Gateway 3DS online possibility?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mhfan305, May 6, 2014.

1. mhfan305
    OP

mhfan305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    Is it possibly for the Gateway 3DS team to allow rom files to have online features working? Also, if I use a retail cart that has multiplayer (meaning I need the latest firmware) in emunand. Where does my save file for that retail cart go? Onto the card? And does that save file only work while I am in Gateways emunand? Could I not just take that retail cart and use it in a 3DS with the latest firmware for online? Thank you.

2. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    1. Not sure if and when online functionality will be enabled for roms
    2. The save is on the retail cart itself, as it normally would be.
    3. The only retail carts that have save corruption issues are those that require KeyY save encryption, i.e. games that require 6.X
    4. Retail carts will connect online just fine when run in Classic Mode. You only need emuNAND if you need to download an update from the eshop for the retail cart.

3. mhfan305
    OP

mhfan305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    For #3, dont you mean 6.x and above? Or just 6.x?

4. zhdarkstar

zhdarkstar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    We haven't had any retail games released that require 7.x yet, but I'm sure that they'll have similar issues as the 6.x retail carts. Of course, that is provided that we can even launch them via Classic Mode. Although, I'm sure the announcement of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby being released in 6 months will light a fire under the flashcart teams' asses to get 7.x key support up and running. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that those games will require 7.x as Ninty knows that the current flashcarts can't run those games yet.

EDIT: I stand corrected about the 7.1 retail carts as 3ds.essh.co shows that Mario Golf World Tour and Gardening Mama both require 7.1. I've already tested both games on my Gateway with 7.1 emuNAND and both load without incident. Although I'm not sure if those games were made using SDK7 or they just have 7.1 as their update partition.

5. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Probably the later since the roms work on gateway