Hacking G6 Lite Backup

liangooi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i'm very and seriously confused about the save system with the g6 lite.i backed up some games by using the read then write method but that don't work. but for some reason ouendan worked all of a sudden for some reason.

can someone who is willing to help me do? i will greatly appreciate it really. thanks in advance.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The G6 Lite (like most other DS flashcarts) stores the current save in a seperate bit of save memory while it's in use, then copies the save to the save file the next time you start up the cart. That's what it's doing when it says "Processing Data" (or whatever, I forget the exact words) right after it starts.

You MUST let it copy the current save to the save file before backing up or restoring the save for the last game you played. If you don't do this before backing up the save, you will be backing up the previous save without any of your latest progress. If you don't do this before restoring the save, the save file you copied to the cart will be overwritten as soon as you turn it on.

You don't need to use the U-Disk Manager to deal with saves. I always found it simpler to just use Windows Explorer/My Computer.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Why it shouldnt write in the .0 file directly?
Thing that surprised me is that I have my G6 for one year and I never have done that method.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Writing saves directly to the filesystem is relatively new. I believe the R4 was the first cart that had that feature. Even most current slot 1 flashcarts deal with saves basically the same way G6 Lite does.

Anyway, writing GBA saves directly to the flash memory would be bad. Games that use SRAM save types sometimes write data to the SRAM quite frequently. SRAM doesn't wear out with repeated writes, but flash memory does.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not all of them. This would only affect the last game you played, not every game on the cart.

But yes, some of your backed up saves probably are a step behind your latest progress in the game.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran

cotedb

Trophies
XP
Country

liangooi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in other words ur saying that using the using the u-disk manager to copy my saves onto my hard drive doesn't work?

Oh and i don't really get what u meant in ur previous post.... but thanks for ur reply!!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It works, I just found it to be a lot easier to deal with the saves myself. The G6 acts as a removable drive, so you just copy the .0 files off of it to back up your saves. To restore the saves, you just copy them back to the G6.

What I said in my first post boils down to this: Before you back up or restore saves, start the G6, let it process the save data, then turn it off.

liangooi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i get ya there but the thing is the save thing doesnt work for me. i had the .0 saves and i put it back on and it isnt there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu