Hacking Gateway mode not region free

Aln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'm currently running gateway mode on my 3dsxl
when I downloaded these roms I just downloaded whatever came first regardless of region because gateway -is- known for being region free, isn't it

now apparently whatever rom I put there that wasn't a USA rom appears as blank
is this a known issue? anyone familiar with this problem?

here's an example:
hjdqkh.jpg

edit: oh sorry I might have posted this in the wrong forum. feel free to transfer this thread to the appropriate place, supervisors

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What 3DS firmware and Gateway OS version are you using? Have you tried other microSD cards or formatting the card you're using now?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
a SD card that is fake.....it says its like 32GB, but in reality it can only hold like 2GB of data

runt h2testw, test your card and prepare to feel scammed

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a fake sd card is a sd card that is said to be a 4GB card but it is really 256MB and after 256MB of data is added to the card, files start getting overwritten and corrupted and what not.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
or... he simply didn't push select
he blatantly pressed select, you can see that in the picture.....only 2 possible explanations for the white square issue is
A) fake/corrupt SD card
B) fake/corrupt roms

unless you found some dodgy site, fake roms are very uncommon

Aln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
What 3DS firmware and Gateway OS version are you using? Have you tried other microSD cards or formatting the card you're using now?

sysnand: 9.2U
emunand: 9.4
this is gateway 3.0.1
the current card is newly formatted. I'm gonna try doing this with another microSD. will report back later

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
oh shit! :D Thanks for the information, guys.
If you don't want something like this, don't be afraid of big resellers. They get their item directly of original seller, and they will not risk their reputation for something like that! ;)

Aln

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
tested european roms with a 16gb other microsd card and it works! oh man I suppose I got two fake 32gb microsd cards. whatever a "fake microsd card" means. pretty lame but they were free so it's okay I guess
how do you guys explain that it only shows american roms though? pretty weird isn't it?

While you're at it, download and run h2testw on your PC to test your microSD.

tried to run the test and estimated time left was 8 hours so I'm not feeling much up to it anymore
what exactly does this check verify?

transferring roms is real slow btw since the file system is exFAT. will it recognize an NTFS card?

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
tested european roms with a 16gb other microsd card and it works! oh man I suppose I got two fake 32gb microsd cards. whatever a "fake microsd card" means. pretty lame but they were free so it's okay I guess
how do you guys explain that it only shows american roms though? pretty weird isn't it?

tried to run the test and estimated time left was 8 hours so I'm not feeling much up to it anymore
what exactly does this check verify?

transferring roms is real slow btw since the file system is exFAT. will it recognize an NTFS card?

Well, maybe you don't understand the concept of "fake microSD card" because yours seems to be working, but here goes what it may mean:
1 - If you card is branded as Kingston, Sandisk, Samsung, Adata (any brand) but wasn't made by or to any of these brands. It's not only not genuine/fake, but is also pirating over the recognized brand.
2 - They say that it has a capacity but actually only a small portion of it works properly, if it says that's a 32gb card but you can only write and read 16gb, 8gb or even less. While they will show on a file list all files that you transferred, it'll only be able to read a part of them (that was written in the actual memory chip, things written beyond the actual memory will give you reading errors).
3 - They say that it's a high speed card (class 8, class 10 or any fancy new class system), but it's actually very, very slow to write data.
4 - Cards that were actually made in a recognized brand factory or a factory that outsources to a recognized brand, but were made in unofficial batches (night shifts, irregular shifts, illegal shifts at the fatcory), that lacks quality control and may have been made out of the proper specs.
5 - Cards that were made with refurbished materials and that weren't quality tested.
There's a article that does a deep analysis of this kind of situation:
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?page_id=1022

Hw2test will try to fill your microSD to the maximum capacity that it's controller says that it has. And then it will try to read these info back, to see if they were actually written at the card and to what point they were written.
If you card is fake and it's informing a wrong capacity, hw2test will fail at the writing or reading process.
But seeing that a 32gb card had a estimated time of 8h, it probably is fake (if it has a brand like Kingston, Sandisk, etc) or a generic microSD card with really poor specifications (and those doesn't work well with any flashcard device), or your card writer have poor specs or is defective. Try another card writer to see if it works better and with less file corruptions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs