Hacking Full screen vWii, where art thou?

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Pulled out my Wii u the other day and connected it up to my tv and noticed that the vWii is now bordered all round for some reason?

USB loader uses the full display but the games are displayed with varying black borders. SMG has a 1cm black box all round, Paper Mario has just vertical borders.

Pretty sure this wasn't the case on my old tv which was probably stretching or overscanning but it's new to me.

What's the deal with this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's native on vWii (not a USB Loader issue), you can try with an original game disc on vWii.
On Wii, the widescreen ratio is faked, the console always output fixed width*height 4:3 pixels to TV, only the game buffer is different (adding or removing vertical lines to fake aspect ratio when stretched picture is displayed on a widescreen tv).
On vWii, the output is really set to 16:9.
Maybe the console compensate the fake 4:3 by adding black bars, or just doesn't use the same overscan value than Wii did.

old TV had a lot of overscan (part of the picture's border weren't rendered on screen), now most TV have the option to do the same by Zooming the picture a little, but it's best to keep it "full screen" and have black bars instead.
Play in a dark room, you'll not see the black bar anymore :P

Nintendont and Devolution are trying to minimize the black bars by editing the TV output size, but there's nothing like this for Wii games (yet?).

Last edited by Cyan,

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Nintendont and Devolution are trying to minimize the black bars by editing the TV output size, but there's nothing like this for Wii games (yet?).
Not only that, they seem to do something with the colors, too. vWii games look muddy and a bit "blurry", when I start Gamecube games with Nintendont from the Wii U they look much better than vWii games.

It would be really great if it was possible to use those settings Nintendont uses for regular vWii VC injected games.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Yes, there is definitely something going on in terms of the graphical processing for vWii and its so much more noticeable since I upgraded my TV as the old set just wasn't as sharp/configurable all round whereas the new one allows you to fiddle with practically every little detail and the vWii muddiness is uber evident in contrast to GC stuff.

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Many such cases.