Gamecube Back Ups

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by StraTTtheRipper, Apr 24, 2013.

Apr 24, 2013

Gamecube Back Ups by StraTTtheRipper at 1:37 AM (966 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. StraTTtheRipper
    OP

Newcomer StraTTtheRipper Newbie

United States
    I used to play my Gamecube back ups (from discs) using the gamecube back up loader channel, but they aren't working anymore. It tries to load the game, but then just powers my Wii system off...any ideas? What happened? Any help would be appreciated!

2. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Did you install DIOS MIOS (Lite) or QuadForce or do a system update or something? Those would overwrite your cMIOS and it wouldn't work anymore. You could also try installing a cMIOS that has the backup loader included. That way you could run both retail AND backup games from the disk channel. You can get the WAD to install such a cMIOS from ModMii on download page 4 in the middle of the right column. I know the Waninkoko one works that way and one of the two available WiiGator ones. Just not sure which one.

3. StraTTtheRipper
    OP

Newcomer StraTTtheRipper Newbie

United States
    Actually I did install Quadforce, which was rather useless anyway because I can't get the mario kart gp games to work. So I tried to play a Game cube game, and they aren't working, so i figure that's why the mario kart GP games aren't working either? Anyway, I just want to fix my gamecube games. Could you point me in the right direction? I tried re installing the MIOs but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Edit: Alright, I got them working again. I just used cMIOS Installer to install the cMIOS and it seems to be working again. I haven't really checked around gbatemp, but is there a guide on here for Mario Kart Arcade GP?

4. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    Okay, there are several things that can ALL go into the MIOS slot on the Wii but only ONE of them can be there at a time:
    1- a normal MIOS for just playing retail games off the disk channel
    2- a WiiPower cMIOS for playing DVD-R backups from the backup launcher channel.
    3- a WiiPower cMIOS with the backup launcher build in for DVD-R backups from the disk channel.
    4- a Waninkoko cMIOS for playing DVD-R backups from the disk channel.
    5- Dios Mios (DM) for playing backups off of USB
    6- Dios Mios Lite (DML) for playing backups off of SD
    7- QuadForce for playing Mario Kart GP games off of SD
    8 (edit) - there's actually another one that I just remembered. There's a mod of the WiiPower cMIOS that can just do GameCube homebrew but can't actually do DVD-R backups.

Choose the one you want and install it over the top of what you currently have, replacing it.
    You probably want one of the ones I put in bold. I think you might have just installed a clean MIOS and not a cMIOS which would fix RETAIL games and NOT backups.

other important points :
    - (It's recommended to have your BC clean and at v6 which is the latest because the BC is also involved in GC loading)
    - (almost everything except QuadForce can also play retail games)
    - (WiiPower cMIOS with NO backup launcher built in (#2) I think even needs to be run from the separate backup launcher for retail games. Everything else runds )
    - (WiiPower cMIOS's can run GameCube homebrew but sometimes freeze up on start which the Waninkoko one doesn't)
    - (Dios Mios (USB) will need a USB drive connected EVEN if it's just running a retail game from the disk channel.)
    - (There also exists something called cBC-NMM which is to play retail games but save to the SD card instead of a memory card but this replaces your BC and not your MIOS so if you install it, it won't matter what MIOS you install. It will bypass the MIOS completely until you install a clean BC back over the top of it.).

5. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Interesting info there, maxternal.

However, by what do you mean having a "Clean BC" ? I'm not sure what this BC is... never had to worry about it before. How can I tell if the WiiPower cMIOS I have includes said backup launcher built in?

6. Maxternal

Costa Rica
    Well, the BC is usually clean (being an original, unaltered version from Nintendo). There aren't many modded versions you can install. Usually the only important point is that it be the latest version (v6). If you have 4.3 installed that shouldn't be a problem because v6 comes with that update. ModMii also installs it IIRC but otherwise you just have to get the WAD and install it. I think it actually only matters with DM(L). The other modded MIOS's don't seem to care about the BC version.

WHAT the BC is:
    when something wants to run a GC game
    1st, it calls the BC which is what actually puts everything into GameCube mode, changing some memory addresses and slowing the processor and GPU down to GameCube speeds.
    2nd, the BC runs Boot2
    3rd, Boot2 notices that everything is slowed down in GameCube mode and runs the MIOS instead of the System Menu like it normally would.

so it doesn't actually load the MIOS directly. BC is the starting point for the process.