future proofing my collection

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jonnytron, Oct 16, 2016.

1. jonnytron
    OP

jonnytron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    ive been away from thescene for a while and just wondering what i need to do to catch up.

ok... so i've got one 3DS (mine) that is A9LH on the last firmware, am i right in assuming i can just update this in the system menu without causing any trouble? and will i still be able to access homebrew through the homebrew launcher?

the more confusing one is my girlfriends which is also in my sig. which is currently launching into emunand from 9.2 sysnand via ctrbootmanager. With this one i understand there is a risk in using plialects guide that it may softbrick and force update the sysnand but im prepared to take the risk if this is the only way? advice?

Last edited by jonnytron, Oct 16, 2016
  2. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    The A9LH console is safe to update via system settings. Before doing so what is your entry point for homebrew? If it's secondary, install 11.1 payload before you update via HBL.

For the other console, certainly updating to A9LH makes it more robust. But you can continue to use it via emuNAND. There is a risk of the sysNAND is ever updated to 11.1 to loose the hacking, but since you have a 3ds on custom firmware you can always downgrade via dsiware had if that happens.

Short answer is yes you can update first console but first setup homebrew for 11.1 if you have secondary exploit. Also, it's up to you if you want to A9LH the othe console, but it's not much risk if anything happens now since you have another console with can downgrade it.

3. jonnytron
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    my entry point is the hombrew launcher app so i imagine i need to get a new payload? how? also i think i need to repair my home menu beforehand because ive done a bit of editing to it in the past. Am i right in remembering you can download the packs necessary for this on 3DNUS?

for the other one then am i ok to update the emunand in the system settings? then tackle setting up A9LH at a later date?

Last edited by jonnytron, Oct 22, 2016
  4. jonnytron
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2015
    Hi, sorry for double posting but i really need an answer.
    I've converted the later 3ds to luma emuNAND at 11.1 so that's all sorted (as far as i know until something doesn't work)

With my main 3ds though im still a bit confused. In the past ive patched my home menu in order to get region free patching (way back when aureinand didnt do it)... due to that will i need to 'fix' my home menu by downloading the 10.6 (and so 11.0) homemenu from 3DNUS, before i upgrade my A9LH sysNAND to 11.1???