Gateway multiplayer question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by midnight1001, Jan 21, 2014.

1. midnight1001
    OP

midnight1001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2011
    Ok so I've got a few questions not related to bricking!!!

So I own an australian 3ds which is part of the European region. So far I have only Used European 3ds roms. I know it is possible to use the gateway to play US region roms. But if I do will download play work with my brothers 3ds which is also australian? And what about local play requiring 2 cards? Say my brother gets a gateway and we both play the US rom on out australian 3ds's will it work?? Or should I just continue using European roms??
    Help anyone and thanks in advance! :)

2. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States

The Gateway does not allow Wifi play, but local multiplayer is okay. From what I remember, I was able to use a US 3DS to play multiplayer EU games with my brother, so theoretically the same should apply to you, unless the rules have changed.

3. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I played Theatrhythm multiplayer using my Gateway emunand with my friend who was using a non-hacked console so I can tell you that local multiplayer works but I dunno about cross-region multiplayer.

4. midnight1001
    OP

midnight1001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 17, 2011
    Ok so playing local multiplayer requires both the console to be the same region and the game/rom to be the same region. However these don't necessarily have to be the same. So for instance I could have 2 European 3ds's and 2 gateways running US games and local multiplayer (so not online multiplayer) should work. Correct?

And what about download play? If I run download play from a US rom will a European 3ds be able to join this and play or does the rom need to be the same region as the 3ds downloading?
    Thanks guys for the help !

5. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    I'm pretty sure there was a thread where someone tried download play with a different region ROM and ran it didn't work. I see no reason why local play wouldn't work though.

6. Puppy_Washer

Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Apologies for necro-ing this thread, but can somebody clarify about whether online multiplayer works if you use a same-region rom? Cheers.

7. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    Online multiplayer will work regardless of region if you set up the header correctly (eg. You can go online with JP rom on a US 3ds)
    However, local multiplayer still requires that you use the same region I believe

8. Puppy_Washer

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Thanks for clearing that up. I actually haven't purchased the GW yet, I'm just investigating whether it's worth it.
    Is setting up the header difficult? Or, better yet, is there a guide that's up to date with the current GW revision?

9. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    It's pretty simple. With gateway rom patcher 0.6 it practically does everything for you
    http://www.ds-scene.net/?s=viewtopic&nid=13353

All you need to do is import a valid header into the rom (Either find a public one or dump it from your own cart) then edit the information to match the rom.
    You might have to tweak the manufacturer a few times though as it can be kind of hit or miss.

10. Puppy_Washer

Jul 18, 2009
    Sydney
    Sweet, thanks for the link. Is there an up-to-date guide or something that contains all this type of information? It's great to know that multiplayer does indeed work, albeit with a little fiddling. Appreciate the help.

11. ScarletCrystals

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
  12. Blueie

Blueie GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2013
    Argentina
    By that you mean that all games being linked must be the same region, or that each game must be the same region as the console running it?