Hacking Gateway SysNAND Modes Question

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a N3DS with SysNAND 9.0 and EmuNAND 10.3 and use Gateway. My GW is on FW 3.7. My question is, what is the difference between the SysNAND modes that are accessed by pressing UP in ROM selection menu(Classic SysNAND, SysNAND -7x/+7x)? Thoughts/help appreciated :)

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The classic sysnand is actually the original classic mode which support legic cards. It's misleading since you're still in emunand. The later ones can be used with red card. The difference is in the cryptology method used on save files. If you have no old save to worry about, just use 7+ mode.

Reactions: TheShadowRunner

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The classic sysnand is actually the original classic mode which support legic cards. It's misleading since you're still in emunand. The later ones can be used with red card. The difference is in the cryptology method used on save files. If you have no old save to worry about, just use 7+ mode.

Ok, thanks :)
I will be getting "Mario & Luigi Paper Jam" tomorrow when it comes out here in the US. For the physical card/cart, I need to use Classic mode? Or do I select 7+ since it is a newer game?

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ok, thanks :)
I will be getting "Mario & Luigi Paper Jam" tomorrow when it comes out here in the US. For the physical card/cart, I need to use Classic mode? Or do I select 7+ since it is a newer game?
For all legit cards use clissic mode. They introduced 7-mode only because of history problems where users will lose their saves if upgade sysnand from 4.x to 7.x+. It's some sort of bug with old gateway firms, not related to legit card saves.

wsquan171

Trophies
XP
Country
China
For SysNAND mode, do I need GW red card inserted and select Classic Mode once in GW EmuNAND, or is there another way to boot directly into GW SysNAND Classic Mode?
no, you always need the red card to boot into any GW emunand. The on screen instruction is misleading. They once supported classic mode without their card. The function is removed now but they forgot to change the text.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
right to try clear it up because GW didnt really explain what they all were and they have actually made a goof up on their descriptions as the 7.x + or 7.X - actually pertains to the use of the 6.x save encryption keys or not
so basically
Classic sysnand = classic mode with the encryption based on your sysnand version, so if your on <6.x this will have the same results as classic 7.x - if your sysnand is on > 7.x this option will have the same effect as choosing classic 7.x +

Classic 7.X - = classic mode with forced pre 6.x save encryption keys

Classic 7.X + = classic mode with forced post 6.x save encryption keys

PS gateway have always used the same encryption method for gateway saves no matter what FW your system is on afaik so gateway mode is the only mode used with the GW card, all the rest are just classic mode with different save encryption modes....personally thinking they should just remove the 7.x- mode as having the 2 modes there probably runs more risks with people accidentally wiping their saves by choosing the wrong mode

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
I think they put two classic modes for a reason; to resume playing retail game carts that were either last saved on a console that was running pre 7.x firmware OR on higher firmware. So their retail saves don't get lost.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think they put two classic modes for a reason; to resume playing retail game carts that were either last saved on a console that was running pre 7.x firmware OR on higher firmware. So their retail saves don't get lost.
yeah i know why they did it but seeing as most games auto wipe if you choose the wrong option its a bit risky having the choice there without some explicit instructions

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i know why they did it but seeing as most games auto wipe if you choose the wrong option its a bit risky having the choice there without some explicit instructions
To be honest, I already understood their meaning by just looking at those options, that they representing the save encryption method, and since it is Classic mode so it already started making sense anyway. (Well, it's just me who understood, not sure about new comers...)

EDIT: I hope that these Classic modes doesn't have any effect on GW saves, because if they do then GW should think about not allowing Classic modes to touch the GW save files at all.

Last edited by Just3DS,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F