GCN Gamecube... PAL games on NTSC system.

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Ok, first off i have a NTSC Gamecube with a bunch of PAL games, obviously i can't play them on it, since they are of different regions. I can choose many ways:
1) Buy an Action Replay/Freeloader to make my Gamecube regionfree, so i'll be able to play anything on it.
2) Modchip, but expensive.
3) Bios replacement?*

*This is for what i really need help, i heard of something called GcoS, but i don't know anything about GCmodding.
Aaaand bios replacement would be my best case, just because it would make my NTSC console a (un)real "PAL" console.

Case 1:
use of an actionreplay/freeloader, this would let me play my PAL games, but not on the original language (in my case Italian)

with a bios replacement this would not be a problem anymore. Can you help me with this? Thank you so much.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, first off i have a NTSC Gamecube with a bunch of PAL games, obviously i can't play them on it, since they are of different regions. I can choose many ways:
1) Buy an Action Replay/Freeloader to make my Gamecube regionfree, so i'll be able to play anything on it.
2) Modchip, but expensive.
3) Bios replacement?*

*This is for what i really need help, i heard of something called GcoS, but i don't know anything about GCmodding.
Aaaand bios replacement would be my best case, just because it would make my NTSC console a (un)real "PAL" console.

Case 1:
use of an actionreplay/freeloader, this would let me play my PAL games, but not on the original language (in my case Italian)

with a bios replacement this would not be a problem anymore. Can you help me with this? Thank you so much.

I recommend the freeloader, it the least complicated way :)

Reactions: Phantom64

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm... The best case would be a total bios replacement, so i'll be able to play in Italian my games, even if my console is NTSC... But any tip is appreciated
If your games are ntsc, they may notsupport italian, changing your system won't help it. the game you buy must have multi language support for that language as a option.

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Nope. My games are PAL, and italian language is obv- in it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the problem is... even with a freeloader, my PAL game won't run the italian language cause of the BIOS, but it will perfectly run in english... which is not an issue, but i prefer to play it in Italian

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. My games are PAL, and italian language is obv- in it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the problem is... even with a freeloader, my PAL game won't run the italian language cause of the BIOS, but it will perfectly run in english... which is not an issue, but i prefer to play it in Italian
Have you run pal games with freeloader yet?

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
You're supposed to use homebrew. Action Replay codes can do this, but they'd have to be specifically written for each game.

Note the NTSC Gamecube doesn't support PAL color encoding. 50hz mode will display black and white over composite or s-video.
Forcing 60hz fixes this, or use the component cable.

Action Replay, Freeloader, or modchips don't have their own options to override the language. (thus the actual reason Japanese games have compatibility issues outside Japan: they're being run under the wrong language). Although some modchips offer internal memory or an SD slot to store homebrew.

Swapping the bios is impractical. It requires a donor PAL console to retrieve the bios from, and considerable soldering/desoldering ability.

Last edited by Lumstar,
Reactions: Phantom64

Phantom64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
You're supposed to use homebrew. Action Replay codes can do this, but they'd have to be specifically written for each game.

Note the NTSC Gamecube doesn't support PAL color encoding. 50hz mode will display black and white over composite or s-video.
Forcing 60hz fixes this, or use the component cable.

Action Replay, Freeloader, or modchips don't have their own options to override the language. (thus the actual reason Japanese games have compatibility issues outside Japan: they're being run under the wrong language). Although some modchips offer internal memory or an SD slot to store homebrew.

Swapping the bios is impractical. It requires a donor PAL console to retrieve the bios from, and considerable soldering/desoldering ability.
Thank you for the answer, really helped. :D

Uhm... could i just find a PAL bios online, no?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all