Gaikai Teases Killzone, Mass Effect, and much, much more

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of news regarding cloud gaming has been focused on the financial meltdown of OnLive (which recently sold for less than $5 million dollars). However, for gamers with their heads in the clouds, there is a silver lining in the form of Gaikai.

If you don't remember, Gaikai was another cloud gaming service that Sony bought out some time ago. They've been pretty mum about what exactly they would be offering, though - some rumors a while back even claimed that it would only offer games from the PS2 era.

Well, if a bunch of newly released images are to be believed, that is definitely not the case.

While Sony’s acquisition of Gaikai was a huge move in the games industry, no one knew just how much support the cloud gaming platform would get from their new parent company, and when. Now, we’ve spotted a bunch of teases by the company at the level of games they’ll be streaming – and some pretty big names are included.

While earlier rumors by some sites claimed that only PS2 games would initially be streamed, or only PC-compatible games, the following images (taken from Gaikai’s redesigned site) show otherwise. In the pictures below, we can see Mass Effect 3, Killzone 2/3, Metal Gear Rising, Modern Warfare, Uncharted 2, inFamous 2 and LittleBigPlanet, as well as the PS2 games God of War 2 and Killzone 1 (both of which are also on PS3).

Interestingly, the third image has a blurred out panel next to Sackboy, hinting at as-yet unannounced games for the cloud service.
icon11.gif
Playstation Lifestyle

Here are some of those images if you're interested.

It appears that Sony and Gaikai are not offering any comments, but we should be hearing more specifics on the matter "soon" enough. Their may be a connection between this and the revamping of the PSN Store, but we can only speculate for now.

So, what do you think? Will gamers be on cloud nine with this wide selection of games, or is it just a storm on the horizon?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh Gahars... Your puns made me think this was something else by the title.
"A new move into Uncharted territory"
I thought there was going to be an Uncharted based Move game :P

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

...This isn't a teaser of any sort. These are generic Sony brand imagery that is plastered onto all of their sites.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Soulx, it seems to be somewhat of a teaser, if they use an image that they have to blur out... why not use another game picture there if it's just generic brand imagery? I think they are related to the gaikai thing atleast, and that it's a secret to everybody right now.. (that one blurred image)

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
So you can play ps2 and ps3 on the cloud? Lovely but still difficult to implement in the long term. I just can't see them cutting the costs that much.
Even after 40000 likes, onlive had major issue unless the problem was not due to the service itself but some other business problem.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you can play ps2 and ps3 on the cloud? Lovely but still difficult to implement in the long term. I just can't see them cutting the costs that much.
Even after 40000 likes, onlive had major issue unless the problem was not due to the service itself but some other business problem.

Likes don't necessarily translate to sales, though. They might be hoping that with a more robust library of games, people will be more likely to buy into the service.

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me advertising it might help a lot but with how the are advertising the Vita it might not happen. Onlive just didn't seem to attract enough gamers and some people were just downloading demos on the service which pretty much cost Onlive money.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still sticking with OnLive. They have done well by me and with their 12 month plan revealed, I think we're on our way to a nice recovery. Back to Gaikai, I really do hope that they start offering cloud PlayStation (1, 2 and 3) games for PS+ users. I might not be a Sony fan but I always thought that Sony Customers deserved to have those options.

D

Deleted_171835

Soulx, it seems to be somewhat of a teaser, if they use an image that they have to blur out... why not use another game picture there if it's just generic brand imagery? I think they are related to the gaikai thing atleast, and that it's a secret to everybody right now.. (that one blurred image)
Stylistic choice (didn't fit with rest of the page?), I suppose. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't get your hopes up. ;)

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The thing with cloud gaming is the kind of bandwidth minimum it requires. I expect it to be something like streaming HD videos. Woe unto you if it lags or buffers. Plus your ISP will have a field day with you and either throttle you or charge you extravagant amounts of money.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing with cloud gaming is the kind of bandwidth minimum it requires. I expect it to be something like streaming HD videos. Woe unto you if it lags or buffers. Plus your ISP will have a field day with you and either throttle you or charge you extravagant amounts of money.

For most US ISP it's not really an issue. I used OnLive for quite a while and never had an issue.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1