FrodoDS help?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Pizzaroo, Mar 20, 2009.

Mar 20, 2009

FrodoDS help? by Pizzaroo at 2:20 AM (2,463 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Pizzaroo
    OP

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    Hey, just a little question that I have, hope one of you can answer. How do I boot a game in frodoDS? I press "L", pick the game I want, press "A", then I go back to the main screen thing. Now what do I do? I can't figure it out! Help please.

2. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Type "LOAD *,8,1" and then "RUN".

I think FrodoDS has a shortcut for doing this, but I don't remember it offhand. Did you check the readme?

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Moved to appropriate section..

4. Pizzaroo
    OP

United States
    The Shortcut is pressing L and it will give you a menu of the games, but it wont run them!

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    The biggest problem with C64 emu's is that they work JUST LIKE a REAL C64. So unless there are hotkeys to initiate certain functions, you have to do it manually. The "games" that you select with FrodoDS only loads the disk image, you still have to run the correct file.

You may still have had to type Load"*",8,1.

If you did that and it still didn't work. You MIGHT have just needed to type "run" after the file loaded.

With some games, you can't run it by just typing Load"*",8,1. That only attempts to load the first file on the disk. Some disk images don't have a valid "first file" to run. You had to know the specific file name to use instead of "*". For example, You would have to had typed Load"Happy Game",8,1.

A way to see the disc directory of the disk-image is to use Load"$",8 (no ,1), then type "list" to get the directory. You should then see a full list of all the files on the disk. C64 disk images had many intro screens, and sometimes even some of the game's own official intro's, in a separate executable.....they would boot and show you whatever they were, but wouldn't continue into the game or otherwise function beyond showing you what they were. Kinda strange, but that's how it was back then. If you boot one like that, try a different file in the disk directory for the game content.

Some more tips for anyone using FrodoDS from a dude who was into C64's back then.....some can be hard to explain, bear with me...

1) When you type Load"whatever",8,1, and you know it was correct file but it still didn't work, try typing Load"whatever",8 (no ,1) instead, then run it. Some games were weird like that on the C64.

2) When typing words like Load, List or Run, you can shorten it by using a shift-(the next letter in the word) as the second letter. So for example Load"whatever",8,1 would become L(shift-O)"whatever",8,1. List would become L(shift-I), Run would be R(shift U). get it?
    Shift-O/I/U will look like a funky graphic, don't worry about what it looks like, it will work.

3)When you have to get a directory of the disk to find the file name to boot to run the game, you can you scroll up to the line and overwrite the text with Load before the "gamename" and ,8,1 after....but be sure the rest of the line is clear of any erroneous text.

4) There are some games that just plain don't work on FrodoDS. Unfortunate but true. Most of MY favorites (Defender of the Crown, Turrican, Mondu's Fight Palace, Alien Syndrome, etc.) didn't let me continue to the next disk-load to continue in the game. FrodoDS seems to prefer single-load files better than ones that would have to access the disk-image multiple times.

I'm not really familiar with any of the shortcuts FrodoDS might have to make all of what I just said easier, so maybe someone else who DOES know could explain what those shortcuts in FrodoDS might be?

Hope that helps ya!
    [​IMG]

6. Pizzaroo
    OP

United States
    Meh, still doesn't work. Oh well, thanks anyway.