Gateway Brick Code

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Hyoretsu, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Hyoretsu
    OP

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    Is there a way to remove the Gateway brick code from newer updates in order to use them with Supercard DSTwo Plus?

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If we could do that then the launcher.dat would be reverse engineered and we'd be happily using our Gateway carts from Luma :-)
    Short answer: no. If you want to use DSTwo+ in Gateway mode you're stuck with 3.4.1.

3. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Shouldn't it be possible to simply block write access to NAND during whenever Gateway starts the brick code? I know absolutely nothing about Gateway though.

Wait, is this the brick that encrypts the entire NAND and makes it unreadable by the 3DS or am I thinking of something else?

4. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    IIRC it sets a password using a security feature that's part of the eMMC command set, but is otherwise unused by the 3DS. Early versions of the brick code used weak passwords that could be cracked with the right hardware (Raspberry Pi), but newer versions I don't think have been cracked yet, so the only option would be to erase the entire flash memory. (If you have a NAND backup, that's a usable option; if you don't, you're screwed.)

There's no real way to prevent NAND writes except by patching the Gateway launcher. FIRM write blocking in CFWs like Luma doesn't actually "block" writes; it patches out the relevant code in the 3DS OS such that it does nothing but returns success.

g309768 likes this.
  5. gohan127

gohan127 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    United States
    uh wait, you're saying the gateway still has brick code? i thought it got removed after all the complaints.

6. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    Why people still want to use gateway launcher with cloners is a mystery to me, if someone is bricked in the present day is only because they want to in reality

7. Hyoretsu
    OP

Hyoretsu Itosugi Masahiro's Loyal Reader

Jan 17, 2016
    Brazil
    I was tempted to buy Supercard DSTwo Plus because of the all-in-one feature. Otherwise, I would instantly go with Sky3ds+ (former Sky3ds fanboy). But, after seeing that Gateway>Sky3ds+, I'm going with Gateway. Just wanted to make sure that there was no way of running Supercard DSTwo Plus on 11.1

Also, what's with that "gateway launcher with cloners"? Are there other "versions" of Gateway launcher?

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Spooky cute.

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I have a serious suggestion and you are going to hate it, but don't use the DSTWO+, it's a shit cart. It's a DSTWO with a gateway slapped onto it, the only other useful features is for DS, GBA, and SNES. But GBA/SNES is done far better through ROM injection and using for DS just drains your battery life.
    Using an R4i Gold + A free CFW would get you far better results.

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    1. If you can run Gateway, you can run a9lh and Luma, which is way better and free.
    2. DSTwo's only advantage over cheaper DS carts is the ability to play GBA and SNES, which you can do on a9lh + Luma.
    It's a bad idea to buy either one.