Hardware GameCube backups on D2Ckey compatability problems

• Thread starter TroyBagnell
  • Start date
  • Views 2,987
  • Replies 10
T

TroyBagnell

OP
I'm having problems getting GC games to run properly on my system. It's brand new NTSC-U with a D2Ckey installed (Wii backups have no problems)

So far I've tried Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (both seem to work perfect), Resident Evil (freezes when playing any FMV but plays if you skip them), Resident Evil Zero (doesn't boot), Rogue Squadron II and III (neither boots), and Super Smash Bros. Melee (doesn't boot).

I burned all the games that didn't work multiple times at different speeds (2x - 6x) on different burners with top quality media and I'm left wondering if maybe there's a special way of burning GC games. Seeing as how D2Ckey claims to have perfect GC compatability and also I can't seem to find anyone else with similar problems.

piepants

Trophies
Website
itspudding.com
XP
Country
There's something definitely wrong there. I've got a D2CKey, and every GameCube backup I've thrown at it has at least worked.

So far I've tried:

Super Smash Bros Melee (works fine, with occasional sound glitches)
Tales of Symphonia (works fine)
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (intro goes out of sync, otherwise works fine)
Metroid Prime 1 & 2 (both work fine)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (works fine)
Zelda: Wind Waker (works fine)

All burned at 16x on Verbatim media.

T

TroyBagnell

OP
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I thought it might be a region problem too, but they're all NTSC-U so that's not it. I'll try burning them as GCOS although I'm not too familiar with that. I thought that was more for the WiiKey. Don't know how I got that impression lol

Also, Metroid Prime 2 is crashing at the opening movie. The only way I could get it to work was to take out the GC memory card. I checked it 6 times. Crashed 3 times out of those when the card was inserted. I don't know why that would cause it to freeze... might have just been a fluke.

Lastly... are the games suppose to have sound glitches here and there? A few of the games that work that I've tested have really annoying sound glitches in the music every so often.

Tweaked

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I too, have been having some problems, but i chalked them up to incompatability, but i see you have wind waker working, could anyone shine some light on this GCOS, im new to this concept

piepants

Trophies
Website
itspudding.com
XP
Country
Lastly... are the games suppose to have sound glitches here and there? A few of the games that work that I've tested have really annoying sound glitches in the music every so often.

Yep, I get occasional sound glitches in Smash Bros Melee. Annoying, but not a huge deal for me.

T

TroyBagnell

OP
So yeah, I tried GCOS and I get the exact same problems.

A lot of the games just shut down the Wii without warning... this is really pissing me off. I think at this point I've tried every option. Time to look into getting a GameCube lol

Tweaked

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, the only variable we havent examined is it the game in question? or is it that dump... Try to download multiple if you care enough to do so.

I got windwaker to work by downloading another region (Pal version did not work, usa did. I have a usa d2ckey wii)

Unless i just have bad luck with gamecube games and not wii games, and unless my burn which has otherwise done flawless wii burns and is just coincidently fucking up on random, id say theres an issue with the d2ckey and certain dumping methods.

but hey im baked so its all good :]

jpeyster58

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a d2ckey and I'm having the same problem. I've tried burning the iso by themselves, and using the GCOS multi boot. Almost every game freezes. I have only came across 1 that works all the time. I've only had sony dvd-r's so far but I'm going to buy some verbatims soon. What kind of media works best in the wii playing gamecube games?

Troy, did you ever find a solution?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Jeff

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction