Hacking Gateway 3ds savedata backup question

Gilberd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hello, for the newest gateway 2.2 update savedata backup was added as a function but I am not sure how it works. I backed up my save data from my legitimate cartridge games and I also backed up my own games but the saves files did not show up when I launched my games on gateway. Is there a specific directory that the saves are in and I need to move them? Or are the save files used for retail copies only?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
rename the savefile with the titleID.sav format and put it on the root of the SD card. (not microSD)
rename the ROM file from .3ds to .3dz to tell the flashcart to use the unique savekey located in your dumped ROM's header.

Jiye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rename the savefile with the titleID.sav format and put it on the root of the SD card. (not microSD)
rename the ROM file from .3ds to .3dz to tell the flashcart to use the unique savekey located in your dumped ROM's header.

After doing that, does that mean if I remove the game from the micro SD and then later put it back in with the sav file in the SD card I can resume game from before?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can resume game whenever you play it.
the save file is stored on the root of the SD card, and will be used every time you launch the game.
The save file on your SD card is updated when you correctly exit the game (Home > Exit), if your battery goes out of power or if you eject the cartridge or hard reset, the save data will not be updated.

Just remember that save files are dependent on the Save key located in your game's header.
if you use a different header, or a different ROM's extension, it will corrupt your save file.

if you start playing with .3ds, always play with .3ds
if you start playing with .3dz, always play with .3dz
if you dump your own game's save, you need you own game's header string in the ROM you are using and you need the .3dz extension for your game.

Reactions: Scott20

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, but always keep a (or few) backup of your .sav files on computer whenever you can.
It's always good to make backups than feel sorry for losing game progress :)

Gilberd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan

what exactly is the titleID format?
is it just 211.sav? or Mario Kart211.sav
also after I dumped my Mario Kart ROM
I also played the game so there is a save file made for it already
If I rename my game cartridge's save file titleID.sav, will it supersede the save file made while using gateway
or will I have to find and delete the gateway save?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
http://3ds.essh.co/
you can search for the game on there and look for the titleID field, make sure the region matches for the correct titleID,

also this will only work with games that have a save size of 512kb
for example when you dump mario kart the save is 512kb so you can use the save

but if you dump ocarina of time the save is 128kb so it will not be usable with gateway

Also if the game uses 6.x save encryption the game must of been played in gateway classic mode, if it uses 6.x save encryption and was played on another console the save will be unusable, games using 6.x save encryption is most released after decmeber 2013

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also use 3DS Explorer. Load the game and look at the hex Title ID. It will start with 0x0004... Might come in handy if you can't remember what region the game you *cough* dumped the cartridge from is.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You can also use 3DS Explorer. Load the game and look at the hex Title ID. It will start with 0x0004... Might come in handy if you can't remember what region the game you *cough* dumped the cartridge from is.
yeah but if your dumping your own save.....you would have to use the same region rom anyway, and you would need to dump your cart to get the header to match the save your dumping.....so the only issue would be knowing which title ID to use, but i suppose you could use 3DSexplorer to check the rom, but really i think the essh website would be quicker and easier.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I think you glazed over the purpose of *cough* in my reply.
yeah i know what you mean, but the person is talking about using his save dumped via the save extraction tool in gateway........this would mean he would need to have access to the original cart to dump the save, he would also need to dump the same cart to get the original header required to use the save.....so i think its safe to say he would have a legitimately dumped rom

Gilberd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Thank you all for responding but you all didn't answer my question of what format specifically the gateway wants when it check the .sav name. I checked for mario kart 7 jpn version and it's id is 211. Would I just need to put 211.save? Or would I have input something extra? Also like I said before I have a save file that was created after I launched the gateway and a save that I dumped from my official cartridge how would I find the gateway save on my sd card and delete it since the save files are all seemingly random numbers to me.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thank you all for responding but you all didn't answer my question of what format specifically the gateway wants when it check the .sav name. I checked for mario kart 7 jpn version and it's id is 211. Would I just need to put 211.save? Or would I have input something extra? Also like I said before I have a save file that was created after I launched the gateway and a save that I dumped from my official cartridge how would I find the gateway save on my sd card and delete it since the save files are all seemingly random numbers to me.
http://3ds.essh.co/
you can search for the game on there and look for the titleID field, make sure the region matches for the correct titleID,

also this will only work with games that have a save size of 512kb
for example when you dump mario kart the save is 512kb so you can use the save

but if you dump ocarina of time the save is 128kb so it will not be usable with gateway

Also if the game uses 6.x save encryption the game must of been played in gateway classic mode, if it uses 6.x save encryption and was played on another console the save will be unusable, games using 6.x save encryption is most released after decmeber 2013
basically the mario kart jpn title id is "0004000000030600" so your save which is dumped as AMKJ.sav should be reanmed to 0004000000030600.sav
just remember you need to dump your original game cart too as saves dumped via gateway need the original header from the cart used to create the matching save, so dump the game too and rename the extension to .3dz
I can download a Mario Kart 7 save and use it on a patched ROM with different header by renaming it?
nope the header used to create the save needs to match or the save will show as corrupt

Gilberd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
basically the mario kart jpn title id is "0004000000030600" so your save which is dumped as AMKJ.sav should be reanmed to 0004000000030600.sav
just remember you need to dump your original game cart too as saves dumped via gateway need the original header from the cart used to create the matching save, so dump the game too and rename the extension to .3dz

nope the header used to create the save needs to match or the save will show as corrupt
thank you very much for the clear answer

Gilberd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
sorry did not know that you could scroll on the website so i thought that title id was just the scene release id lol

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it's Pokemon though, I think the save is in the ROM when you dump the cart (just for future reference in case someone stumbles by).

GuyInDogSuit

Your friendly neighborhood guy in a dog suit.
Trophies
Website
www.sniffglueworshipsatan.com
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping Art Academy and my save, and named them according to Cyan's post, and I still got "save corrupted." How can it not work when the ROM and the save are from the same cartridge? Do I still need to edit the header? And how do I do that?

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dumping Art Academy and my save, and named them according to Cyan's post, and I still got "save corrupted." How can it not work when the ROM and the save are from the same cartridge? Do I still need to edit the header? And how do I do that?

what is the size of the save is it 512kb or larger in file size?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-was-on-the-wanted-list.652482/#post-10389264