• Views 48,744
  • Replies 238
  • Likes 2

Don21

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you only had the problem after installing emunand, then it cound very well be an SD problem.?

I dont understand the last sentence " Does gateway work fine without emunand"

Can i run backups without getting in emunand? When i get into the GW8.1..... i am in gateway emunand mode right?

I dont know what the difference are between

-Classic mode sys
-Emunand mode sys
-Classic mode EMUsys
-Emunand mode Emusys

D

Deleted User

OP
Will you be able to play DSiware of Gateway ? I thought going into DS mode breaks gateway.

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I dont understand the last sentence " Does gateway work fine without emunand"

Can i run backups without getting in emunand? When i get into the GW8.1..... i am in gateway emunand mode right?

Yes, you can.

When you first set up Gateway (install with blue card, copy launcher, etc), and you first enter gateway, you have a bunch of options. If you don't format Emunand, and instead just launch gateway, you are able to play backups. It'll launch your regular nand, at 4.5, the only difference being you can press select to play your backups. If you go this route, you SHOULD NOT update, or you're screwed.

What you have done is chosen the format emunand option, which created a whole new menu, launched from the SD card. Gateway automatically loads this up now, whenever you launch it. You can do whatever you want here, update, etc. But apparently, some people are running into trouble, and it appears to be SD-card related (choose a different brand at class 10 and you should be fine). Note, the SD card in question is the one in the 3DS, not in the gateway card.

Don21

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, you can.

When you first set up Gateway (install with blue card, copy launcher, etc), and you first enter gateway, you have a bunch of options. If you don't format Emunand, and instead just launch gateway, you are able to play backups. It'll launch your regular nand, at 4.5, the only difference being you can press select to play your backups. If you go this route, you SHOULD NOT update, or you're screwed.

What you have done is chosen the format emunand option, which created a whole new menu, launched from the SD card. Gateway automatically loads this up now, whenever you launch it. You can do whatever you want here, update, etc. But apparently, some people are running into trouble, and it appears to be SD-card related (choose a different brand at class 10 and you should be fine). Note, the SD card in question is the one in the 3DS, not in the gateway card.

Thank you for all the information i really didnt know that you must format EMUNAND first or else you get screwed by updating the real nand.
My sd card is not so old got it 2months ago

Samsung 32GB micro SD EVO met adapter UHS-I Class 10 48MB/s for gateway and same card but 16gb for the BIG 3ds card.

Thank you alot Wildblood

Wildblood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thank you for all the information i really didnt know that you must format EMUNAND first or else you get screwed by updating the real nand.
My sd card is not so old got it 2months ago

Samsung 32GB micro SD EVO met adapter UHS-I Class 10 48MB/s for gateway and same card but 16gb for the BIG 3ds card.

Thank you alot Wildblood

Np :yaynds:

Be methodical - there's a very easy test you can do. Launch gateway and make a change to the menu - create a folder or something. If that folder appears when you boot the 3DS again, then you know that you're in the same nand (i.e. changes after launching gateway affect things before it was launched). In this case, updating would also affect it.

If however the folder does not appear when you boot your 3DS again, it means that change was made on a different menu - a different NAND. In this case you know that changes made after launching gateway, won't affect the system. (so even if you update here, it won't affect the system pre-gateway launch).

Suffice to say, if you don't format EmuNand, then you have one single nand. your regular menu and gateway are all launched on this. Once you format EmuNand, gateway creates a fake nand on the SD card, and launches from that. When you launch gateway, the system nand is hidden, and you run a fake, emulated nand (hence EmuNand for short).

This is why guides are very clear about being absolutely certain you are in EmuNand before updating. If for some reason gateway launched from systemnand and you updated...you'd permanently update your system and lose gateway.

Reactions: Don21

Don21

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Np :yaynds:

Be methodical - there's a very easy test you can do. Launch gateway and make a change to the menu - create a folder or something. If that folder appears when you boot the 3DS again, then you know that you're in the same nand (i.e. changes after launching gateway affect things before it was launched). In this case, updating would also affect it.

