Hacking Gateway Downgrading

KodyKaplish

Trophies
XP
I thought downgrading your 3ds was not possible if you don't have your nand backup did gateway 3ds found a way to bypass that and allow to downgrade even without your nand.

Reactions: Margen67

DavidKang

Trophies
XP
Country
I was on 9.2 US and I was using the internet exploit to play MH4(KR) and it was working well. (I have not installed emuNAND yet)

After I downgraded and installed emuNAND, (on 3.0.1 of course) MH4 doesn't work anymore...

But the other games work very well... Does anyone know?

Saicho7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Noob questions here:

I have a 9.2U sysNAND with NNID and 1 eShop game, haven't used Gateway at all yet.

1. Should I setup emuNAND before or after downgrading to 4.2U? I'd like to use that 1 eShop game, and all my NNID stuff on emuNAND.
2. After downgrading to 4.2U, I hear people talking about upgrading to 4.5U using retail cartridges. Why?

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what's the benefit of downgrading?

- Exploit with DS Flashcart, no internet needed
- When entering emunand, you don't get the new software installed message and cadeauboxes
- Some older DS flashcarts work again

Anything else?
well, and a lot of other homebrew would be able again to work (like ctr decryptor etc.)
and the cadauboxes thing can be solved without downgrading (just format sysnand ;))

gojeta09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Noob questions here:

I have a 9.2U sysNAND with NNID and 1 eShop game, haven't used Gateway at all yet.

1. Should I setup emuNAND before or after downgrading to 4.2U? I'd like to use that 1 eShop game, and all my NNID stuff on emuNAND.
2. After downgrading to 4.2U, I hear people talking about upgrading to 4.5U using retail cartridges. Why?

for gateway function simply is between 4.1 to 4.5 generally people think you need is only 4.5 so is wanting to upgrade .

imreedeer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Sorry but what does this means?

" It appears that if you do not have your sysNAND and emuNAND linked when you downgrade that you cannot open up eShop on 9.4 emuNAND"
Right now i have sysnand 9.2 and emuNAnd 9.4 (i used the maxconsole tutorial)

Also the downgrade tutorial really scared me with the "If you aren't on 4.x then chances are you 3DS was probably bricked (Will boot to a black screen perhaps and not boot into the normal 3DS Menu). I can be of no help, sorry." part, but i was able to follow the emuNand tutorial i shouldnt have problems with this right?

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Sorry but what does this means?

" It appears that if you do not have your sysNAND and emuNAND linked when you downgrade that you cannot open up eShop on 9.4 emuNAND"
Right now i have sysnand 9.2 and emuNAnd 9.4 (i used the maxconsole tutorial)

Also the downgrade tutorial really scared me with the "If you aren't on 4.x then chances are you 3DS was probably bricked (Will boot to a black screen perhaps and not boot into the normal 3DS Menu). I can be of no help, sorry." part, but i was able to follow the emuNand tutorial i shouldnt have problems with this right?

You have sysnand and emunand but if you didn't format sysnand after creating emunand then you sysnand and emunand share the same folder and are "linked"
What you need to do is boot sysnand, remove big sd card from 3ds and go to settings and format system memory. Then after setting up your 3ds with language, region stuff etc, put SD card back to 3ds and let it configure on its own. This will create a separate folder for sysnand on your SD so now when you boot emunand you don't have to unwrap apps every time. Also after doing this you have to enter NNID info again on sysnand cause they are lost from the format and you cannot enter eshop on emunand. After entering your NNID on sysnand you can downgrade your sysnand to 4.5 and everything works perfectly after this.

benefits of 4.5 is that you don't have to connect to wifi in order to triger the exploit cause you can use blue card to run the exploit once and then you can just trigger it from settings ds profile

felystar

Trophies
XP
Country
I read that if both nands are not linked I won't be able to access eShop on emuNAND, is it right? And that thing that I will loose my games and stuff, if I back up my whole SD card and then after downgrading put it back (only the stuff of the emuNAND) everything should stay he same, right? When downgrading does the SD card get formatted?

