Full Speed NDS Emulator Coming to Android!!!

Discussion in 'Android' started by LightyKD, Jul 18, 2013.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    It's about damn time!

Haloman800, EvilMakiPR, Thug and 2 others like this.

2. Gameplayer9198

Gameplayer9198 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 4, 2010
    United States
    USA, Kentucky
    This with that FC30 gamepad and your set :)

nukeboy95 and Costello like this.
  3. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    No need since i have a dstwo.
    I am still waiting for a full speed dreamcast emulator. There is the leaked nulldce, but no one bothers to update it, I would if I knew how to program.

4. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Want just for Ace Attorney.

TheCasketMan likes this.
  5. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    One of the many reasons android beats apple.

6. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I hope there is a screen and button re-size option so that I can have view of everything on my tablet without having to switch things around.

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    This would probably be feasible on iOS too, tbh.

omgpwn666, Rydian and RodrigoDavy like this.
  8. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    You're absolutely right. It might actually work even better in iOS, but unfortunately Apple imposes a very harsh policy in software developers (you actually need to have a Mac to program for iOS) and that's why Android benefits more from the average software developer

9. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Who said the software had to be available on the apple store? :P

10. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Well the hardware on an android is more capible than an apple smart phone. And even so if a ds emulator would run on an iPhone it would be laggy plus over time the jailbreak to get the emulator will slow your phone down so possible but not likely

EvilMakiPR likes this.
  11. weavile001

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Jun 10, 2012
    Brazil
    somewhere
    I Think it´s because most things on the Phones today come to the apple store first.

12. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2013
    United States
    Prox
    I can't tell if that footage is real or not, but I'm hopeful, the reason I doubt is that those lines from recording look fake, and they aren't consistent across the whole screen some of the time. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those lines only arise from inline, and not progressive scan?

Either way, if it's real, I'm on board.

13. Judas18

Judas18 Queen Kunty

Jul 30, 2011
    England
    FINALLY!!! I have a DSTwo for my DSi/3DS but it'd be nice to play roms on my phone or tablet while on the move. Don't like taking handheld consoles out with me.

EvilMakiPR likes this.
  14. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    I don't like taking out the system either but a phone seems impractical (small screens) and tablets are already larger than your console.

15. Judas18

Judas18 Queen Kunty

Jul 30, 2011
    England
    Granted an S4 screen is much smaller than a DS and a Nexus 7 screen is much larger. BUT I'd only use it for something casual. Maybe if I'm on a long train journey or something. I use My Boy! for the same thing. Just to fill up time while bored.

16. .Chris

.Chris Clueless

Feb 20, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Saw this on XDA as well. I read somewhere that some tester used an Xperia Play for this, and it ran games perfectly with a bit a frameskip.
    Had my Xperia Play for about 2 years, its about time. :D

17. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    How about animal crossing?

18. ducksFANjason

ducksFANjason Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2012
    United States
    While I haven't actually been able to see this emulator running in person with my own eyes, I trust 100% that it's real. There's 2 reasons for this:

1) Drastic (the name of this emu) for Android is being handled by a guy named Exophase. He's fairly well known in the emulation scene for other handhelds. He's responsible for GPSP (a FANTASTIC GameBoy Advance emulator) for the Wiz, the Pandora and the PSP. He's also had his hand in numerous other programs for those handhelds and his work has always left me wowed. The point is this: If Exophase says this is running full-speed (or nearly full-speed) I believe him.

2) Drastic has already been released for a while now on the Pandora. I've personally used it myself on my own Pandora and while it was NOT full-speed for most games, the processing power of most Android phones (especially my Galaxy Note 2) is much more powerful than that of a Pandora. Drastic on the Pandora was already running at a playable speed for many games so I'm sure there will be a marked improvement on a more powerful Android device. I'm not hugely in the know when it comes to hardware but from what I've seen the Pandora runs on a 1 GHz Cortex A8 processor while my Note 2 sports a 1.6 GHz Cortex A9 processor. My phone is roughly twice as powerful as my Pandora is so the speed improvements should be dramatic.

Obviously the speeds are going to depend on your device. Just watch some of the Youtube videos that are testing this emulator on current devices and you'll see. The speeds are fantastic - even on devices that are behind the times (like the Xperia Play).

Anyway, all of the above is simply to say that while I'm in no way affiliated with Exophase or this emulator - I am very excited for its release. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised once it's out.

Hikaru likes this.
  19. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

GBAtemp Patron
    Zerousen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 30, 2009
    United States
    tbh I don't think that emulators run all too well on iOS, probably a hardware thing, mostly for N64 and PSX games. Then again, I've only tried them on the latest iPod Touch, I'm not sure how it would do on an iPhone 5.

20. LightyKD
    OP

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Anybody know how to contact Exophase? I tried sending the following email but got a "wrong email address message instead"

...To begin this email, I would like to say thank you so much for making this emulator! I just have one request and it may or may not be a big one. When the emulator is used on a 7+ inch tablet, it would be nice to be able to hold the device vertical (portrait) and have the top and bottom screens at the same width of the Original DS (or smaller as needed). Additionally, it would be nice to have all pertinent game controls in the same general areas as on a DS, giving many of us the same feeling as playing on a legit DS. You could even add different color backgrounds, mocking the ability to have different color DS consoles. I sincerely hope that this request is not too much but any consideration would be awesome.
    Sincerely,
    Lighty Kid

It's a suggestion but one that I think would make this emulator beyond awesome!