Gaming gamestop stoping 3ds pre-orders?

desam57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went to a gamestop by my job today to see if they were still taking pre-orders for the 3DS and they said yeah. they told me if i wanted to pre-order it and i told the guy i wanted to pre-order it at the gamestop by my house. the guy told me that they are going to stop taking pre-orders this week, maybe even tomorrow so i should do it today. can anyone confirm this? by the way i ended up preodering it just in case.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is correct
March 10th was the date i heard they would stop
good thing i preordered it 2 months ago
i dont think this applies to games though, just the system

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Stop taking pre-orders? Maybe the store you went to has too many and know they won't have enough units to sell if they continue to accept. I don't think it's a national thing or what not since they still have that pre-order deal running where you trade in you DSi, XL, or DSlite.

I guess I stand corrected from above poster... It's still strange, imo.

desam57

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i told them i was going to pre order at another gamestop and he warned me about them stopping the preorders. so im not sure if it was just for that store.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I'm surprised pre-orders have lasted this long given the crazy hype this product has received. And besides there's only about 2 1/2 weeks until release anyway, I'm sure Nintendo wants to leave plenty of systems for the big box retailers too.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's usually different with systems, as they have to get exact shipments for the people who pre-ordered. I remember at the Wii launch, I went to Wal-Mart for it, and there were only 21 Wiis available. So I camped out for 16 hours and got one. Was fun though.

Glad I pre-ordered mine a while ago, and I'm gonna pay off the rest of the pre-order next week.
biggrin.gif

Bridgy84

Yub Nub
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As far as a cut off date we have not been given one. The way this sorta thing will usually go down is once the company has hit its limit to how many we can guarantee the sku will be taken out of our system as reserveable. This is something that can be done mid day even. I do have to agree that this week sometime will mark the end of reserves though. All of the stores in the company have to have some sorta 3ds section set up by Thursday this week and many did it before Pokemon to drive reserves of course. This in turn has cause a surge of reserves. So if you do want one get to reserving at gamestop or otherwise.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Bridgy84 said:
As far as a cut off date we have not been given one. The way this sorta thing will usually go down is once the company has hit its limit to how many we can guarantee the sku will be taken out of our system as reserveable. This is something that can be done mid day even. I do have to agree that this week sometime will mark the end of reserves though. All of the stores in the company have to have some sorta 3ds section set up by Thursday this week and many did it before Pokemon to drive reserves of course. This in turn has cause a surge of reserves. So if you do want one get to reserving at gamestop or otherwise.
Thanks for the information. With the setups being done does this mean there may be a hooked up but playable 3DS in stores or just arrangement of shelves, sections, and what not?

Bridgy84

Yub Nub
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well out of the 16 stores in my district all but 5 are getting a playable unit. All the stores but 2 are mall stores that are not getting a unit for display. The crappy thins is though the sections are set we will not be getting the unit till at least the something like the 24 of this month till as late as the first week of next month. People want to see the damn thing so I thought Nintendo would get us the units before that. Stupid really but it is what it is.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
lol I understand. There aren't that many of these stores in RI so I'm hoping one of the more fancy ones (all the inner city stores) get to have one on display. I just want to finally get my hands on one before the usual people come up and destroy the screens and buttons just as they did with the NDS @_@

Bridgy84

Yub Nub
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe my Nintendo rep is supposed to be in Friday so i at least hope she will have one i can fiddle with. Also if you have a good sized store around you they will almost be a shoe in to get the display unit.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like there's some truth to what kyomagi said:
kyomagi said:
see what you guys dont understand is this. I have a friend who is a store manager going in to the district manager position. Heres how he explained it.

"we do pre orders until march 10th or until we, as a company, run out, then the code is disabled."

He then stated

"the company knows how many we are getting. everyone who pre ordered will get one."

For example, i asked him how many pre orders he had, he said 60, but the mall store kiddy corner had 14, the store RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET had 20, two miles up had 26 and the store down the road 4 miles had 19. Not every store will have 60 or 70 like his does.

Another clue that retailers know how many their getting is walmart, they completely stopped taking pre orders for the thing online.

Yet another is kmart, they stopped pre orders for the black 3ds but not the blue.

I did some numbers, USA is getting rougly 1.75 mil - 2mil units. Divided that up by 20000 retailers and thats about 80+ systems per store MINIMUM. unless your store has 80+ pre orders, i would not worry.

I keep getting the same answer (even got a email from corp) If you preorder and go to the release, you will get one.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
That sounds good. We gained a new Gamestop about 2 or 3 years ago but it's strange how we now have about 4 stores all located very close to each other. If that's true though, I know for a fact the usual Gamestop nearby will have it soon enough
happy.gif

benno300

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe this sound noobish(I think it sounds that way:)
But I didn't pre order in my country is there a possibility for me to get it at launc r am I doomed to wait till they get a new load?
Can't I just go to a game shop and get one?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
benno300 said:
Maybe this sound noobish(I think it sounds that way:)
But I didn't pre order in my country is there a possibility for me to get it at launc r am I doomed to wait till they get a new load?
Can't I just go to a game shop and get one?
Probably not. There's a chance you could walk in and get one, but if your store has taken as many preorders as they're receiving units, you'll have to wait until the next batch or try another store. I'd recommend going early in the morning or at the midnight launch if you want to try chancing it like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.