Hacking Full System Nand Backup Restore from Previous OFW?

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created a full NAND backup when the console was on OFW v5.1, and before I decided to use any CFW, on my Switch.

Now my Switch is on OFW v.6.0, and completely forgot to create a Clean NAND back up before I started using CFW on the console.

Is there a way, or is it possible, to use the Clean NAND Backup from OFW v5.1 to restore the console back to factory? Or am I sh*t out of luck, and just take my chances on using Haku33 to wipe my NAND.

I never Registered, Play Online, or went to the eShop, with the Switch...

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m no expert but I’m in the process of doing this as well and IMO from what I’ve read. Sorry but you’re SOL. Your current OFW and the restore backup have to be the same OFW.

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m no expert but I’m in the process of doing this as well and IMO from what I’ve read. Sorry but you’re SOL. Your current OFW and the restore backup have to be the same OFW.
I kinda figured that I would be S.O.L. for NOT creating a new NAND Back Up, before I decided to run CFW on my Switch.

I guess now I just have to take my chances that "Haku33" will help from getting my Switch banned in the event I decide to Register and play On Line with the console by using OFW...

Last edited by SoCALCat,
Reactions: laz305

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda figured that I would be S.O.L. for NOT creating a new NAND Back Up, before I decided to run CFW on my Switch.

I guess now I just have to take my chances that "Haku33" will help from getting my Switch banned in the event I decide to Register and play On Line with the console by using OFW...
Yeah lmk how that works. I might try that too. Does it wipe all your games as well from emuMMC?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your fuse count match with the backup you made you can restore it and go back online fine, you need to have the Rawnand + the boot0/1 to do a NAND restore.

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what I've been reading "Haku33" doesn't mess with anything that's installed on the SD Card, it just wipes everything that's related into the Consoles Nand.

In the event you have Save States, it's best to back them up before using "Haku33". This also includes backing up your Nand, just in case something were to go wrong while using "Haku33"...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah lmk how that works. I might try that too. Does it wipe all your games as well from emuMMC?
As far as I know, "Haku33" does NOT wipe your SD Card, it only wipes everything to do with CFW from the Console's NAND.

Before using "Haku33", it's best to create a NAND Back Up, & save all your Save States, just in case something goes wrong while using "Haku33"...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restore the clean backup to clean your system. Fuses are irrelevant. You will just have to boot into your OFW using Hekate until after you update the system.

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your fuse count match with the backup you made you can restore it and go back online fine, you need to have the Rawnand + the boot0/1 to do a NAND restore.
So if the fuse count from OFW v.5.1, were to match the fuse count from OFW v6.0, I will be able to use it?

If so, How will I be able to compare the Fuse Count, from OFW v.5.1 to 6.0 to see if they match?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if the fuse count from OFW v.5.1, were to match the fuse count from OFW v6.0, I will be able to use it?

If so, How will I be able to compare the Fuse Count, from OFW v.5.1 to 6.0 to see if they match?

You can restore it if you have the matching boot 0/1 with the rawnand from firmware 5.1, if you don't have it then don't restore, you won't be able to boot if you just restore the rawnand.

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses

Scroll all the way down, 5.1.0 has 6, and 6.0.0 has 7

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Unless you had AutoRCM installed, your fuse count no longer matches the fuse count expected by 5.1.0, but that doesn't matter. You can boot your system with Hekate and update to a system version where the fuse count will match.

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restore the clean backup to clean your system. Fuses are irrelevant. You will just have to boot into your OFW using Hekate until after you update the system.

My Switch is currently on OFW 6.0, and if I were to update it to the latest OFW Version, wouldn't that screw up all, or most, of my Homebrew Apps?

I thought the lower the Firmware the better it is while using CFW? Also, wouldn't it be better to use "ChoiDujournx" to upgrade the Firmware while using CFW, and eliminate on having to burn fuses on the Switch?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Switch is currently on OFW 6.0, and if I were to update it to the latest OFW Version, wouldn't that screw up all, or most, of my Homebrew Apps?
If you want a clean sysMMC, then you should do the following:
  1. Restore your clean eMMC backup (assuming you have BOOT0/1 as well)
  2. Boot your system (you will probably have to use Hekate to do this, since there will be a fuse mismatch)
  3. Update the system using the system settings
  4. After the update, you don't need Hekate anymore to boot your sysMMC.
If you're wanting a clean sysMMC, then I am assuming you want to play online, which requires the latest system version. If you aren't worried about online play right now, then you don't need to worry about cleaning your sysMMC.