If however the folder does not appear when you boot your 3DS again, it means that change was made on a different menu - a different NAND. In this case you know that changes made after launching gateway, won't affect the system. (so even if you update here, it won't affect the system pre-gateway launch).

Suffice to say, if you don't format EmuNand, then you have one single nand. your regular menu and gateway are all launched on this. Once you format EmuNand, gateway creates a fake nand on the SD card, and launches from that. When you launch gateway, the system nand is hidden, and you run a fake, emulated nand (hence EmuNand for short).

This is why guides are very clear about being absolutely certain you are in EmuNand before updating. If for some reason gateway launched from systemnand and you updated...you'd permanently update your system and lose gateway.

Thanks for clearify much of this.
Some people already helped me out with that. They told me to make 3 maps in each nand. one with Sys and other is Emu. I was really nervous when i did the update but im glad it worked all out. I hope my Sd cards wont get corrupted again:) probably that was the issue where it all started.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
i'll also thank :> just came to this topic to ask if new gateway fw is compatible with newer system firmware, learned something extra about emunand :)

i'll just add something to make sure, once in settings and i check my system version and it starts from gw it means im in emunand and it's safe to update right ?

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i'll also thank :> just came to this topic to ask if new gateway fw is compatible with newer system firmware, learned something extra about emunand :)

i'll just add something to make sure, once in settings and i check my system version and it starts from gw it means im in emunand and it's safe to update right ?

Yes. Just bear in mind once you exit the system settings application the system will reboot to sysNAND

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im still in the habit of saving by pressing home>x is that still neccesary?

Yes, only Card2 games like Pokeman, AC:NL, and Tomodachi Life write the save in real time. I beleive E-shop games also write saves in real time, but havent tested it personally. Card1 games still need Home+X to write the save to the BigSD

Reactions: Doran754

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
and how do you leave settings btw ? last time i left and wanted to reented emunand i ended up running nds profile and had to reinstall exploit.

btw love the emunand feature, kept my nds on 4.4 for a year, even homepass didn't work T_T so as you can imagine i couldn't do anything worth time (i live in small town no chance of street pass)

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and how do you leave settings btw ? last time i left and wanted to reented emunand i ended up running nds profile and had to reinstall exploit.

btw love the emunand feature, kept my nds on 4.4 for a year, even homepass didn't work T_T so as you can imagine i couldn't do anything worth time (i live in small town no chance of street pass)
I just click close at the bottom. Never had to rerun the exploit though

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So after playing around i noticed gateway doesn't seem to see some games:

0958 - Tomodachi.Life.EUR.3DS-BigBlueBox (eu rip)
0894 - Hometown_Story_EUR_MULTi3_3DS-ABSTRAKT (eu rip)
0811 - Sudoku_Plus_7_Other_Complex_Puzzles_By_Nikoli_3DS-VENOM (eu rip)
0265 - Code_of_Princess_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
0158 - The_Oregon_Trail_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
0069 - Mahjong_Cub3d_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
crc seems to match, any idea if there's something wrong i'm doing or is there something witht he dumps ? i originally thought it's region lock but then i noticed it affects some eu games as well.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
So after playing around i noticed gateway doesn't seem to see some games:

0958 - Tomodachi.Life.EUR.3DS-BigBlueBox (eu rip)
0894 - Hometown_Story_EUR_MULTi3_3DS-ABSTRAKT (eu rip)
0811 - Sudoku_Plus_7_Other_Complex_Puzzles_By_Nikoli_3DS-VENOM (eu rip)
0265 - Code_of_Princess_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
0158 - The_Oregon_Trail_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
0069 - Mahjong_Cub3d_USA_3DS-VENOM (us rip)
crc seems to match, any idea if there's something wrong i'm doing or is there something witht he dumps ? i originally thought it's region lock but then i noticed it affects some eu games as well.
have you checked if your micro SD is legit?
im assuming they are showing as white screens

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
im quite sure my microsd is legit, they're not showing at all, they're not on multi rom selection list at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I thought PS4/5 and Xbox One emulation would be kind of easy since they basically just a PC
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    they sorta are a pc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not