Saicho7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Noob questions here:

for gateway function simply is between 4.1 to 4.5 generally people think you need is only 4.5 so is wanting to upgrade .

This doesn't really make sense. I understand Gateway blue card hack works with 4.x. Why are people wanting to upgrade to 4.5 specifically after downgrading to 4.2? Is there a point?

You have sysnand and emunand but if you didn't format sysnand after creating emunand then you sysnand and emunand share the same folder and are "linked"
What you need to do is boot sysnand, remove big sd card from 3ds and go to settings and format system memory. Then after setting up your 3ds with language, region stuff etc, put SD card back to 3ds and let it configure on its own. This will create a separate folder for sysnand on your SD so now when you boot emunand you don't have to unwrap apps every time. Also after doing this you have to enter NNID info again on sysnand cause they are lost from the format and you cannot enter eshop on emunand. After entering your NNID on sysnand you can downgrade your sysnand to 4.5 and everything works perfectly after this.

benefits of 4.5 is that you don't have to connect to wifi in order to triger the exploit cause you can use blue card to run the exploit once and then you can just trigger it from settings ds profile

If I understand you correctly, in my #1 case above I should:

1. Run wifi hack, setup emuNAND
2. Upgrade emuNAND to 9.4
3. Now I have "linked" emuNAND and sysNAND?? eShop won't work here in emuNAND 9.4
4. Format sysNAND, now they are no longer "linked"
5. Enter NNID info on freshly formatted 9.2 sysNAND
6. Boot to 9.4 emuNAND and verify that eShop works
7. Downgrade sysNAND 9.2 to 4.2
8. Install blue card hack, backup 4.2 sysNAND, etc...
9. Use old school method to boot into 9.4 emuNAND and eShop still works?

Or are there simpler steps to take in my case?

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
This doesn't really make sense. I understand Gateway blue card hack works with 4.x. Why are people wanting to upgrade to 4.5 specifically after downgrading to 4.2? Is there a point?

If I understand you correctly, in my #1 case above I should:

1. Run wifi hack, setup emuNAND
2. Upgrade emuNAND to 9.4
3. Now I have "linked" emuNAND and sysNAND?? eShop won't work here in emuNAND 9.4
4. Format sysNAND, now they are no longer "linked"
5. Enter NNID info on freshly formatted 9.2 sysNAND
6. Boot to 9.4 emuNAND and verify that eShop works
7. Downgrade sysNAND 9.2 to 4.2
8. Install blue card hack, backup 4.2 sysNAND, etc...
9. Use old school method to boot into 9.4 emuNAND and eShop still works?

Or are there simpler steps to take in my case?

Correct, only one mistake. After emunand update on step 2 eshop works cause your sysnand and emunand are linked and your NNID info are already in your sysnand. Eshop breaks when you format sysnand and NNID info are lost from sysnand.

I have created a tutorial on the whole process here
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...d-emunand-and-eshop-working-correctly.378275/

imreedeer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

First, thanks for the answer :)
But im new at this and im really lost, is there a way to check if my nands are already linked? (i used the "format nand" in the gateway menu, i dont know if you're talking anout that).
Is there a tutorial about this? because what i understood is: i need to connect to nnid in sysnand but i tough that was dangerous D:

Edit: I just saw your last post, im gonna try that tutorial tomorrow, thanks :)

jimskeet2002

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
First, thanks for the answer :)
But im new at this and im really lost, is there a way to check if my nands are already linked? (i used the "format nand" in the gateway menu, i dont know if you're talking anout that).
Is there a tutorial about this? because what i understood is: i need to connect to nnid in sysnand but i tough that was dangerous D:

Edit: I just saw your last post, im gonna try that tutorial tomorrow, thanks :)

If you haven't formatted system memory on sysnand after you created emunand then your sysnand and emunand are linked.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirmed working without a gateway card
Black US 3DS XL
Went from 9.2.0-20(U)-> 4.2.0-9(U)->7.2.0(U)->9.2.0-20(U)
Not a single problem (You can restore a nand backup by holding up while over the downgrade option and clicking A on it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife