Gateway rom to Retail Eshop Purchase

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by phazonknight, Feb 5, 2014.

1. phazonknight
    OP

phazonknight GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Hello,

Just wondering, I have been playing a lot of Fire Emblem Awakening, so much to the point where I'm thinking of purchasing the game to get access to DLC content. I was just wondering will my save file carry over or does gateway have a special way of saving games? Thanks.

2. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    The encryption save keys used in a 4.X 3DS even with emuNAND are not the same as a legit 3DS on the latest firmware. That means your save will get instantly wiped on a legit 3DS withe the latest firmware.

Exceptions to this are games that use the old 2.X firmware save keys.

----

Any DLC content you download under emuNAND will reside on the image on that SD in your 3DS.

Gateway moves the save on the cart to the SD on 3DS after you exit properly.

3. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    That sucks, so I can't use emunand and purchase the game on the eshop and have my save file still there?

4. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You can get the DLC, you just won't be able to use it outside of emuNAND or on another 3DS. DLC is tied to the 2/3DS that it was downloaded to.

---

With the DLC being tied to your emuNAND, any and all precautions fall on you to make a backup in the eventual failure or corruption of the SD and saves.

5. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada

Ok this is going to sound noobish but here goes. I already have NAND and all that backed up, while im playing fire emblem (gateway version) and go to buy dlc in game i get a blank screen. In the eshop I see some (but not all the dlc) so if i purchase the dlc from eshop it should work on the gateway version of fire emblem?

6. how_do_i_do_that

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    I can't really tell you if you can or can't download DLC in emuNAND, I have games with DLC on my 3DS with the latest firmware only. DLC in fire emblem is bought through the game, not on the eShop, but you must have a eShop balance to be able to buy the DLC content.

In fire emblem you must have Outrealm Gate (DLC) chapter available. If I remember correctly, that is after chapter 4 is complete.

[​IMG]

---

Purchasing digital games is different from DLC. Do not mix the two as if they are the same thing. As far as digital games go, downloads are working for those that did it on emuNAND.

7. Neo Draven

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I was able to purchase the DLC case in Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies, with no problems.

8. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Yea thats a shame, I put in at least 40+ hours in the game but since I do not hypothetically "own" the game it won't let me access the DLC from the game. I guess Ill just beat it and when I decide to replay it ill purchase it off the Eshop so I can get the DLC and I guess ill start over on lunatic

9. Lunai

Lunai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    You can perfectly download DLC onto emunand and use it with a gateway rom.
    Limit Breaker w00000

10. misterb98

misterb98 Moral Gateway User. Wat.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    I have the game legitimately through the eShop. I don't own Gateway. However, I am running emuNAND 2.0b1 and can confirm that at least on the eShop version that you can at lest download the DLC from the game. I already purchased it previously on a legit 3ds, but going into the menu, browsing the DLC and downloading it worked just fine for me.

11. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Yea the problem is I don't have a legit copy of the game which is a shame because I didn't think I would enjoy it so far, so because I am running the game on gateway card when I attempt to go to Outrealm and go to purchase maps, i get as far as the "touch the screen to interact with stuff" before it kicks me back to the world map again. I want to purchase the game now but it seems my save file won't carry over?

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A digitally distributed game is not a ROM dump but a standard 3DS executable and flash carts are designed to run ROM dumps - the two do not follow the same structure and as such are not cross-compatible, even if the binary of the game itself is exactly the same. It's the launching framework that matters, and those differ - that's the easiest way of explaining the matter that I can think of.

Neo Draven, hhs and Skelletonike like this.
  13. phazonknight
    OP

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    Ok that cleared that up easy enough for me. Hopefully that will change if the 3DS scene ever sees cfw. Well after bravely default ill just buy fire emblem from eshop and run through the game on lunatic mode

14. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    Are you on 2.0b2 and the latest emunand? If not, run it and then try buying the DLC. If it works then buy all the DLC you want and revert back to 2.0b1 (to avoid small chance of bricking)

15. Lunai

Lunai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    You can buy DLC through a ROM's integrated purchase menu.
    Just gotta be on 2.0b2

16. elunesgrace

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    This is interesting to me, because I bought and finished fire emblem on the NAND (basically bought the game and played it through). However, the save file is actually stored inside the cart, how would you take an emuNAND save file from the SD card and have it load in the Fire Emblem Game Cart anyways?

17. Lunai

Lunai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    If you're loading from a real card, the EMUNAND will be on Classic Mode with no redirection system.
    If you have a rom, EMUNAND is on GW mode and will transfer the save back and forth on launch and exit.
    You cannot move saves around from rom save to real card.
    The Datel Save device might do it.