Gamepad randomly turning itself on

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by vassildador, May 5, 2014.

1. vassildador
    OP

vassildador Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    Hello everyone,

So I've had a Wii U since october 2013 (Wind Waker bundle) but the past couple of weeks something strange has been going on, and I can't seem to pinpoint the cause.

At seemingly random times the gamepad turns itself on and displays a message about not being able to detect the Wii U system. At first I thought this could be caused by interference of some sorts, as did Google, so I turned off the power for all the electronic devices in the room (PC, TV, Wii U, speakers and other consoles) before I went to bed. Later that night it happened again and it woke me up cause I forgot to turn the sound of the gamepad off :D

Has anyone had any similar issues and/or ideas of how to fix this?

2. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Are you sure the tablet isn't just in sleep mode? I would turn it off, then turn the console off, and then see if the tablet wakes up after a while.

3. vassildador
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    Can you even put the tablet in sleep mode when the console is powered down (actually unplugged) :o?

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I don't have one yet (wish I did). I was thinking more along the lines of, the Wii displays a message saying communications with the remote have been disconnected; please reconnect. But maybe the opposite is happening with the tablet/console: the console turns off or something and the tablet gives you this message.

5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    First, it's not a tablet it's Wii U's GamePad, and second, you can turn off the screen by going to the settings but you'd then need an additional controller to use the on-screen menus/game.

A tablet is something that works without the need of another device which the GamePad can't except for basic TV use.

6. vassildador
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    I don't want to be a dick, but did you even read what you quoted? It seems you only replied to point out a debatable mistake in my terminology. I'll refrain from making an equally "constructive" post to point out your grammatical/punctuational errors as I'd rather not ruin my own thread.

I know it's possible to turn off the GamePad's screen when the console is on. I clearly stated that the console is off. As far as I'm aware there is no way of keeping the GamePad on when the console is off (outside of TV mode).

When I have some more time I'll see if I can provide some proof that this is actually happening :)

7. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    The gamepad's wifi is always on as long as it has battery charge, whether the wiiu is on or off, so either some wireless signal is interfering with the gamepad or it's faulty. Maybe try to get a friend's gamepad to test or resynch the gamepad to the wiiu...

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    If that's not the reason, you may want to invest in an exorcist. The Wii U gamepad shouldn't be turning itself on unless there's something wrong with one of your buttons.

9. vassildador
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    WiFi interference sounds quite possible, as my phone is constantly connected :) I'll try capturing it this weekend to give you guys an idea.

Edit: unfortunately due to the randomness of the problem I was unable to record it :( I let my phone record video for about 5 hours in which it did not occur. Of course, as soon as I went to bed and fell asleep I woke to an incredibly bright and noisy Wii U gamepad :D.... I think it's watching me sleep :ohnoes:

10. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Keep a screwdriver near the thing and open it up and disconnect the battery when not in use. That's what I do (but just to conserve the battery, not because mine is haunted).

11. vassildador
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2013
    Belgium
    Apparently it doesn't occur when the gamepad cradle is still powered with the Wii U gamepad in it. This makes less sense by the day :)
    Perhaps the new update will fix it as it seems they've changed some Wii U <-> Gamepad communication stuff in standby. I'll give it a try tonight ^^