1. CORE

OP CORE 3:16

United Kingdom
    As Title says I have an odd issue with Linux on my GA990FX Motherboard "Failed to Activate Network" I therefore have no Network on my Linux OS.

I have tryed Ubuntu/POP and Fedora same result and to make things even more odd I bought a seperate PCIE Network Card and I get the same Error.

Any help would be appreciated I understand the OnBoard NIC not working but what gives with the Expansion NIC.

Here is my Specs.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-990FX-Gaming-rev-10#ov

Killer E2200 Network OnBoard Linux Identifies as Atheros.

The Expansion NIC appears to be Realtek Identified via Linux.

FX 9590 - 16GB DDR3 - RX590 8GB.

So either Linux is a no go on this MotherBoard or is there a specific setting that can mess with this via BIOS/UEFI.

Last edited by CORE, Aug 3, 2020
  2. CORE

United Kingdom
    *UPDATE*

Found out that my MotherBoard USB3.0 Controller Enabled Breaks my Ethernet even on a seperate PCIE Network Card.
    Disable it and you get Ethernet but loose USB3.0.

Solution is to apparently have XCHI Enabled, IOMMU Enabled, Legacy Boot Enabled. So Far my Problem still persists unless I disable USB3.0 Controller.

# For AMD CPUs
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="amd_iommu=on iommu=pt amd_iommu=fullflush"

I am yet to do this edit via Grub although I am trying to get POPOS! to use this so systemd is what I need to add the above Commands into.

Just putting this here incase someone else has problems and hopefully anyone has other Solutions.

Youtubuntu likes this.
  3. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Why would you add this to systemd and not GRUB's configuration? I would think you would add it to GRUB's skeleton config (you're not supposed to directly edit its configuration file), and then run grub-mkconfig. This said, it's been quite a few years since I've tinkered with Linux, so things might be vastly different now.

CORE likes this.
  4. CORE

United Kingdom
    Apparently Pop OS does not use Grub anymore and just Systemd which also makes things even more difficult for me because I dont know where to look Grub directory exists but no Grub.

5. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Well, GRUB, or any bootloader for that matter, usually resides in /boot. However, systemd now being a bootloader is new to me, and also concerning. I never liked systemd, and its standardization is one of the reasons why I left Linux. Anyway, I recommend checking the Arch Wiki. It's like a community driven Linux bible, and its guides are usually applicable to any distribution. I hope this page is relevant, but if not, you may have to look around a little more.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd-boot

CORE likes this.
  6. Youtubuntu

Youtubuntu Newbie
    Newcomer

Estonia
    For grub-related tasks I recommend using GUI-based grub-customizer unless you're already an advanced user. It handles some stuff for you and I feel makes grub-related tasks safer.

But it is useless in case of systemd-boot.

CORE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - GA990FX, Network, Linux