Gateway save files keep corrupting

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by auntnadia, May 17, 2015.

1. auntnadia
    OP

auntnadia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2007
    I've recently added a couple of games to my gateway sd card. They work fine, but when I shut down and go back to them, the save files are corrupted. The games are Pokemon X (I know a lot of folk have troubles with this one) and 3D Outrun (as a .3ds file, not .cia). I wonder is it because I recently defragged the card with defraggler.... Anyone got any clues or solutions?

2. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    You should never defrag any solid state memory. You should backup all the data on your card to your pc and reformat the SD. Hopefully that'll fix your problem. :)

3. auntnadia
    OP

auntnadia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2007
    Yeah, I kinda had to defrag as the Pokemon rom was fragmented and wouldn't load, but I guess reformatting doesn't take any longer to complete. Will give that a go today and fingers crossed it works :)

4. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    A defrag would actually be more efficient in terms of avoiding unnecessary writes to the memory. You wouldn't want to defrag solid state normally, which is why most tools will ignore such drives, but Gateway is kind of a special case.

Unfortunately, I don't have any information on why the saves are getting corrupted. Is there a specific error message? I believe Pokemon X is a Card2 game, and I wouldn't expect Outrun to be Card2, so it's odd that you're getting it with both Card1 and Card2. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer this.

5. auntnadia
    OP

auntnadia Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2007
    Well I reformatted both sd cards and still the same thing happening with outrun. The game seems to delete and create a brand new save file each time it's booted up.