Game Boy Player/GC Hardware Query

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Bart Lemming, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Bart Lemming
    OP

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    I only ever use my GC to play Game Boy games on the telly as I use my Wii for any GC game-play and I can just leave my GBP boot disc in the 'Cube permanently without faffing around.

The only problem is the 'Cube is fairly noisy. I know it's not XBox 360 noisy but certainly noisy enough to irritate my partner when she's trying to get to sleep!

Do you guys think it would be really bad to disconnect the fans of the Gamecube so that it would be silent? My gut tells me that it would probably be okay as the CPU, GPU and RAM aren't doing anything so therefore not generating heat. Am I right in thinking that while using the GBP the 'Cube is essentially just a pass through device for powering the GBP and outputting it's video signal?

2. sanoblue

sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

Aug 4, 2007
    United States
    North Carolina
    bad idea.. even thou they arnt working hard... as they will be working... it still gens heat... i would suggest no.

3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Working hard or hardly working, they're not going to be completely off, and while I don't know about GC, I know some CPU's can fry just from being turned on without cooling, just don't risk it (unless you have a spare GC or want to buy a new one).

4. NickRay

NickRay Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2013
    United States
    I'd suggest just taking it apart and modding a better, more quiet fan to it. May not be pretty but it'll still work.

5. Bart Lemming
    OP

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    Thanks for the replies. Oh well, not what I was hoping to hear. :(

I think I'll look into quieter fans though. That might be something to do. I mean, my 'Cube is from the midnight launch so the fans are bound to be a little worn and dirty by now!