GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What do you guys think of this? This is easily the best Gamecube portable I've ever seen. It features an actual battery (rare for these portables) and uses SD to read ISO images rather than actual discs (both more battery efficient and secure). The First video is "version 1", and goes over most of the features (battery, for example), and the second video is "version 2", and is updated with better analogs and goes over some other features (memory card data transfer and external control outlets for playing on the TV, for example). Ashen actually will do commissions for these, but they'll run you about $1000. Crazy Gamecube fanatic that I am (my favorite Nintendo console), I might just go ahead and get one of these.

Version 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGAogDgQ7f8&feature=my_favorites&list=FLzb7uYTi33mfoFEkeLo0IJw

Version 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ5LFEgI5GQ&feature=my_favorites&list=FLzb7uYTi33mfoFEkeLo0IJw

Let me know what you think... and if you know of any other portables that match/better this one!

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I blame either of you guys, lol. But like I said, I'm a fanatic. :ha:

(Response to a comment from another thread)
A portable Gamecube? Out of curiosity, what games do you really like on the system that would make you want to spend $1000 anyway? Just curious :). I personally didn't enjoy the library on it that much except for maybe MK, Super Smash Bros Melee (or w/e it was) and Mario Sunshine.. The Zelda collection was cool too I guess, so that wouldn't warrent the price tag for me... A portable Gamecube... would be mostly for bragging rights I feel ;)
Honestly, the gamecube is possibly my favorite video game console of all time. I never ended up getting a Wii (because I'm broke) but I never got tired of my old Gamecube favorites Honestly, I probably wouldn't consider spending $1000 if I wasn't already almost halfway there (I got lucky and ended up with $400 in tax returns this year, and as a college student, I literally have no other use for the money right now). But combine that with the fact that I can run any Gamecube game on it for free (they're getting pretty scarce and expensive now, since Gamestop is phasing them out), and ON THE GO (as a college student, that's a huge plus for me), and that's arguably the best system I'll ever own.

I could list the Gamecube games I love to play if you want, but it'll be kinda long. lol

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I'd ask to add in my commission (if it didnt add too much to the price or make the portable too much bigger) is if he could somehow build in 4 wavebird wireless sensors into the portable... that way, it'd finally be a true, fully functioning gamecube for 4 player, and there'd be no need for a regular one at all! :-D

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh not that expensive. If you ask your local Gamestop they'll pull out a box of gamecube titles they have stored. I recently grabbed Pokemon: XD Gale of Darkness for $15, Animal Crossing for $3.99, Matrix Collection for $2.99, and Sonic Adventure: DX for $4.99. Shoot, you can buy a SD Media Launcher for about $30-$40's. Free games galore. If you like the cube that much I'd stick to the stay at home console. Do you live on the Campus, or at home? I don't see you using it too much during classes, and the amount of time I'd imagine you spend going back and forth from school to home (If you don't live on the Campus.) Wouldn't justify a $1000 purchase. Hey don't get me wrong, I'd love to get my hands on one but the $1000 price really leads me astray. It's your monies, spend it as you wish.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Does it have TV Out? I'm too lazy to watch the video.
The version 2 in the second video does, yes. It also has 2 controller ports.

Eh not that expensive. If you ask your local Gamestop they'll pull out a box of gamecube titles they have stored. I recently grabbed Pokemon: XD Gale of Darkness for $15, Animal Crossing for $3.99, Matrix Collection for $2.99, and Sonic Adventure: DX for $4.99. Shoot, you can buy a SD Media Launcher for about $30-$40's. Free games galore. If you like the cube that much I'd stick to the stay at home console. Do you live on the Campus, or at home? I don't see you using it too much during classes, and the amount of time I'd imagine you spend going back and forth from school to home (If you don't live on the Campus.) Wouldn't justify a $1000 purchase. Hey don't get me wrong, I'd love to get my hands on one but the $1000 price really leads me astray. It's your monies, spend it as you wish.
Indeed, but once gamestop finally runs out, I don't want to deal with ebay, etc for games. I actually have a XenoGC on my gamecube right now, and it is such a freaking PAIN to find out how to use it and find DVDs of high enough quality. -_- Plus, I do live on campus, but i absolutely LOATHE my dorm, so i avoid it much as possible. But on campus or at home, it would be really nice to be able to be working on the library, take a break, and just play gamecube for about 20 minutes during my break to destress. lol.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd drop 1K on this. I can get a Gamecube and some great games for around 100, but throwing 1K at this doesn't seem like a hard task. This is only me talking as if I'm a 100% Gamecube fan and would do anything to continuous enjoy one, but I'm not that guy.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Considering a Gamecube itself is like $30 nowadays (or less), I don't see why anyone would pay $970 worth of materials and labor for this.

