Games freezes randomly using USB Loader GX. cIOS problem?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gridatttack, Dec 22, 2012.

1. gridatttack
    OP

Member gridatttack GBAtemp Fan

El Salvador
    So I have installed the 249 d2x cIOS via the latest version of sciifii offline downloader.

I have this old 80GB HDD that formatted fine in WBFS, and USB loader gx recognizes it, but here is the problem.

When playing a game (I tested NSMBW and SSBB) They seem to freeze at randomly. I can tell that the game freezes often when loading something (I can tell when the HDD is being read), sometimes, it just freezes randomly. But there has been situations in which I can play it fine for more than 20 mins, but then after being used more, its more likely to freeze. (stability issue?)
    However, I asked somewhere else, and apparently the cIOS might be the problem.

So is this freezing error is related to the hard drive disk, or its related to the cIOS version im using?
    Any help would be appreciated :)

2. AngryGeek416

Member AngryGeek416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Argentina
    Install d2x v8final in 249&250 slots. Format your hardrive to fat32 forget wbfs thats such a old format. Then you can use a WBFs manager to turn wii iso into .wbfs files and put them on the FAT32 HD much easier and reliable.

3. gridatttack
    OP

El Salvador
    Thanks. Ill try out ^^

Still I wonder, why I cant format the whole drive to FAT32, only to exFAT. I guess its because of the big space available?

4. Conmore

Newcomer Conmore Advanced Member

United States
    No, are you using the default Windows App to do it? Because iirc, that won't work. Try using EASEUS with FAT32 and 32k clusters. NEVER FORGET THE 32K CLUSTERS. Seriously. I emphasized this on a tutorial of mine, yet a few people ignored it, and thought my tutorial was just broken. >.<

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Windows doesn't let you format partition in FAT32 bigger than 32GB (what sooo limited!)
    But you can format them up to 2TB with other tools.

But, the problem here is not your partition. Do not convert/format your drive for nothing. you can keep WBFS.

Everyone helping here didn't ask which BASE IOS you used.
    installing d2x cIOS is not the only thing to do, you need to install the correct cIOS from a lot of choices!

Freeze can happen for different reasons:
    - Your HDD has a sleep timer, and you are using an old cIOS without anti-sleep HDD (this is not your case)
    - Your BASE IOS is wrong. Could happen if you are using a base58, it sometime doesn't work with all games.

When you install a cIOS, you need an official IOS (called the base IOS) to which you apply patches to convert it into a custom IOS. That base IOS is important, and that's what users should always tell when they have a problem.
    Telling "249" is not useful, it's what you install into the slot 249 which is important.

Do you know the base you are currently using?
    If it's base58, reinstall the cIOS d2x v8 to slot 249 with base 56
    You can also install cIOS d2x v10 (not alt) for Wii (not virtualWii), with base56

6. gridatttack
    OP

El Salvador
    Thanks! Now I know which cluster to use :D

Im using cIOS 249 2dx8 base 56 and 250 2dx8 base57.

Also I have to ask. I tried to make a partition of FAT32 and added in a .wbfs file in the dirve, but usbloader gx doesnt seem to list the file. Is it some settings I missed to change in usbloadergx?

7. Cyan

France
    you need to put it in the correct folder and subfolder.
    The best practice it to use WiiBackupManager, it will move it in the correct place, with the correct name.

If you already have base56, then I don't know why it's freezing.

8. gridatttack
    OP

El Salvador
    It worked. Still the game crashes.

I think its the HDD itself.
    Its an old hitachi 80GB that I got for free (otherwise it would have been trashed)
    I guess I would need a more recent one...

(or is it crashing because I read somewhere that to use FAT32 you need the hermes cIOS?[which I dont have])

9. Cyan

France
    Hermes cIOS is one of the custom IOS compatible with FAT32
    It's not the only one. (Waninkoko cIOS rev18+, and all d2x cIOS can load games from FAt32 too)

homebrew are using only one cIOS at a time. having hermes or not has nothing to do with your problem.

If you can try another HDD or even USBstick, that will tell you if the problem is your drive.

10. gridatttack
    OP

El Salvador
    so yeah. At the end it turned up to be the HDD themselves.
    I tested NSMBW which freezed a lot before, and now in this 8GB kingston DT USB, which I used for gamecube games, it runs fine, without a single crash.
    Only problem is that brawl takes so much space...
    I will need to get a new HDD then.