I thought the lower the Firmware the better it is while using CFW? Also, wouldn't it be better to use "ChoiDujournx" to upgrade the Firmware while using CFW, and eliminate on having to burn fuses on the Switch?
The higher the system version (as long as it's compatible with your CFW), the better. Newer games require newer system versions. If you don't care about a clean sysMMC, then you can use Daybreak (better than ChoiDujourNX) to update your system to 10.2.0 instead. You can install AutoRCM beforehand if you don't want to burn fuses.

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can restore it if you have the matching boot 0/1 with the rawnand from firmware 5.1, if you don't have it then don't restore, you won't be able to boot if you just restore the rawnand.

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses

Scroll all the way down, 5.1.0 has 6, and 6.0.0 has 7
So I take it that the OFW 5.1 NAND Back Up is NOT going to work, because the Fuse Count on OFW 6.0 is one digit higher than 5.1. Is this correct?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I take it that the OFW 5.1 NAND Back Up is NOT going to work, because the Fuse Count on OFW 6.0 is one digit higher than 5.1. Is this correct?

if you want to boot normally without a custom bootloader like Hekate then you will have to update back to 6.0.0 if you burn up to 7 fuse if you went back to 5.1.0

Last edited by Hayato213,

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a clean sysMMC, then you should do the following:
  1. Restore your clean eMMC backup (assuming you have BOOT0/1 as well)
  2. Boot your system (you will probably have to use Hekate to do this, since there will be a fuse mismatch)
  3. Update the system using the system settings
  4. After the update, you don't need Hekate anymore to boot your sysMMC.
If you're wanting a clean sysMMC, then I am assuming you want to play online, which requires the latest system version. If you aren't worried about online play right now, then you don't need to worry about cleaning your sysMMC.

The higher the system version (as long as it's compatible with your CFW), the better. Newer games require newer system versions. If you don't care about a clean sysMMC, then you can use Daybreak (better than ChoiDujourNX) to update your system to 10.2.0 instead. You can install AutoRCM beforehand if you don't want to burn fuses.
Maybe it will be a good idea to wipe everything out on my Switch by using BOOT0/1, and Hekate, so I could update the console to OFW v.10.2.0 before NINJA decides to do another OFW Update.

Especially with everything that's going on with SXOX...

So far I haven't herd anything screwing up for the peep's that are running CFW while on OFW v.10.2.0...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it will be a good idea to wipe everything out on my Switch by using BOOT0/1, and Hekate, so I could update the console to OFW v.10.2.0 before NINJA decides to do another OFW Update.

Especially with everything that's going on with SXOX...

So far I haven't herd anything screwing up for the peep's that are running CFW while on OFW v.10.2.0...
Some questions:
  1. Are you wanting to use online play with legitimately purchased games?
  2. Are you using an emuMMC?
  3. Is there a problem you're experiencing?

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fuse count is irrelevant. You can bypass the mismatch with Hekate.
I see your point. I'll have to give it a shoot and see what happens while using Hekate...

Some questions:
  1. Are you wanting to use online play with legitimately purchased games?
  2. Are you using an emuMMC?
  3. Is there a problem you're experiencing?
I do have some purchased games I wouldn't mind playing On Line
I am currently using emuMMC, that's mainly the main reason I play my Switch
No problems as of yet. I just would like to have a clean NAND Back Up, in the event I ever decided to sell my v.1 Switch...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see your point. I'll have to give it a shoot and see what happens while using Hekate...

I do have some purchased games I wouldn't mind playing On Line
I am currently using emuMMC, that's mainly the main reason I play my Switch
No problems as of yet. I just would like to have a clean NAND Back Up, in the event I ever decided to sell my v.1 Switch...
Do you pay for online play, or are you going to in the near future?

You already have a clean backup. Just hold onto it and use it if you ever need it.

Last edited by Lacius,

SoCALCat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you pay for online play, or are you going to in the near future?

You already have a clean backup. Just hold onto it and use it if you ever need it.
I never Registered or paid to play On Line with my Switch. I just been using it for CFW. Maybe sometime soon I'll Register the Switch so I could play On Line. That's if it doesn't get banned due to CFW use...

I know I have a clean Back Up from OFW v.5.1, I just don't know if is going to work with OFW v.6.0 when I go to use Hekate, and BOOT0/1 from OFW v.5.1...

Last edited by SoCALCat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...