Gamestop Review

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My girl is manager at Gamestop.

It's a good place to get cheap accessories once in a while, usually on older hardware.
I've always wanted a PS2 Eye and now they sell them at $2.99.

I got a Gamecube broadband adapter at $0.99 brand new.

It's true the trade in prices suck, but no one is making you go there rather than craigslist or eBay.

And it's true that they open the games and then sell them as new.

What I don't get is why people here act like they are forced to go there!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I received a copy of ES IV: Oblivion as a gift, but I wanted the GOTY version so I went to Gamestop to trade my non-GOTY version for a GOTY version. Unfortunately I made the mistake of opening my copy before trading. Even though I only played it once and all of the contents were intact, they bought it from me for only $3.85 worth of store credit. They had only one "new" copy of GOTY but it was already opened. I asked them why it was unsealed and they said it was because they used it for the display case. I shrugged my shoulders and said "sure, I'll take it" because they assured me it was new. So the guy went to get the game, stuck it in the empty case and sold it to me unsealed at the "new" price.

I got to my car and before driving away, I sat there in the parking lot and opened the case just to check the contents. I noticed that it was missing the map. I knew it was supposed to come with a map because my non-GOTY version had one. I went back into the store to inquire about the map, and the guy seemed very apologetic about it. He looked all over the store for it, but couldn't find the map that was supposed to be in the case. So I asked if I could have my map that was in the non-GOTY game that I had just traded in. He was hesitant to give it to me, but then I reminded him that I had just paid the full price for a "new" game, so he should give me the map. I also pointed out that they were going to sell my copy "used" anyway and it doesn't make a difference to them if it's missing the manual or if the contents are intact--they would still sell it for the same price regardless. So he relented and gave my map back to me. I found out later that the GOTY map contains an extra inset for the Shivering Isles, which was missing from my map.

The truth is, I never look at those maps that come with RPGs. I never have, so why should I even care? It's because I sold a pristine copy of the non-GOTY Oblivion for chump change and paid full price for an unsealed, "new" Oblivion GOTY edition that didn't even come with the complete case contents. I even had to argue just to get my map back. If I buy something brand-new, I expect everything that came sealed in the case to be included. In retrospect I wish I had just given my original copy to a friend and bought the GOTY edition elsewhere.
:unsure: Odd, I had a similar experience with EB Games where I live (which is in Canada). Back in 2006, I ended up buying a used copy of Oblivion on 360 (and I remember having to wait more than half an hour for them to find a disc in the back of the store). It didn't come with a map (like it should have), but I didn't expect one because my Morrowind GOTY on Xbox didn't come with one (AFAIK only the original version came with one and the Platinum Hits GOTY version came with an updated one, and the regular GOTY version which I had didn't have one in the first place). In 2009, I decided I wanted to switch for the GOTY version, so I went to EB Games to trade in my old version which had only light scratches. They decided that I would actually have to pay them $2 to take it, so I just ended up keeping it and buying the GOTY version without trade-in. It came with everything though, even the updated map.

And then a month ago, I was going to pre-order Skyrim at Future Shop (that's Best Buy to you American people), but they refused because apparently "they had no preorders left", so I was forced to preorder at the EB Games next door. They gladly accepted my preorder, but they misspelled my last name on the receipt. I later found out that the same people also misspelled my cousin's last name when he preordered it, merely coincidental (the people put an L where an O is supposed to be on mine, and put an O where an L is supposed to be on my cousins'). When I picked up the game at midnight release, everything (but the disc) was outside of the case underneath the shrinkwrap. The label wasn't even put in, everything was loosely moving around. Don't know why it was like that, but now I have a small rip on the label from what I assume was from shipping.

Also, my experience with exchange there was slightly displeasing. Back in 2007, I was able to exchange my broken GH3 guitar (that came in the bundle) with no issues. But last year, I got a broken DJ Hero turntable for I think $50 at a Gamestop (still in the city), and found out that the local EB Games was selling the exact same thing for $65. Since their exchange policy allows me to exchange it between different stores, I went ahead and exchanged it at the local EB Games, but they ended up charging me the extra $15 for the exchange (until I went to complain, and they refunded the $15).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    She saw the sign and it opened up her mind lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/iqu132vTl5Y?si=MZw4KpDtlawLZNEF