I may as well buy a real man's gaming console like a Vita.
I considered getting a Vita, but I don't want to worry about TWO libraries of games to budget (I already have a 3DS), plus at least right now, there's flat-out no games that i really care for on the Vita. Now, if they hack the Vita and can efficiently emulate Gamecube, then that'll be a different story for me. :ha:

Plus, remember it's not just $30 for the gamecube, the portable screen he used costs about $150 everywhere I've looked. Plus at least $15 for the controller (assuming he sacrificed only one). Plus a typical Gamecube portable battery (yeah, it does exist to go along with the screen) is really expensive too, though I don't remember how much exactly. Granted, still nowhere NEAR $1000, but it's something to consider. Even with JUST those four materials, you'd be paying way more than $30. Plus, the games themselves are free this way.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't say I blame either of you guys, lol. But like I said, I'm a fanatic. :ha:

(Response to a comment from another thread)
A portable Gamecube? Out of curiosity, what games do you really like on the system that would make you want to spend $1000 anyway? Just curious :). I personally didn't enjoy the library on it that much except for maybe MK, Super Smash Bros Melee (or w/e it was) and Mario Sunshine.. The Zelda collection was cool too I guess, so that wouldn't warrent the price tag for me... A portable Gamecube... would be mostly for bragging rights I feel ;)
Honestly, the gamecube is possibly my favorite video game console of all time. I never ended up getting a Wii (because I'm broke) but I never got tired of my old Gamecube favorites Honestly, I probably wouldn't consider spending $1000 if I wasn't already almost halfway there (I got lucky and ended up with $400 in tax returns this year, and as a college student, I literally have no other use for the money right now). But combine that with the fact that I can run any Gamecube game on it for free (they're getting pretty scarce and expensive now, since Gamestop is phasing them out), and ON THE GO (as a college student, that's a huge plus for me), and that's arguably the best system I'll ever own.

I could list the Gamecube games I love to play if you want, but it'll be kinda long. lol

I still have my old gamecube, but the only time I ever really play games on the go is when I am flying to the states and back so I don't get that luxery at home and would probably be better with an actual console plugged in to my TV if I wanted that :P.

The videos you linked are definately better than the gamecube portable I was thinking of.. But the problem I'd have with it is the thickness of the console. Like someone said, if it is something you would use and could justify the price of it (I felt really bad when I paid $140ish for a PSP GO + Accesories but don't regret it) then it is subjective. I could easily afford this too but I'd end up crying knowing I spent that much on a gaming console lol.

If you do end up getting one I'd like to hear about it though, I am curious about those home made portable console mods. I had my eye on a PS2 one for a while, but when I realised I'd only end up playing a few select RPG games I decided against it in the end.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I still have my old gamecube, but the only time I ever really play games on the go is when I am flying to the states and back so I don't get that luxery at home and would probably be better with an actual console plugged in to my TV if I wanted that :P.

The videos you linked are definately better than the gamecube portable I was thinking of.. But the problem I'd have with it is the thickness of the console. Like someone said, if it is something you would use and could justify the price of it (I felt really bad when I paid $140ish for a PSP GO + Accesories but don't regret it) then it is subjective. I could easily afford this too but I'd end up crying knowing I spent that much on a gaming console lol.

If you do end up getting one I'd like to hear about it though, I am curious about those home made portable console mods. I had my eye on a PS2 one for a while, but when I realised I'd only end up playing a few select RPG games I decided against it in the end.
If I do end up getting this (probably over the summer, once I've saved up the rest of the money needed), I'll definitely post an update. Maybe even write a review on my blogspot. Either way, I'll definitely let you know. :)

I agree about the console thickness, but I can't imagine that they could make it any thinner without turning it into an emulator instead of a "true" console. And since my pockets are all already filled (3DS, smartphone, headphones, wallet), I'll be keeping it in my backpack anyway (which I take everywhere I go). So for me, it wouldn't really be a problem.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree, the size isn't much that they can work with but it's still small enough that you could use it when out, just wouldn't want to drop it ;)

So with the free games, that is through SDLauncher right? Doesn't that require disc swapping to get a burnt disc to run, or is it running images/roms?

ncube-portable-gamecube.jpg

Edit: That was the portable Gamecube that I saw originally. That is certainly not worth the price and it looks really uncomfortable to use.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I agree, the size isn't much that they can work with but it's still small enough that you could use it when out, just wouldn't want to drop it ;)

So with the free games, that is through SDLauncher right? Doesn't that require disc swapping to get a burnt disc to run, or is it running images/roms?
I'm pretty sure it's running images/roms. It has perfect gamecube compatibility, but SD load has compatibility problems, to my understanding. The videos detail it pretty well, if you haven't watched them yet.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm pretty sure it's running images/roms. It has perfect gamecube compatibility, but SD load has compatibility problems, to my understanding. The videos detail it pretty well, if you haven't watched them yet.

Yeah I am loading them now. I had originally typed up that due to my internet being slow it takes 20 minutes or so to load up a long video but I must have deleted that >.>;;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs