Gateway mode not region free

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Aln, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Aln
    OP

Aln Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2015
    Iceland
    I'm currently running gateway mode on my 3dsxl
    when I downloaded these roms I just downloaded whatever came first regardless of region because gateway -is- known for being region free, isn't it

now apparently whatever rom I put there that wasn't a USA rom appears as blank
    is this a known issue? anyone familiar with this problem?

here's an example:
    [​IMG]

edit: oh sorry I might have posted this in the wrong forum. feel free to transfer this thread to the appropriate place, supervisors

2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    What 3DS firmware and Gateway OS version are you using? Have you tried other microSD cards or formatting the card you're using now?

3. BobPwnz

BobPwnz GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2014
    United States
    Try testing if your micro sd is fake with h2testw

ShawnTRods likes this.
  4. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Gateway is fine. Your microSD is fake.

5. Fatalanus

Fatalanus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Romania
    fake micro SD? What is that?

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    a SD card that is fake.....it says its like 32GB, but in reality it can only hold like 2GB of data

runt h2testw, test your card and prepare to feel scammed

7. KazoWAR

KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2008
    United States
    Winter Haven
    a fake sd card is a sd card that is said to be a 4GB card but it is really 256MB and after 256MB of data is added to the card, files start getting overwritten and corrupted and what not.

8. keyra

keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

Dec 23, 2008
    France
    or... he simply didn't push select

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    he blatantly pressed select, you can see that in the picture.....only 2 possible explanations for the white square issue is
    A) fake/corrupt SD card
    B) fake/corrupt roms

unless you found some dodgy site, fake roms are very uncommon

10. keyra

keyra Spoderman self proclamed fan

Dec 23, 2008
    France
    i see no picture

11. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
  12. Aln
    OP

Aln Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2015
    Iceland

sysnand: 9.2U
    emunand: 9.4
    this is gateway 3.0.1
    the current card is newly formatted. I'm gonna try doing this with another microSD. will report back later

13. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    While you're at it, download and run h2testw on your PC to test your microSD.

14. Fatalanus

Fatalanus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Romania
    oh shit! :D Thanks for the information, guys.
    If you don't want something like this, don't be afraid of big resellers. They get their item directly of original seller, and they will not risk their reputation for something like that! ;)

15. Aln
    OP

Aln Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 11, 2015
    Iceland
    tested european roms with a 16gb other microsd card and it works! oh man I suppose I got two fake 32gb microsd cards. whatever a "fake microsd card" means. pretty lame but they were free so it's okay I guess
    how do you guys explain that it only shows american roms though? pretty weird isn't it?

tried to run the test and estimated time left was 8 hours so I'm not feeling much up to it anymore
    what exactly does this check verify?

transferring roms is real slow btw since the file system is exFAT. will it recognize an NTFS card?

16. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    if it's real slow then it's probably fake. which it is, anyways

tried deleting the roms and putting the non-america roms? like, 1 or 2 whatevs

17. Tomy Sakazaki

Tomy Sakazaki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 23, 2006
    Brazil
    Well, maybe you don't understand the concept of "fake microSD card" because yours seems to be working, but here goes what it may mean:
    1 - If you card is branded as Kingston, Sandisk, Samsung, Adata (any brand) but wasn't made by or to any of these brands. It's not only not genuine/fake, but is also pirating over the recognized brand.
    2 - They say that it has a capacity but actually only a small portion of it works properly, if it says that's a 32gb card but you can only write and read 16gb, 8gb or even less. While they will show on a file list all files that you transferred, it'll only be able to read a part of them (that was written in the actual memory chip, things written beyond the actual memory will give you reading errors).
    3 - They say that it's a high speed card (class 8, class 10 or any fancy new class system), but it's actually very, very slow to write data.
    4 - Cards that were actually made in a recognized brand factory or a factory that outsources to a recognized brand, but were made in unofficial batches (night shifts, irregular shifts, illegal shifts at the fatcory), that lacks quality control and may have been made out of the proper specs.
    5 - Cards that were made with refurbished materials and that weren't quality tested.
    There's a article that does a deep analysis of this kind of situation:
    http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

Hw2test will try to fill your microSD to the maximum capacity that it's controller says that it has. And then it will try to read these info back, to see if they were actually written at the card and to what point they were written.
    If you card is fake and it's informing a wrong capacity, hw2test will fail at the writing or reading process.
    But seeing that a 32gb card had a estimated time of 8h, it probably is fake (if it has a brand like Kingston, Sandisk, etc) or a generic microSD card with really poor specifications (and those doesn't work well with any flashcard device), or your card writer have poor specs or is defective. Try another card writer to see if it works better and with less file corruptions.