fw.img that boots into HBL?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ptdborth, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ptdborth
    OP

ptdborth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2011
    Hi, i've semi bricked my WiiU (I know..I know, stupid), it's got CBHC installed, however I updated haxchi with a different config.txt as it was set to default to hbl and not sysmenu. The installed config.txt is
    a-fw.img
    b-sysmenu
    default-sysmenu

so my question is..is there a fw.img that boots straight into hbl so that I can uninstall cbhc? Thanks in advance.

2. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    What happens when you boot your Wii U? Can you hold home button to get to CBHC menu?

3. ptdborth
    OP

ptdborth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2011
    It auto boots straight to the system menu, holding home does nothing, just carries on booting into the sysmenu. Obviously something is working as quickstart works and I can boot to fw.img (tried the rednand image creator, which boots and allows me to make a backup..useless as it is I know). Thanks. Paul

4. EyeKey

EyeKey GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2017
    Israel
    So why not just launch HBL from the browser?

5. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    Was just about to ask the same thing :)

6. ptdborth
    OP

ptdborth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2011
    My apologies..it's bootlooping, so won't actually get into sysmenu. Thanks. Paul

7. jbuck1975

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Your problem is you installed haxchi over
    cbhc

8. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    Pity, if you have default=sysmenu you didn't set b=HBL or something (which is the normal thing to do). Pressing A works to boot fw.img? You could try changing that to the HBL elf (change the name of the elf to fw.img?). I don't know if that will work.

9. bootmonster

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    Not 100% sure this would work, but if you can create a rednand, you could use the nand tools to extract the dumped nand. Then run nandCbhcRemover, then rebuild the rednand to potentially fix the rednand and make it bootable. May not be able to fix your system nand and you may be stuck only using rednand, but unless I've missed something that should (maybe) work.

10. ptdborth
    OP

ptdborth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2011
    Have tried this..was hoping it would work but doesn't seem to boot an elf..only img. Will give it another go though. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Tried this too unfortunately, when I tried to open the slc.img it needs the otp.bin, which I don't have. Thanks.

11. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    Did you rename the "elf" to "fw.img"?

12. ptdborth
    OP

ptdborth Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2011
    Yes, will give it another go later. Would be great if this worked :) Thanks. Paul

13. icw35

icw35 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 22, 2010
    OK. You can boot to fw.img, right? So all is not lost (you are lucky).

If so, then you can use FTPeverywhere and remove the CBHC hack. I don't use CBHC myself so I can't remember where it is located, but you can remove the .xml file or reset it to boot properly using FTPe or wupclient. Obviously don't remove it :) It needs to be set back to normal to boot wiiu system menu.

So your system.xml file is in:

slc/sys/config/

The line that is changed (presumably - might be worth checking with other that know more about CBHC) is the default title id. Mine is set to 0005001010040200.

I don't know if CBHC changes anything else. You might also need to change the permissions on the file to 777 (to be sure) using chmod if using wupclient.

Last edited by icw35, Mar 27, 2017
  14. bootmonster

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    if you use hexfw as your fw.img you can use that to dump your otp.bin, seeprom etc