURGGH GW IS PIRACY, I WILL ADVERTISE CFW".....why not go do that somewhere then, hire a billboard, or wear a sandwich board sign and walk around town or maybe even just advertise updating and buying legit games if you disagree with piracy so much

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia

Okay I said above that I wasn't going to fanboy RxTools, but since you still seem undecided, I take it back xD.

Go RxTools. Gateway is not better. What Gateway can do that RxTools can't as far as I know is play .3ds/z roms (which can all be installed as .cia files anyway). I don't know why people say it's more stable because I never have an issue with my CFW and it boots every time. If it ever doesn't boot, you can just turn off your system and try again (same deal with Gateway). Do you like GBA games? Yeah you can use the homebrew launcher to get emulators that are good, but not perfect. With RxTools, you can play them right from your system using the virtual console. You can't do that with Gateway. In addition you can also play DSi, SNES, NES, and I think Gamegear? I forgot what the SEGA one you can download is.

How about this... Follow the video guide that I posted in the post you quoted (or use a written guide if inclined) and set up your CFW. If you don't like it for whatever reason and see that maybe Gateway has something better... Then go and buy that. But give CFW a shot first. They use the same emuNAND and saves so you can switch effortlessly between the two.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You can trim .3ds to get rid of the padding.

Last .cia I installed was Senran Kagura 2 (because it has a bug were it crashes on exit, so you can't use the correct exit method all the time on Gateway). Senran Kagura 2 is a fairly big game (I think it's 2GB). It took 30min or so. Using a Sandisk extreme class 10. To do the .3ds takes a couple of min.

Of course I can just leave it installing while doing something else, but I don't want to pre-plan what am I going to play.

Ericzander

Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Why are we talking about rxTools in a Gateway thread?

And don't say some sort of elitist crap like, "rxTools trumps Gateshit in every way and it's free" etc.
Actually it is relevant. The thread's about Gateway which means talking about the pros and cons of it. It's important to list alternatives. It's always better for the consumer to have more competition.

You can't have a discussion about Coke without talking about Pepsi. :)

Edit: I'm also being careful with my wording because I don't wanna come across as hating on Gateway.

Reactions: blinkzane

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can trim .3ds to get rid of the padding.

Last .cia I installed was Senran Kagura 2 (because it has a bug were it crashes on exit, so you can't use the correct exit method all the time on Gateway). Senran Kagura 2 is a fairly big game (I think it's 2GB). It took 30min or so. Using a Sandisk extreme class 10. To do the .3ds takes a couple of min.

Of course I can just leave it installing while doing something else, but I don't want to pre-plan what am I going to play.

but its easier to play online with cia. (cias uses your deviceheader)
if you want to play online with .3ds roms you have to inject a header (recommened) and its more complicated

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

chango

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Was gonna bitch about absence of AGB and TWL support (this shouldn't be that hard, seriously)

Don't bother waiting for Gateway to provide Gameboy Advance support, Retroarch already supports nearly the entire GBA library at 60fps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!