Hacking Translation Fuuraiki 3 - Need Help

DannyBeGoode

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is really unfortunate that this project doesn't appear to have continued. At least, we haven't heard any news in a while.

Would the translator involved be open to using an AI translator to assist them? That way, the output can be reviewed and corrected if needed. I think it would dramatically reduce the workload of this project.

Regardless of what your team decides to do, I really hope this project is completed. Fuuraiki is a series I've always wanted to play and it would be a shame if this is abandoned. Cheers.

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AI translation is not good and never will be good translation. No, we are not going with that.
And editing machine translation is far more work than just translating from scratch, and leads to a far worse final result.

Reactions: PrincessLisette

DannyBeGoode

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. I personally know a self published author who translated his novel into English with the aid of an AI translator and the result was not too bad. Various phrases were quite awkward and literal and therefore had to be fixed by himself after the fact, but doing the translation this way saved him a lot of time. Granted, the source language was not Japanese so I understand that the nuances between English and Japanese might not be nuances at all and require a human translator.

Either way, I really wish you the best with this project going forward.

AttackOtter

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt the AI translation from this self published author actually carries the emotional weight and nuances of the original writing. Machine translation is trained on existing translations to a target language, and it can not actually parse the meaning of a work. It just sees words and phrases, tries to find equivalents, and then dumps out something that doesn't reflect the original.
Writing is art, and art is made with feelings and emotions. Machines do not parse feelings or emotions when making output, they only look at the words that are there and thus will never reflect the original work in any meaningful way.

Reactions: PrincessLisette

DannyBeGoode

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt the AI translation from this self published author actually carries the emotional weight and nuances of the original writing. Machine translation is trained on existing translations to a target language, and it can not actually parse the meaning of a work. It just sees words and phrases, tries to find equivalents, and then dumps out something that doesn't reflect the original.
Writing is art, and art is made with feelings and emotions. Machines do not parse feelings or emotions when making output, they only look at the words that are there and thus will never reflect the original work in any meaningful way.
Yes, the end result is not as good as the original Spanish version but after some revising it wasn't bad. We can agree on all your points. However, it worked for him who already speaks English, resides in a third world country and worked with a limited budget. No one is disputing the fact that a competent human translator is leagues above an AI translation program. All I provided was a possible suggestion to streamline the translation process while conceding that it may not work for Japanese. Simple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-