Newerabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys,

I'm not sure if this was posted somewhere else, and if it was just point me in the right direction!

I bought a Wii a couple years ago. It's the black one that doesn't have the Gamecube controller support. I'm assuming it's not backwards compatible with GC games as well.

But I know that there is a way you can play GC games on a modded Wii. But because this Wii doesn't support GC controllers am I out of luck? I have a Wii Classic Pro Controller could I use that to play GC games on my modded Wii?

Any help is, of course, greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

you can use Devolution : http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

From Devolution readme :
Devolution currently offers the following enhancements to the regular "Gamecube on Wii"
experience:
- Alternative mediums for loading games (SD and USB)
- Alternative controllers (Wiimote with classic controller, WiiU Pro Controller, PS3
controller)
- Alternative mediums as memory cards (SD and USB)
- Emulation of the Gamecube modem hardware using the Wii's networking hardware (wifi or
wired)
- Wii Family Edition and WiiU support

:gba:

BTW you will have to check (one time) all your original GC games on a GC compatible wii, with one of your wiimote connected to it...Devolution will not run any game without that wiimote (it stores its "DRM" in it and checks it every time you want to launch a GC game).

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The Wii without GC (called Wii Lu64) can be Gamecube playable, that is if you're willing to solder the Gamecube ports, there are Youtube videos on how to do it and if you can't do it, there's a few users around here who can do it for you.

Newerabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

you can use Devolution : http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-public-release.330554/

From Devolution readme :

:gba:

BTW you will have to check (one time) all your original GC games on a GC compatible wii, with one of your wiimote connected to it...Devolution will not run any game without that wiimote (it stores its "DRM" in it and checks it every time you want to launch a GC game).

So when you say I have to check all original GC game on a GC compatible Wii, how exactly does that work? For example I have an iso of Wind Waker on my PC that I can load onto a USB drive.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to have a copy of the original disc, and a modded Wii that is capable of playing gamecube games. You first use CleanRip to rip a iso of the game to your USB hard drive, then use Devolution to load the game. Devolution will not load the game if it doesn't have the original disc (can't use a burned copy unless your wii is chipped). Devolution will pair that ISO with your wiimote. Then you can use Devolution on your other wii and as long as that wiimote is synced with it the game should work.

Newerabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to have a copy of the original disc, and a modded Wii that is capable of playing gamecube games. You first use CleanRip to rip a iso of the game to your USB hard drive, then use Devolution to load the game. Devolution will not load the game if it doesn't have the original disc (can't use a burned copy unless your wii is chipped). Devolution will pair that ISO with your wiimote. Then you can use Devolution on your other wii and as long as that wiimote is synced with it the game should work.

Thanks for the reply.

This is starting to sound like more work then it's worth lol.

I think I'll just download Dolphin for my PC if I want to get my Gamecube fix!

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's a lot of work and a lot of Tempers are complaining about it. It's complicated but only because of AP protection that tuidj put in. Unfortunately that's what you're stuck with, unless you use Nintendont.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys,

I'm not sure if this was posted somewhere else, and if it was just point me in the right direction!

I bought a Wii a couple years ago. It's the black one that doesn't have the Gamecube controller support. I'm assuming it's not backwards compatible with GC games as well.

But I know that there is a way you can play GC games on a modded Wii. But because this Wii doesn't support GC controllers am I out of luck? I have a Wii Classic Pro Controller could I use that to play GC games on my modded Wii?

Any help is, of course, greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You can buy an older Wii at Pawn stores that can played backup GC games disc if you rather that. My bestfriend and I are roommate for 18 years.. Yes, 18 years and we bought it when the Wii was first released. I rather older version unless you dont mind to use Hard Drive for Game Cube isos instead. :)

Newerabs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's a lot of work and a lot of Tempers are complaining about it. It's complicated but only because of AP protection that tuidj put in. Unfortunately that's what you're stuck with, unless you use Nintendont.

What exactly is Nintendont?

I've read about it but I'm not sure it would work on my newer Wii?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendont is an app coded by Crediar to accomplish basically the same thing Devolution does. There are three major differences:
1) No Anti-Piracy mechanism. This saves you from the time and headache of verifying your GameCube discs with Devolution, and removes the need for a GameCube-compatible Wii.
2) No Wireless controllers. Kind of a bummer, you must use a wired controller plugged in via USB. And not all controllers work. Lots of success has been reported using PS3 controllers plugged in to the Wii.
3) Less Compatibility. Nintendont's compatibility is hit-or-miss at best, where Devolution at least in my experience has played practically every game I throw at it.

Unfortunately Crediar has reportedly stopped working on Nintendont, but he released the source code and several other people have been working on it: https://code.google.com/p/nintendont/

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will never understand the point of the AP in Devolution. You can't buy brand new official GameCube games at walmart or best buy. 99% of these games are going to come from used retailer or from someone online. Point is, if you need to get a specific game for the gamecube in this day and age, Nintendo isn't going to see any of that money, in fact its only encouraging the awful machines that are stores like GameStop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Shouldn't preservation be legal tho?
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.
    +1
    Preservation yeah it absolutely should be legal
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Believe Japan was going to make it legal at some point, according to a Kotaku story.
    +1
    I swear like 99% of arcade games wouldn't even exist these days outside of MAME the arcade machines are old and busted very few ever saw any sort of home conversion
    We get 37 versions of Super Mario Bros but 0 of Beast Busters
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, There's a lot of obscure Japanese arcade titles that are either lost to time or dumped.
    +1
    It's so unfair, maybe AI can save us lol
    I mean if a company could use AI to do the work of a home conversion for essentially free why not? The rights for some games are completely lost though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, AI is taking our jobs!
    +1
    Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just tried the Master System version.... Ugghh