Apple From a jailbroken iPad to a non-jailbroken iPad

Y05h1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So a friend of mine is looking to update their iPad to iOS 5, and they are willing to lose their jailbreak in the process...

The question is, does app data get lost for "jailbroken" apps?

Take Angry Birds for example. Let's say she acquired her copy through means other than the App Store. Naturally by updating, the copy is going to be lost. But that's okay, it can be purchased off the App Store. Now the question is, will progress in the game be lost? And if it will... is there some method by which the data can be kept?

It's sort of the deal-breaker here...

If anyone has any insight on the matter, help would be appreciated. The device in question hasn't been updated since 3.2, so it's pretty badly in need of a refresh.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably get lost. That's what you get for pirating, I guess.

FYI, Angry Birds is not a jailbroken app. It is a pirated app. A jailbroken app would be something like WinterBoard or SBSettings, apps available exclusively by jailbreak.

Y05h1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hence the quotation marks... I was just avoiding the word so as to avoid someone preaching about the topic of piracy. My question wasn't about the ethics of piracy, it was pretty specific, I don't know why you felt the need to flaunt your morals on the subject. Not to mention my question pertains to the deleting of said pirated apps, and purchase of "real" copies.

Sigh. Thanks for your insightful comment. Does anyone actually know something about the subject?

Y05h1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks. Too bad it requires a jailbreak to restore the saves, but it should do the trick. I guess the process would be something like:
1. Install Appbackup
2. Backup saves
3. Update to iOS 5
4. Purchase apps that are now gone (from the App Store)
5. Jailbreak
6. Install Appbackup
7. Restore saves
8. Backup device on itunes
9. Do a restore to get rid of jailbreak (since it's tethered only at the moment, as far as I know)

Aaand done. Well, not exactly hassle free, but, that's life...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: