GameCube Memory and Backups

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NovaSS, Mar 23, 2009.

Mar 23, 2009

GameCube Memory and Backups by NovaSS at 4:42 AM (717 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    I was thrilled to get a GC backup to load. Thanks wiigator!

On the flipside, I can't seem to get my cheap memory card to work with it. The wii had recognized that it needed to be formatted, which I did. Then the first time I tried to use it with a GC (backup) game, it said it was corrupted and needed to be reformatted. I figured whatever, there's no data saved on it. I was playing Zelda: Wind Waker, just for reference. It seemed to create the file without a problem (no error reported) but then when I went to save it said it needed to be formatted. Bottom line, it seems to refuse to accept this memory card.

It's a cheap one from ebay. One of those 128mb made in china that shop from hong kong for under $10 total. Is that my problem? I really don't mind buying a different card IF that is going to solve the problem, but I don't want to keep throwing money at it hoping it will go away without knowing a definitive solution.

Has anyone else seen this problem before? And what kinds of memory cards HAVE successfully been used, particularly with backups. I'm not sure if the backup loader could be part of the problem here (I assume the card isn't just plain defective, though I guess it could be). I do recall seeing a discussion once that touched on nintendo vs 3rd party memory cards, but if I recall, the 3rd party cards usually met more success, not less. I don't have an original (working) GC disc handy to test with the card either, unfortunately.

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    did you you try the latest version 0.2

3. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    I am using the latest, released yesterday. Yes, 0.2. In case it makes a difference, I'm using patched MIOS v8 and have menu 3.2U.

4. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i haven't found my gamecube memory card yet so i can't test it but try using waninkoko's mios from his website at wii.waninkoko.info that would be rev 3 and if that doesn't work it has to be because you have a third party memory card because i know for sure that there were issues with saving a pal game and then trying to save a ntsc game or vice-versa after you try that try to search the original gamecube threads to see for sure if i'm right or wait for wiigator to speak on this subject

5. NovaSS
    OP

Newcomer NovaSS Newbie

United States
    Yeah I'll give Waninkoko's MIOS a shot later this week when I get a chance. I was originally trying to use his, but then I couldn't get it to boot my game at all (DVD read error). I found a step-by-step guide that used WiiGator's patch so I gave that a go and it was just the first time I got it running. I've got a few more things to try that don't cost anything I guess. I just wanted to see if anyone else had already solved this before I invested a ton of time. A quick search didn't turn up anything specific, but some people don't bother sharing their success (guess they're too busy playing) so I figured I'd ask.

I'll definitely give Waninkoko's MIOS a shot, along with the other versions from WiiGator if necessary. And once I have it working I'll probably post somewhere exactly what I'm using to save the next guy the trouble.

On another note, I have successfully burned the game on both DVD-R and DVD+R. When the +R didn't work I burned it on a -R but once I got the loader to work it was able to load either disc. At least something went well so far. [​IMG]