Frozen switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by chartube12, Mar 14, 2017.

1. chartube12
    OP

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    My switch froze. Just now. i undocked it and went to launch Zelda and it froze. It doesn't respond at all. What do i do?

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Turn it off and back on?

3. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Heat it up, it must be really cold to freeze like that.

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Have you tried turning it off and back on?

5. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Same to me yesterday, the firt issue i see in my Switch, i just force to power off and done, in portable mode diconect the charger, unlock Switch, ran Zelda and freeze in Home Menu.

6. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    hold down power until it turns off. Give it a moment then turn it back on. If there's more of a problem than that, there be issues.

7. chartube12
    OP

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Holding down the power button didn't work. I contacted nintendo for support...was on hold for a solid 2 hours..they said they are aware of the issue and are working on a firmware updated to address it. Only thing i can do is let it sit until it's power dies completely

8. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Try resetting it?

9. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Oh...i just hold the power button for 10-12 second.

10. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea let the battery die out. Also hold down the power button for about 5mins and see if that does anything. Remove joycons also.

Sucks to have these problems but it happens with new devices. hopefully its just a firmware problem and not hardware.

11. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Nintendo going to fix a bunch of things upcoming firmware update, mine was considered a perfect Switch until it froze on me last night right after a soft power on from standby mode not charging.

Also some games suffer from the Wi-Fi card pulling too many resources from the CPU, let's hope this is the case with Breath of the Wild and a fix will increase the frame-rates somewhat.

PS. 15 seconds is needed for holding the power button to hard power off the Switch (taken from Nintendo's official support web-page for the Switch) however I just hold mine until it powers off (same difference).

CandraSoftware likes this.
  12. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    I had this today after switching profiles, I tried holding the power button with no success until I undocked.