Hacking G6 Real or R4?

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
I went for the G6 Real simply because it's better. Built-in memory, great quality, great support, great product.
happy.gif

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 all the way. I haven't seen how much the G6 goes for but microsd memory just keeps lowering in price. DS-X hasn't matched the prices of memory. Doubt G6 will. As for SCDS? hAHHAA. I needed a laugh
smile.gif
. CycloDS might be a better choice since it has SDHC support (4GB+ card support) but it's still to early to see how well the support will be.

tanky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
haha, well now im even more confused about which to buy!
tongue.gif

although it does look as if the R4 is ahead by votes. Iv heard alot about the Cyclo recently, but have also heard that they are pretty flimsy and badly made and can malfunction...?

tbh, all i use it for is roms, i dont care about homebrew or onboard/expandable memory, or even how fancy the front-end is. As long as it has best rom compatibility and fastest/best support im happy!
smile.gif

by the sounds of it the R4 still fits this criteria the best right?

sorry to be a n00b, but what is SDHC? and why it better than what the other cards have?

and one last question...iv heard talk of 'chinese' R4's...are there regional versions of hardware? if so, does it make a difference which i get?

theADDict

Trophies
XP
Country
I sell the R4, M3 simply and G6 DS Real, so am going to give you the 100% honest opinion...unbiased.

Stop thinkin and just buy any of them. They are all excellent ;-)
Time is wasting.......you could be playing now !!!
These babies sell around the same price as 1 full retail game......so whats the big deal...... DO IT !!

p.s. I use an R4.
lol

theADDict

Trophies
XP
Country
and yeh, make sure you get an English language cart.
That is unless you can read chinese.
All english R4's now come in grey shells.

I have some spare white shells for those who need ultimate colour matching with a white DS lite.
yaynds.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
haha, well now im even more confused about which to buy!
tongue.gif

although it does look as if the R4 is ahead by votes. Iv heard alot about the Cyclo recently, but have also heard that they are pretty flimsy and badly made and can malfunction...?

tbh, all i use it for is roms, i dont care about homebrew or onboard/expandable memory, or even how fancy the front-end is. As long as it has best rom compatibility and fastest/best support im happy!
smile.gif

by the sounds of it the R4 still fits this criteria the best right?

sorry to be a n00b, but what is SDHC? and why it better than what the other cards have?

and one last question...iv heard talk of 'chinese' R4's...are there regional versions of hardware? if so, does it make a difference which i get?
Most CycloWiz are just fine, but there are some which don't get detected well yeah. You can get them replaced, but I think you need to pay extra shipping fee's then again... I don't think it happens that frequently though, the springloader from the R4 breaking happens more frequently, but that gives less problems with the useability of course.

Advantages for roms in CycloWiz is that it has perfect download play support, so if you have friends who own a DS and want to multiplay a game which he doesn't have ut supports download play, CycloWiz is better in that. Also I believe it loads Roms somewhat faster.
For normal ROM compatibility R4 is great though.

SDHC is a new kind of SD format, so you can have larger MicroSD's up to 32GB, whereas R4 is limited to normal MicroSD's that go up to 4GB (and the ones you can find up to 2GB). For only roms a normal MicroSD is fine though, cause you can always switch games when you've completed one. CycloWiz supports both though, so you can also just get the cheaper and smaller MicroSD's for that.

The Chinese R4's don't support the English firmware's. You can however open the thing up and solder a switchy thingy to turn it into an English one. Or I believe you can change the firmwares to support the other language nowadays too, because the encryption was cracked, but can't say that for sure.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You mean CycloDS
smile.gif

The Chinese R4's don't support the English firmware's. You can however open the thing up and solder a switchy thingy to turn it into an English one. Or I believe you can change the firmwares to support the other language nowadays too, because the encryption was cracked, but can't say that for sure.

Yea you can use a firmware switching patch which allows you to change between Japanese, Chinese, English, and R4 or M3S

Haruspex

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well G6DS Real has top notch game performance & compatibility. Period.

I finished castlevania portrait of ruin without hanging even once. Downhill jam also works flawlessy even when are 4 players on the screen at the same time.

Also about the price it's not that expensive, especially if you add to the R4 price a 1GB microsd card and a decent card reader because the one come with it, it simply sucks!

I'd say the disadvantages of G6DS Real are:

-No DLDI yet.

-Save system is like older M3/G6 products and requires a reboot to finish writing the save.

-The community it's not that big like the R4 one.

The internal memory is neutral. If you are fine with 1GB it's better than external, if you are not then the external is better.

Lastly, about the hardware glitches of G6DS Real. The thickness problem, missing connecting guides and the chip sticking out behind the sticker.

I'd say that almost all the flashcarts (slot-1 & slot-2) have hardware glitches. The spring loader for example in R4 might break in the future.

tanky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I sell the R4, M3 simply and G6 DS Real, so am going to give you the 100% honest opinion...unbiased.

Stop thinkin and just buy any of them. They are all excellent ;-)
Time is wasting.......you could be playing now !!!
These babies sell around the same price as 1 full retail game......so whats the big deal...... DO IT !!

p.s. I use an R4.
lol

lol fair enough!

well yea i think the r4 has pretty much won, but im gonna wait about a month to buy coz thats when im heading to hong kong and thailand so should be able to pick them up super cheap...might buy one of each if they are!
tongue.gif

but pls could someone still fill me in about what SDHC is? and why its better? and also if the R4 comes in different hardware versions depending on region (chinese etc) and what differences it makes.

also just found one more super-n00b question to ask...whats a 'trimmed' rom?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Too bad Hitler didn't make camps for immigrants oh wait
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Isn't the latest method for slim like self right?
    Like a 1 wire mod?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still two wire with resistor if you don't count the 7 wire pc probes cause hardware likes a good probing
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    2 wires left on motherboard, 7 temp soldered to a flasher, then removed after flashed
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Technically don't even have to remove it could just keep it on
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't really mess with hard mods due to neuro issues
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That you'll only see once +1