Front Panel Power Switches

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Joe88, Mar 9, 2013.

Mar 9, 2013

Front Panel Power Switches by Joe88 at 7:00 AM (623 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Joe88
    OP

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I have alot of led's, and cathode lights in my case (including on the outside) this case in particular http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144177
    what I would like is a 5.25" front panel with switches on it to allow me to turn on and shut off these devices

4 switches is all I would need, all devices are molex, simply just plug molex into each switch
    switch 1: front panel led strips + temp gauge led
    switch 2: side led fan
    switch 3: blue cathodes
    switch 4: uv cathodes

I found this
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=257&products_id=20490
    it has an option to add ground wire to all switches and add a male molex
    but I think I will still have to cut and wire all the stuff, I would rather not cut the connectors off if possible

2. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Honestly if I were you I would hand make one. Take one of your front panel inserts if you still have your old ones (are you REALLY going to reduce the amount of 5.25" drives in there?), pick up four switches from Radioshack of your choosing, grab a few 4 pin molex male and molex female connectors (4 of each, unless I am so tired that I'm not thinking of a more efficient way)(not sure if Radioshack sells them or not).

Take a couple of measurements of the panel, divide it into fifths vertically and half horizontally, cross mark each spot and trace the diameter. Drill a pilot and use either a hole drill or a dremel to widen it out until the switches fit. If you can do basic soldering and have pretty much just a dremel handy, this wouldn't be at all hard to do, maybe a few hours as you plan everything out, and you get the bonus of it matching your case perfectly with the front panel insert and being able to choose what switch style you want.
    Edit - actually, one female and four male molex connectors is all you would need.

3. Joe88
    OP

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    Shouldn't it be one male and four female? assuming I daisy chain the switches from the main power lead like the product in the link
    and I would need 4x 3 pin rocker switches (ones that arnt huge on the actual switch end as I have an acrylic door with not alot of clearance) and 12x crimp quick disconnect female spade connectors

I already salvaged about 9x female 4 pin molex connectors from an old psu
    I have the 5.25" plastic insert from my case, I'm not going to need 4 slots for drives, I'm only using 3 of the slots and 3.5 is out of the question as they are both filled

4. Joe88
    OP

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    looks like things are gonna get more complicated
    ones of the things on the front of the case is using is using 5v instead of 12v so I would need a 5th switch with its own 5v feed rather then daisy chaining the 12v

so

5x 3 pin rocker switch
    15x female spade connector quick disconnect
    1x male molex
    5x female molex
    wire

5. Joe88
    OP

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    2 months later and finished product

pics
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

video

Sicklyboy and Originality like this.
  6. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Effin cool man, how does it work? Pretty well I am hoping?

7. DCG

Member DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    XD you've got the same BD burner as I do :)

I'm looking for possible lighting in my pc case as well, but it's on a lower priority list than getting a new cpu + mobo or making a new case.

8. Joe88
    OP

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    the wiring was a mess, I used old psu molex wires so I had extra connectors I didnt need (including floppy)
    I used breadboard wires to daisy chain since they were short and pre stripped and came in red and black

you can see the wiring schematic below
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Sicklyboy likes this.