Hacking G6 Lite FAQ Thread

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
I'll admit this is to help myself out as much as it is anyone, but if it's kept up to date with relevant and informative information then it will hopefully benefit the hole community and also stop quite so many questions being asked :-) Apologies for any bits of info missing or left blank, I'm at work at the moment but will update it properly later.

Introduction
The G6 Lite is the latest product from G6 Flash team, unlike the original G6 it is not region free, and both a Chinese and an English version have been released. It has internal memory and comes with 4Gb memory card (512MB). It supports both DS and GBA games but also includes emulators for playing FC, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, PCE, SEGA-MS and GG. The unit has a built in media player for numerous codecs and formats, as well as various PDA functions.

Where can I download updates?
Before you start using your G6 Lite, it's recommended that you download the latest version of the firmware and disk management software to ensure the best possible compatability and functionality from your card.

I've heard many stories of the card getting corrupted, what's the deal?
It appears that this is mostly down to user error, and you can greatly minimise the chances of your G6 Lite getting corrupted by taking the following measures:
* Don't remove your G6 Lite from the burner whilst it's plugged into your USB port.
* Ensure that the burner is pushed firmly into the USB port.
* Most importantly; make use of the 'safely remove hardware' feature within Windows.

Are there any incompatible games?
There have been reports of Animal Crossing and Mario Kart not working, but it's recently been confirmed by an overwhelming majority that they work just fine. Ultimate Spiderman will run in safe mode only. Some GBA games have slightly flakey support, such as Mario Pinball and Summon Nights, both of which lack the ability to save.

How do I run roms, such as NES games?
There are four known ways:
1. PocketNES - A NES emulator specifically made for the DS. Works very well and is highly recommended.
2. nesDS - Works quite well, although it does not have a save function yet.
3. Directly dumping NES files to the card - Must have the EMU folder on the card. Access the game via MyCard mode in gba mode. I have no idea how to save in this mode, I assume you just need to create .0 files.
4. Patching the NES roms via the game manager. This is inefficient because it appens pocketNES to every game individually and you cannot distinguish games in the gba menu since they all have the PocketNES header.

How do I install and run homebrew applicatons?
-same as M3? if so, I'll just write that up here later-

How do I install and run ScummDS, and will speech versions work?
Following the instructions as per outphase's post will allow you to use Scumm DS on your G6 Lite. Unfortunately, any games above 32MB will not work, so this rules out a lot of the talkie versions of games, as well as others such as Fate Of Atlantis.

Once I've updated my G6 Lite, can I delete the loader files?
Yes you can, the files on the root of the drive are used to flash a hidden 16megabit of the G6 apparently, so once its flashed you can remove them from the root.

How can I soft reset NDS and GBA games? (more info)
NDS:
Press L+R+A+B+X
You have to patch the files with "sofware reset" function in u-disk manager for this feature

GBA:
Press L+R+A+B and pick Main Menu.
You have to patch the files with "RTS" function in u-disk manager for this feature

When you remove a game using the U-Disk manager, does it delete the saves too? more info)
Yes, but you can backup your saves, and transfer them back onto a later date to use the backed up saves.

What files can I delete without corrupting my G6 Lite? (more info)
You can delete everything, leaving your G6 completely empty and it will work perfectly fine.
Whenever you write a game over with the U-Disk, then it will create the GBA and NDS folder anyways.

I want to update my G6 Loader, but it only shows a '2' on the 'Yes' button of the updater?
Format your G6 Lite as FAT16 (in Windows it's simply called FAT)

I'm to lazy to manually backup my saves, can I automate it?
Use the "dipasgma" batch script, you can find it here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35767

General information/Any other queries?
Please be sure to read through this fantastic information thread by Qrayzie before asking here, thank you. Also a huge thanks to everyone who's contributed to this guide, in particular derderbste, who is an absolute legend, thanks!

