Gateway still viable?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by apachehavok, Feb 9, 2017.

1. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Hey all!

I have a gateway with a 4.xx sysnand and 10.xx emunand.

I understand now that there are full software solutions but learned that they take forever to install. Having to first copy the CIA to a memcard then install the CIA.

Just last night I grabbed a few of the latest 3ds backups from this month and within about 5 min of transferring, I had them booted and rocking and rolling on the gateway.

Gateway is still a viable option right? I mean I only wish to play my backups and thats it

THanks

2. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Regular

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Throw it away, please.
    Gateway is nothing worth since the cfw days. It's really just making unnecessary problems. Everything that you could do with gateway is possible nowadays with cfw

hobbledehoy899 and Alkéryn like this.
  3. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    If you dont want to update to the latest fw (11.3) then youll most likely be fine... But it really is recommended to install A9LH. 11.3 blocks most cfw (Except Luma I guess?)
    https://3ds.guide/

4. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    you can use gateway for cheat codes, if you have OLD 3ds it will be useful with extended memory games

McWhiters9511 likes this.
  5. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Cool. So is gateway done with emunand after V10? Will it not support his new 11x firmware?

What do you mean by "Extended memory games"

Thanks!

6. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    If you only care about playing backups without any specific requirement from your end (.3ds for example) then you don't need gateway, no. You can install A9LH, and then choose any cfw to use. luma, being the most popular.

Gateway is still a viable option up until version 11.2 .. 11.3 that came out a couple of days ago broke gateway support. So until gateway releases a new update for their card, the only way to be on the latest system version to play backups is cfw.

If you do not go for 11.3 and choose to go for 11.2 for example, and still want to go online (online gaming, miiverse, eshop, etc..) search ctr-httpwn. Using that will let you be online on a firmware lower than the latest

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It works up until 11.2 like I mentioned above. No update yet for the lately released 11.3
    Extended memory games are a handful of games that take a lot of ram from the system. Super smash being one of those games.

You will notice on o3ds that you won't be able to access miiverse while in smash cause the o3ds has no ram left to spare. While on n3ds you won't have that problem since n3ds has more ram

7. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
  8. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    games like Super Smash Bros, Pokémon Sun and others are extended memory games, on OLD 3DS this games close all other things like home menu to focus the process
    on the game, but if you want to use cheat codes with games like that on OLD 3DS you will need to have gateway because NTR will close

9. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Gotcha!

I should mention that I dont and never plan to go online. Essentially its going to be a long time before games actually require the latest 11.7 SDK right? So staying on 10.xx with gateway should still last me a good bit right? Can gatway and A9LH play nice together? There would be no emunand then correct? Just boot right into a normal modded sysnand?

How easy is it to convert what I got to A9LH? THANKS ALL!

10. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    As a Gateway owner, I see no reason to get rid of it, as it can come in handy from time to time. Use this guide for getting it to work after following Plailect's guide: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

That being said, I haven't seriously used my Gateway in a while. As a ROM hack researcher, I expect I will use it a lot in the future for testing, but not for casual play.

TheShadowRunner and Madridi like this.
  11. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Not hard, boot to emunand and follow the guide, and yeah, you just boot into sysnand.

12. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    man.. i think I will need to sell my two kidneys to buy a New 3DS

13. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Ok so as I understand it, the main advantage of the gateway is the fact that it can play regular copied over .3ds roms rather then CIA's needing to be installed correct?

But after this is done, you will JUST have a sysnand (no emunand) and have to hold down "down" to boot into gateway mode correct?

14. Madridi

Madridi Card Collector

May 9, 2008
    Qatar
    Doha
    Yes, that's the main advantage, plus cheats.

People nowadays tend to get rid of their emunand. But there is absolutely no reason to do so. You can have both if you want. I for one have both

15. apachehavok
    OP

apachehavok GBAtemp Fan

Jan 17, 2014
    Angola
    Ok cool thanks guys!! I think I will stick with what I have for now and hope that in the near future no games REQUIRE an 11.7 FW

Thanks!

16. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    You can also use an emunand instead but it makes no sence because it's only a waste of space :)

And about your question about firm version: There is no 11.7, latest is 11.3 and i know no game that requires 11.2.

Last edited by noX1609, Feb 9, 2017
  17. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    yes its viable, dont listen to naysayers. You kind of answered your own question is OP. If its works for you then its viable for you.

Last edited by Chrushev, Feb 9, 2017
  18. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Something about gateway's patches allow it's cheats to run in high memory mode games.
    NTR can do that now but only on HK/CHN consoles for now

19. noX1609

noX1609 B9S freak ;)

Aug 30, 2016
    Germany
    Because NTR doesn't work with extended memory mode on old 3ds. So if you want cheats gateway is the best and nearly the only cheat engine that workes on old3ds.

20. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    ntr can run extended memory games on OLD 3DS????? O.O

yuliusde likes this.