Gateway 3ds savedata backup question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Gilberd, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Gilberd
    OP

Gilberd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Taiwan
    Hello, for the newest gateway 2.2 update savedata backup was added as a function but I am not sure how it works. I backed up my save data from my legitimate cartridge games and I also backed up my own games but the saves files did not show up when I launched my games on gateway. Is there a specific directory that the saves are in and I need to move them? Or are the save files used for retail copies only?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    rename the savefile with the titleID.sav format and put it on the root of the SD card. (not microSD)
    rename the ROM file from .3ds to .3dz to tell the flashcart to use the unique savekey located in your dumped ROM's header.

3. Jiye

Jiye Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2014
    United States

After doing that, does that mean if I remove the game from the micro SD and then later put it back in with the sav file in the SD card I can resume game from before?

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, you can resume game whenever you play it.
    the save file is stored on the root of the SD card, and will be used every time you launch the game.
    The save file on your SD card is updated when you correctly exit the game (Home > Exit), if your battery goes out of power or if you eject the cartridge or hard reset, the save data will not be updated.

Just remember that save files are dependent on the Save key located in your game's header.
    if you use a different header, or a different ROM's extension, it will corrupt your save file.

if you start playing with .3ds, always play with .3ds
    if you start playing with .3dz, always play with .3dz
    if you dump your own game's save, you need you own game's header string in the ROM you are using and you need the .3dz extension for your game.

Scott20 likes this.
  5. Jiye

Jiye Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2014
    United States

so as long as u keep the same file name and extension for the rom file itself, the game will always resume from wherever it was left off cos it was saved on the sd card?

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, but always keep a (or few) backup of your .sav files on computer whenever you can.
    It's always good to make backups than feel sorry for losing game progress :)

7. Gilberd
    OP

Gilberd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Taiwan
    what exactly is the titleID format?
    is it just 211.sav? or Mario Kart211.sav
    also after I dumped my Mario Kart ROM
    I also played the game so there is a save file made for it already
    If I rename my game cartridge's save file titleID.sav, will it supersede the save file made while using gateway
    or will I have to find and delete the gateway save?

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    http://3ds.essh.co/
    you can search for the game on there and look for the titleID field, make sure the region matches for the correct titleID,

also this will only work with games that have a save size of 512kb
    for example when you dump mario kart the save is 512kb so you can use the save

but if you dump ocarina of time the save is 128kb so it will not be usable with gateway

Also if the game uses 6.x save encryption the game must of been played in gateway classic mode, if it uses 6.x save encryption and was played on another console the save will be unusable, games using 6.x save encryption is most released after decmeber 2013

9. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    You can also use 3DS Explorer. Load the game and look at the hex Title ID. It will start with 0x0004... Might come in handy if you can't remember what region the game you *cough* dumped the cartridge from is.

10. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah but if your dumping your own save.....you would have to use the same region rom anyway, and you would need to dump your cart to get the header to match the save your dumping.....so the only issue would be knowing which title ID to use, but i suppose you could use 3DSexplorer to check the rom, but really i think the essh website would be quicker and easier.

11. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I think you glazed over the purpose of *cough* in my reply.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i know what you mean, but the person is talking about using his save dumped via the save extraction tool in gateway........this would mean he would need to have access to the original cart to dump the save, he would also need to dump the same cart to get the original header required to use the save.....so i think its safe to say he would have a legitimately dumped rom

13. Gilberd
    OP

Gilberd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Taiwan
    Thank you all for responding but you all didn't answer my question of what format specifically the gateway wants when it check the .sav name. I checked for mario kart 7 jpn version and it's id is 211. Would I just need to put 211.save? Or would I have input something extra? Also like I said before I have a save file that was created after I launched the gateway and a save that I dumped from my official cartridge how would I find the gateway save on my sd card and delete it since the save files are all seemingly random numbers to me.

14. Dark Fulgore

Dark Fulgore GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2010
    Brazil
    Belo Horizonte - MG
    I can download a Mario Kart 7 save and use it on a patched ROM with different header by renaming it?

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    basically the mario kart jpn title id is "0004000000030600" so your save which is dumped as AMKJ.sav should be reanmed to 0004000000030600.sav
    just remember you need to dump your original game cart too as saves dumped via gateway need the original header from the cart used to create the matching save, so dump the game too and rename the extension to .3dz
    nope the header used to create the save needs to match or the save will show as corrupt

16. Gilberd
    OP

Gilberd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Taiwan
    thank you very much for the clear answer

17. Gilberd
    OP

Gilberd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Taiwan
    sorry did not know that you could scroll on the website so i thought that title id was just the scene release id lol

18. HBK

HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Mar 30, 2007
    Portugal
    If it's Pokemon though, I think the save is in the ROM when you dump the cart (just for future reference in case someone stumbles by).

19. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    I tried dumping Art Academy and my save, and named them according to Cyan's post, and I still got "save corrupted." How can it not work when the ROM and the save are from the same cartridge? Do I still need to edit the header? And how do I do that?

20. Ryanrocks462

Ryanrocks462 Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate

Banned
    Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    California
    what is the size of the save is it 512kb or larger in file size?