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could maybe throw a blurb in there about how the original G6 Flash "Classic" was region-free, but that there are Chinese and English versions of the G6 Lite. Also might want to add something about how 4Gb is actually 512MB. You'd think that kind of shit would be common knowledge, but the number of friends I have that say "holy fuck that shit holds FOUR GIGS?!" after I tell them it's 4 gigabits is mind-boggling (these are computer science majors, for fuck's sake).

Getting a lot of information into this topic and turning into a sticky would be great.

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Many thanks mate, have updated the introduction
smile.gif

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
I could be wrong, but after reading that thread I can't see any huge problems, other than you can't save Mario Pinball or Mario 2 unless you patch them? ;o

midget35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The G6 loader should be patching them. That's the point of claiming a 100% compatability IMO.

Also- Summon Nights doesn't save correctly, according to one person because the EEPROM 124 isn't supported at all.

I disagree- it renders those games almost unplayable- certainly close to 'uncompleteable'.

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Does the real time save work?

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks please? Regarding ScummDS etc especially
smile.gif
Thanks.

Also, an alternative download site would be useful, as would a procedure on what to do when first using the G6 Lite (format as FAT32 and install firmware?)

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a short answer to the ScummVM question.

You must build your file using the .zip file method (GBA flashcart) outlined in the ScummVM DS homepage. This method does have a limitation though. You cannot have a pack larger than 32MB or else you'll be missing all data beyond 32MB.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
2 Comments:

Ultimate Spider-Man didn't work at all in safe mode for me, and works fine with any normal settings as long as you skip the first intro movie, since that's where it gets frozen.

I patched Mario Pinball and just like every other time I've tried to use the game on my EFA, the save did eventually disappear on my G6 Lite. This game is a waste of time.

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
Many thanks, have deleted it and setup my friends to work an absolute treat!

Can't get ScummDS working on there though, says something about a zip file when you load it up?! It does show the menu though, but then brings up that error regarding the zip files...

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what you should be reading

QUOTE said:
How to Get ScummVM DS Onto Your DS - With a GBA Flash Cart

* Download the binary release of ScummVM DS from this page. Unzip the archive into a folder.
  * Store your game files into a zip file, making sure to choose the 'No compression' option. If you don't do this, it won't work. If you have more than one game, put them in different folders in the ZIP.
  * Check to see whether the games you have are supported by build A or B, using the table of supported games below. You cannot mix games from builds A and B in the same Zip.
  * Put the zip file into the directory with ScummVM DS, calling it 'scummdata-a.zip' or 'scummdata-b.zip', depending on which build you're using. Make sure the games will fit on your flash card. The total size off the games cannot exceed 30Mb because of the limitation of the GBA cart bus.
  * Double click on the builddata-a.bat or builddata-b.bat as appropriate file to build your ROM image
  * Using your GBA flash cartridge software, burn 'scummvm-a-widthdata.ds.gba' or 'scummvm-b-withdata.ds.gba' onto your flash cartridge.
  * Boot your GBA using PassMe, FlashMe, or WiFiMe as appropriate
  * Enjoy!

Drucifer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Once I update my G6 Lite (currently 4.2b) I can delete the loader files can't I?

I just want to make sure before I go and start removing it from the G6. Stupid question I know since the G6 has already been updated so I'm sure the files are now useless. I'm guessing it is similar to the PSP where you download the update, run the update, then you can delete it from your memory card once it has been completed.

Thanks for the help.

jonny_eh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Once I update my G6 Lite (currently 4.2b) I can delete the loader files can't I?

I just want to make sure before I go and start removing it from the G6. Stupid question I know since the G6 has already been updated so I'm sure the files are now useless. I'm guessing it is similar to the PSP where you download the update, run the update, then you can delete it from your memory card once it has been completed.

Thanks for the help.

yup

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah the files on the root of the drive are used to flash a hidden 16megabit of the G6 apparently, so once its flashed you can remove them from the root.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple