gamecube functionality dead

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The Rube, May 23, 2010.

May 23, 2010

gamecube functionality dead by The Rube at 5:00 PM (1,256 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. The Rube
    OP

Newcomer The Rube Member

United States
    I'm thinking I've got a defective drive, but I'm hoping against hope that there's some fix out there---

I've got a hard-modded wii (Wiikey 2) that was additionally softmodded; running a modified system 4.2

everything was running swimmingly until I put in a gamcube disc and got a "this disc cannot be read" error. this happens with all original copies and the one backup I made of a game that was otherwise too scratched to be used.

wii games, both originals and backups remain wholly unaffected.

I suspected I'd somehow mussed the MIOS/BC up accidentally and reinstalled the latest versions w/ DOP-Mii to no effect. I took the drastic step of reformatting my wii and re-installing an unmodified 4.2, also to no effect.

so I'm all softmodded up again, and the GC in my Wii remains dead.

anyone have any ideas? I expect to hear that my drive needs replacing, and unless someone has a save, that's what I'll be doing.

thanks much-

-a.

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Do Wii games still run?

3. Delta517

Member Delta517 Its okay...Im a ninja ;)

Norway
    There

4. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Then there's nothing wrong with your drive. In that case, I have no more ideas.

5. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Reinstall MIOS and BC using WADS. Get them from NUSD.

6. Everlasting Nigh

Newcomer Everlasting Nigh Advanced Member

United States
    That happened to me too. I reinstalled Waninoko's 4.2 update firmware and that got it to run again.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my Wii is softmodded, so I don't really know if that might help.

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Some Priiloader/StartPatch hacks tend to mess up GCN launching. Try uninstalling anything related to region free disc channel and the like.

8. The Rube
    OP

Newcomer The Rube Member

United States
    thanks for the help guys--

here's what I've tried: I reinstalled 4.2 with the safe updater;

I removed all startpatch hacks;

and I tried downloading and installing all available versions of BC and MIOS via Dop-Mii---

all to no effect.

My wii isn't that heavily modded- after removing the StartPatch hacks and uninstalling/reinstalling my CIOSes there's really nothing else to try on the software side (I think)

I'm left to think that maybe my WiiKey 2 has gone haywire.... perhaps Ill remove it and see if that helps....

thanks again for your input- I feel more like I've done what I can now.

-a.

9. The Rube
    OP

Newcomer The Rube Member

United States
    as a courtesy for those what offered some advice- the resolution.

I had a back-up nand from when I had just started softmodding (before any major modifications were made) and I copied it to the wii- like an instant time machine it was... but GC was still no-go. That pretty definitively eliminated the possibility that it was a software issue.

So I opened the Wii up, and with the help of a friend we determined that the disc drive was breaking, though not entirely broken. I was in error when I said Wii games were "wholly unaffected", really in retrospect, I should have said "mostly unaffected", but the few times they didn't work, I attributed it to being b/c they were backups... in reality sometimes discs just weren't catching correctly, and GC discs were never spinning properly at all.

the solution- bye bye $50, hello new drive.

thanks again guys-

-a.