Gateway microsd and general questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by zergslayer69, Aug 14, 2014.

1. zergslayer69
    OP

zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    Hey guys, I was sort of following the gateway scene back when people kept saying it was a fake and just started looking into it now and A LOT has changed. Tried doing some quick searches but didn't find anything (I probably suck at it). Ok anyways:

1) what's the biggest size microsd that the gateway can accept?

2) I'm looking into the Sandisk ultra cards, but also notice there are the faster extreme editions. Would the gateway be able to benefit from the extreme cards?

3) I notice people are talking about a red/blue version. What's the difference? I think blue is the newer card?

4) I didn't notice any mention about cheat support in the sticky. If you're able to back up the saves, can you use the save editor programs from like datel and powersave to apply cheats?

5) Non gateway related, but if I wanted to transfer the streetpass data from my current 3ds (on latest firmware) to the 4.5 3ds, is that possible? Or would I have to update the 4.5 also?

Phew, thanks if anyone can answer these.

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    1. 128gb i know where usable, but also some people had issues with certain brands/version(could possibly of been people who bought fake 128gb cards though)
    2.not really it would be barely noticeable....but you could at least copy roms on faster
    3.gateway comes with 2 cards, the blue card is a NDS flashcard used to install the exploit, the red card is what runs the 3ds roms
    4. nope not currently, although you can share saves with gateway and there are plenty of premade saves available
    5. not atm the only method for doing that is a system transfer, but currently ver 8.x of the 3ds fw does not work in emunand so you cant to a system transfer (as it requires both consoles to be on the latest FW)

3. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pok├ębro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    1. 64GB has been confirmed, I'm not 100% sure if 128GB has been confirmed yet.
    2. There's been no confirmed benefit to using the Extreme cards (to my knowledge), but I use one just because I bought it on sale on Amazon and it's worked fine.
    3. In order for Gateway to work, there's an exploit that must be installed. This exploit can be installed using a DS-mode flashcart (i.e. a flashcart that is for launching regular DS ROMs). Due to how this works, Gateway ships two cards so that customers without a DS-mode cart can still use Gateway. The Gateway DS-mode card is the blue one (i.e. the cart with the blue sticker/label on it). This cart is mainly used to install the exploit and for running DS games (if you want to). To launch 3DS ROMs, you must use the "red card" (or, the 3DS-mode cart, which is the one that has a red label/sticker on it). The red card will only work after the exploit has been installed from the blue cart.
    4. I don't know.

Just FYI, there are stickies where you can ask basic questions like this instead of having to open a new thread. There's one right up your alley, called 3DS NOOB PARADISE. Post any additional questions there. :)

Edit: Note to self, refresh before posting a long post. Damn you, gamesquest1!

gamesquest1 likes this.
  4. zergslayer69
    OP

zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the answers. About the premade saves, if I use another person's save, will that possibly mess up my ability to go online if they botched something with a header or whatever? Or is the online issue strictly to do with my rom file itself?

Edit: Ok, cool, I'll check out the thread!

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well most saves are actually for offline use and will only work with offline roms i.e .3ds, it is possible to share online saves, but just so your aware to share online saves the header used to create the save must be included too....which generally means it will be using a public header, nobody knows if nintendo will ever block header ID's or even worse ban people using known public header.....personally i think the worst they would do is block the header from online services thus rendering the save offline only, but so far nothing has happened in that department