Gateway and SD card speed - possible slowdowns?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ennea, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Ennea
    OP

Ennea GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    Gambia, The
    A simple question with a hopefully simple answer: is it possible for slowdowns to appear when playing with a "slow" SD card (class 4)? I noticed some slowdowns on some parts of the world map in Tales of the Abyss, but they're further into the game, and I haven't even started the game on my actual cartridge, so I don't want to play all the way to that part. Is it possible that this is actually related to me using a class 4 MicroSD card, or does that also happen when using the regular game cartridge or a class 10 one?

2. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Class 4 works fine here for 3DS games.

3. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Class ratings only refer to write speeds, and some class 10s actually have a worse read speed than some class 4s.

4. JohnnyBlaze1986

JohnnyBlaze1986 FUCK GBATEMP!

Banned
    Aug 10, 2009
    United States
    Your mother's bedroom

Agreed. Personally, I stick with Sandisk and Kingston ONLY. They are the only ones that I've never had problems with.

5. Ennea
    OP

Ennea GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Oh, I wasn't even aware of that. Thanks for the info, maybe I should check out some benchmarks. I personally only use SanDisk class 4 cards, but was curious if the minor slowdowns were related to that at all.

6. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    I have a really cheap one that a friend gave me. I'm not sure what the class is because it's not labeled on the sd card, but I would imagine it's class 2. And it runs games just fine. I can't confirm this, but I don't think that class speed is important at all when it comes to the gateway.