Hacking Gateway Downgrading

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
once you do it all you will realize how simple it all is. I basically guinea pigged this and put this together so that people (like me at the time) could figure out how to do it on their own

( I may or may not tutorial the ds mode installation if its deemed too complicated, I guess the extra steps can be confusing since they don't need to be done)

Reactions: Ralph1611

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks... i think i have those steps down.

Now when im at the Gateway Menu....and it says Boot Classic and Boot Gateway... once I boot Gateway... how do I update.... cause ive seen it where if you go into settings or leave settings you will be in sysnand..and I want to avoid that. I know ill need the red card and loaded with roms right? Any .3ds will work if I dont want to go online right? if I do want to go online rename them .3dz? Once I get this down i think ill tackle CIA... CIA is a goal of mine.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
if you have a DSTwo, put the .nds file anywhere on your MicroSD card, put it into your DSTwo, launch it, browse to the installer.nds and launch it.
install the exploit. Done.
Blue card is not needed, and if you have another flashcart it's better to use it as you already know how it works.
no need to mess with a new DS flashcart firmwares, files to copy etc.

ATTENTION:
if you choose "Boot gateway" without having EmuNAND prepared to your SD card, you will still be on SysNAND!
updating sysNAND will be game over for you.
if you want to update EmuNAND, be sure to see "GW3DS" text on the settings. If you don't see this, you will update your console's real NAND, not the emulated NAND located on SD card.

there are 4 modes:
Gateway (sysNAND)
Gateway classic (sysNAND)
Gateway (EmuNAND).
Gateway Classic (EmuNAND)

if you "prepare emuNAND", it will format your SD Card.
backup everything first!
once the SD card has EmuNAND on it, it will always boot EmuNAND when you boot into gateway or classic.
it will exit EmuNAND back to sysNAND if you exit EmuNAND settings, monster hunter or Smash bros.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like it worked... I can go to the NDS Profile and get to Gateway............. i went there and looked at the menu... tried to go back into classic mode... and it had a black screen for like forever... i dont know what happened but I had to hold the power button down....

What can i do to avoid this?

EDIT.. nevermind.. i tried again and it went back to classic.. i dont know what happened before.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"going in classic mode" is not the same as "going back".
Classic mode is a patched version where Gateway is doing its magic to allow region free with cartridge.
Gateway mode is the patched version for ROMs.
You don't just "go back" from the gateway menu.

once in gateway or classic mode (either EmuNAND or sysNAND), to go back to unpatched mode you need to shutdown or hard reboot (exiting from Settings menu).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that's what I tried to tell you by "read the FAQ on wiki".
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Hacking_FAQ

learn all the things you should know by reading the page, it will prevent doing stupid things like updating your console while you think you are using emuNAND but are still on real NAND.
it's lot of text, but it's there for a reason.

if users would take time to read FAQs more often, we would repeat less the same things every days on the forum.
all of this has already been covered.
this thread is for downgrading, not for how to use flashcart or what is emuNAND or how to copy file to DS flashcart. (was it hard? what steps would you tell other users to do? copy, launch, done!)

the FAQ is a little old. nobody updated it since Gateway 2.0b1, so it tells you online is not possible for ROM, but it is now. I don't have enough time to do everything, and not a lot of people are helping.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you call legit?
the best to see if a guide is good is to see user's comment, see if the guide's owner is active in his thread to help users and you'll see if he knows what he is talking about or if he just grabbed random and contradicting information and compiled them to be on the same place.

This is what I tried to do with the 3DS Wiki FAQ, I don't know if a lot of users read it. to much information and nobody will want to read.
To much sticky kill its purpose (users already don't read the few we have).
This thread for downgrading is fine.
The thread for save and emuNAND seems fine (I didn't had time to read it yet, but the few I saw I can tell the user who wrote the guide know what he is telling)

There are already lot of FAQs and Guides in the FAQ section.

I"m so blind.....my bad bro.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan is better with wording things and he has made most of the guide nice and neat. I don't pay as much attention to this thread as I did the first 20 pages but I will look at it when I'm on and see that it's been bumped up, and regarding how far someone has gone to help a user or if they need help with something simple depends on my response or if I respond at all.

Deleted member 355359

Trophies
XP
Country
Mongolia
YET ANOTHER successful downgrade. This time it was the Walmart Black Friday 2014 edition 3DS XL with 8.1 on it.
I got this, what, a month ago? Yup. Also I created an emuNAND partition on 4.2 using a spare SD card and restored back to 9.2 so whenever I need to run 4.0 homebrew or dump RAM, I can do that!

Cyal

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In the official downgrading tutorial, they tell you to make sure to keep wifi off, to not get the update nag, before attempting the downgrade.
Quote:
First and foremost, make sure the wifi on your 3DS is kept OFF at all times to avoid Nintendo Update nagging from a pre-downloaded update file unless expressly stated to turn it on. If you do get this nag, you can remove it by formatting your system from the menu, however you will lose all your DLC and eShop titles and, since you are on an older firmware, will not be able to reinstall them from the e-shop on sysnand.
I am on version 9.2 now, but i do get the update message from Nintendo.
So do I need to format my system before I can use the exploit? Or can i just use the exploit anyways?
Because I have some downloaded software on my system that I really don't want to lose...

CycloidCell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to create a 9.4 emunand and then downgrade my console, is there any way for me to keep my 6.x encrypted eshop saves?
Or would they be rendered incompatible despite emunand being on 9.4?

Cyal

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Another successful downgrade here.
From 9.2E to 4.5E.
I also got the update nag after downgrading, but after another restart of the system it was gone lol

Illuzion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to confirm, if I downgrade to 4.2 I'd still be able to play newer games (super smash bros.) after installing the CIA through cfw? Also, I have the Super Smash bros. 3ds that comes with access to the game through the e-shop, so should I back that up or would it still be there after the downgrade? (Note: I'm downgrading without a gateway card)

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
Just to confirm, if I downgrade to 4.2 I'd still be able to play newer games (super smash bros.) after installing the CIA through cfw? Also, I have the Super Smash bros. 3ds that comes with access to the game through the e-shop, so should I back that up or would it still be there after the downgrade? (Note: I'm downgrading without a gateway card)

smash bros not working in cia form. u need gateway or sky3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1