Games start but do not load

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Pilzkopf777, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hello there.
    First of all I hope this is the correct place to ask. If not, please move this thread.

I own retail copies and use the Backup Manager to move them on a NTFS-Drive so I could play them with USB Loader GX (or any USB loader for that matter).
    When starting any game nothing unusual happens. Safety instructions show up normally.
    However, the game simply doesn't load. Games like Mario Pary 9 even have a screen telling you that the game is loading files - nothing happens though. It simply loads on for eternity.
    Does anyone have an idea why this happens and how to fix it?

SysCheck (I have no idea why it's in German):
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Pilzkopf777, Jun 11, 2016
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Try with IOS249 and IOS250, most games work with IOS249 but some need IOS250. There are one or two shovelware games that require IOS251 but you most likely will not need it. IOS249 should be set as the default. 202/222-224 are old and you shouldn't need them, Hermes cIOS is no longer being developed.

3. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for answering!
    Using IOS249 or IOS250 doesn't seem to do anything. The games still don't seem to load correctly. Mario Party 9 doesn't even get to the safety instructions anymore (after clicking play it fades to black).

4. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Not a fan of pushing but I'm really clueless. Does anyone have an idea?

5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    What kind of drive is it? Does it have its own power or is it USB-powered? Bus-powered drives should come with a Y-cable that needs to have both plugs connected.

6. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    It's a USB 2.0 Drive from Hitachi. There's seems to be no problem with the connection as I can play my GCN backups (on a second partition) with ease.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    usually it's just backscreen but it doesn't hurt to verify :
    Check that your game's ISO (or wbfs) are not write protected. That's a cause of issue, I don't know why as it doesn't need to write anything to the iso.

That's all I can think of for the moment, but I might come back later when I have more ideas.

8. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    The WBFS-files are not write protected. However, thank you all for your assistance and advice.

9. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    EDIT:

Well, for some reason it works now.
    I'm okay with that.

Last edited by Pilzkopf777, Sep 16, 2016
  10. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    did you try another devices ? a different hdd, or sometime even a different USB cable (I know it looks silly, but it helped few users). edit : looks like it was that issue again :P

Did you try to reset USBLoaderGX settings and/or reinstall a clean version ? (delete or rename the current folder for backup and put only boot.dol, icon and meta in a new apps/usbloader_gx/ folder)

like I said above, when there's an issue it's usually not booting at all, blackscreen or reboot. You said you see the game screen, it just stay on loading screen, which is a strange behavior.
    I don't have new ideas, sorry.

11. Pilzkopf777
    OP

Pilzkopf777 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2016
    Gambia, The
    As it turns out the Y-cable of my HHD was broken. GCN games seem to run fine when using only one cable but the Wii games need both cables to be plugged in.
    I just fixed the second cable, popped them both in, started the game - and it works!
    Thanks for all the help on the issue!