Gamestop employees

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by SubliminalSegue, Mar 20, 2011.

Mar 20, 2011

Gamestop employees by SubliminalSegue at 8:20 PM (2,605 Views / 0 Likes) 37 replies

1. SubliminalSegue
    OP

Member SubliminalSegue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If anyone here works at GS, I have a question for you:

Does working at a Gamestop make you think you know more about games than God Himself? Everyone I've talked to at the Gamestops I've gone to, have this incredible sense of pride, like you have this unknown source of info that I don't. My friend works at one, and the ego on this kid. I understand you have to deal with stupid people all day, but does that give em the right to treat customers like sheep? I've already proved to my home GS that I am more knowledgeable than them.

Where does this ego come from?

2. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    I'm surprised that I agree with you. Gamestop seems to hire people with the HUGEST egos known to all man kind.

3. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Minimum wage job that involves some knowledge of the product tends to attract people like this. You'll see the same in fancy clothing stores and the like. Anywhere that the sales people are not on commission and therefor have no incentive to treat you with respect.

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Generally my experience with Gamestop employees is unpleasant.

First off, they're completely lifeless and unfriendly unless you, by some miracle, bring up their interest. Like you may be buying WoW or something and they'll but like "WOW I LOVE WORLD OF WARCRAFT!" and go on and on about it for 15 minutes, with other customers being ignored.

They're often ungrateful and can hardly manage a friendly smile or a "hello"/"goodbye"

Fuck Gamestop employees, if you need anything from Gamestop buy it online.

5. Puppy_Washer

Member Puppy_Washer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I used to work at EB Games, which is the Gamestop of Australia. I think the US has maybe 1 EB Games left.
    I totally understand the point you're getting at. I wasn't like that, though. I knew that mostly every customer knew the same as I did, so I engaged with them on a "we're both gamers" level.

The most I'd do is say "you'll love this game!" as customers purchased their games, but only if I knew that it was a good title. And maybe throw in a comment or two about the good points of the game, as I'm doing the transaction.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    So true.

In fact, there were only two people I've ever met at Gamestop that I ever found pleasant. One was very down to Earth and tried to be your friend (in an unusually non-creepy way), and the other was the most helpful guy you'll ever meet in a store.

That said, that is only two people out of the 10 years I've been going to Gamestop, so that should tell you something...

7. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    Just depends on the person, you know? My local Gamestop used to have some awesome guys working there. I don't shop there as much anymore, I mostly use Steam for my gaming needs.

8. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I usually get on fine with GAme employees in the UK. They're much more tolerable than shop assistants who flutter thier eyes at you ,to sign up for some bastard store card with incredably high interest.

9. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Believe it or not, not all employees start out like that. It's just that dealing with shitty customers day in and day out makes you jaded to video games in general. Not that i'm excusing their actions, but that's just the natural progression of a gamestop employee.

10. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    I hate Gamestop, the last time i went, i bought a used Metroid GC game, and noticed there was no booklet included.
    So i went back in to ask for one, and the Simpsons comic book guy looking mofo instantly gave me major attitude, like i was out of line to ask for the fuggin booklet.
    I wont buy games there anymore.

11. SubliminalSegue
    OP

Member SubliminalSegue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Gamestop I'm referring to is acutally an EB Games. But they are essentially the same store, so I've learned to just call them Gamestop.

I dunno, I haven't really gotten anything there lately, cause they mark-up games so fucking high. I mean used games stay 50 bucks forever. I can get Halo Reach for like 15 bucks for what they're selling it for 50 used. It's ridiculous.

Another thing I hate is the exclusive pre-order bonus crap. And this isn't just GS. Back when I pre-ordered Smackdown vs. Raw 2011, all I got was 20 bucks off a PPV. Best Buy had an exclusive unlockable character. When I preordered Yakuza 4, I got a dashboard theme. A THEME! Useless.

12. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Yeah, I'd believe that, spending as much time as I do looking for a good game in my price range, I hear how much crap they have to go through.

13. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    Then why doesn't Monkat work there?

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Because Monkat is the MCP for Gamestop POS servers.

15. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Oh man, iFish making a GOOD joke? Shit, is the world ending? Lol

16. DAZA

Member DAZA Shaun's Mum

United Kingdom
    I have had that before at one games store in the UK, the bloke came across like he was GOD and knew everything their was about games and consoles so i decided to play my part in it, so i tore strips out of him.... left him quite embaressed in front of his boss and work colleagues for total lack of intelligence and not having the capability of knowing his role in the company lol. The boss told him to sort some boxes out back and the boss came to appologise to me for the situation, gave me discount..... All in a days work i think lol

Oh BTW never saw that person there since, so i dont know if they kept hin out back sorting boxes or decided to get rid of him for being an arrogant prick lol

17. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i find it really funny when i ask for something at gamestop and the 18yr old kid has no idea when that game was released or for what system it was on. i got a great laugh when i was tracking down a gameboy pocket for my mum. the guy was like "what is the gameboy pocket" and i was so shocked that he was working at a game store and didn't know that i just stared at him for a long 30 seconds. i've had nothing but bad luck with gamestop (and eb games). rude employees, people how know little-to-nothing about actual gaming, etc. not to mention their stupid return policy, how they will only give partial store credit if the game is open. back in the day you could say "this game really sucks" and the store would take it back. now they expect you to argue for your $60 back. i've delt with many used game shops who simply say "i'm sorry" and give back your money, and others just give store credit, but at least its not partial credit. my sister's boyfriend worked for gamestop for over 2 years. he told me tales of how they would take in old games (nes, genesis, etc) on trade. after a few months they were ordered to distroy the games because they were "to old" for them to sell them. what kind of bullshit is that? he has a nice collection of nes carts because he would just put them in his car instead of destroying them. oh and get this, they provided an actual hammer to destroy the carts with.

you want a good video game shop check out www.gamedude.com. based in northern california, they are my used shop of choice. they stock most anything but tend to focus on the gamecube+ era of gaming. you can find stuff as old as the atari2600 there and systems like the sega nomad, but sadly no virtual boy stuff =P

-another world

18. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Arrogance and Douchebaggery are requirements for working at Gamestop.

19. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    The value of a Gamestop employee is judged not on how polite they are or their knowledge of games, it's their ability to up-sell a purchase. I've heard that from several G-stop employees on neogaf.

20. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    My opinions on gamestop are all based on the fact that Spikey used to work there.
    Now he's (probably) filing a lawsuit against them.

However, in regards to games stores in general - the only gamestore I ever bother going to anymore, is a random branch of GameStation, and it encourages it's employees to not be idiotic morons. So instead of having someone trying to assert their minimum-wage opinion over yours, you have someone who is all too keen to accept whatever you say (in regards to games) and who actually knows things about some games. I'm also rather alarmed by the fact that a recent addition to the uniform would appear to be a WoW character profile tag.

So yeah, not saying that I miss the douchey idiots who work in most gamestores, but well, the alternative is just as weird.