Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is written for the linux noob, as im sure most moderately experienced linux users are capable of installing and using wine

A small guide to running the G6 UDisk manager on a unix system for those of you who refuse to run windows at all
tongue.gif
. I tested this on Arch Linux and Ubuntu, should work fine on any Unix system(Mac OSX, FreeBSD.....).

I run Linux full time, no dual boot or any other option for me, so when i got my G6 UDisk manager i was pretty pissed it didn't work with Wine. So i tinkered with it for a while and got it working.

Don't use the wine available in repositories such as aptitude or yum, they are extremely out dated and buggy.

1. For debian systems:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add - (to add repository key to your trusted keys)

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

then add this repository: deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt edgy main (an easier way is to add it through aptitude)

then run: sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine

Overview:

screenshot1zc4.png

a more detailed way of doing it is available Here, this version i explained is a little dumbed down

Note: these versions although newer than the debian repos might still lag behind current versions, i recommend building from source.

2. Other distros, your own your own here, check out the download page they got a bunch of binary formats for different platforms and distros.

3. Building from source (Recommended):

Grab the fresh tarballs from here

Untar the tarball: tar xvjf ~/wine-0.x.xx.tar.bz2
cd to the folder: cd ~/wine-0..xx.tar.bz2
run the wine installer: ./tools/wineinstall
Done!

Requirements for build:

Linux version 2.0.36 or above On x86 Systems gcc >= 2.7.2 is required.
FreeBSD 5.3 or later
Solaris x86 2.5 or later
NetBSD-current
Mac OS X 10.4 or later

4. G6 UDisk Manager:

Ok this is the easy part
Grab the Manager from handheldsources
extract the rar: unrar ~/g6.rar
then open the installer with wine: wine ~/g6installer.exe
install as usual and remember to create desktop icons(important for later)

screenshotkl3.png

After its done you should get 2 files on your desktop

screenshot2dg4.png

delete the .lnk file and then run the manager from the other desktop shortcut, the final result:

screenshot5cr0.png

screenshot6hj1.png

A successfully completed write:

screenshot2aj1.png

5. Known issues and tips:

-Never run the manager from anywhere except the desktop shortcut, for some reason it gives diskfull errors when run from anywhere else
-When the final selection to write a rom comes up hit enter instead of clicking OK
-Always eject the G6 after done writing, since this is when the actual data is transfered to the flashcart.
-There will be a small blank space on top of each window running the manager(as seen on the pics above); can be removed by using Resource Hacker
-G6 manager doesnt display remaining space, just look at it in the usb's properties;
-For some reason write time is faster than in windows, so dont panic when it writes a 512Mb game in 5secs
-Since the G6 flashcart is in FAT fileformat, anything manually deleted from it is sent into a hidden folder on the flashcart, to actually clear space one must delete the required item then press Ctrl+H to show hidden folders and delete the .trash folder

I know it looks complex and long winded but its worth it in the end. There are no issues with the games themselves everything plays and saves as it should

since wine is installed, put it to some use, check out some common windows apps that run under wine - Compatability List

Any comments or suggestions are welcome
yaynds.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick notes:

I always wondered why I'd get disk full errors. It made me use VMware so I don't dual boot.

The blank space can be removed if you use a windows app called resource hacker and strip out the skin.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
will add that to the tips section, running it on vmware is such a pain i tried that too in the beginning. thanks

Edit: gonna add a screen shot of an example write OK

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up