Not open for further replies.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Can't really argue that one, can I.

Last I checked though, you had to pick up currency cards for that region online though, which is a bit of a hassle and a half, but yeah, if I didn't shop the deals at physical shops, and was digital only, I would definitely have set mine up as being in Canada or something, they supposedly have slightly lower prices than the US shop when taking tax into consideration.

Bigger problem then too, is storage. I got two 200gb SD cards from a friend as a gift and I'm already alternating between the two. I mean, I own well over 100 digital games but still.
And you play all of them at the same time, right? :P

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread should be interpreted as "How can I pirate?" and it should be locked or deleted, and the OP banned. Not only that, but it's the dumbest thing I've seen all day. freeshop and the like were made useless months ago now, so why would anybody assume it would work on Nintendo's current money maker?

Reactions: coppertj

Sakuraibr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
65 USD. Those are Australian Dollars. When talking about "bucks" in an internet setting most people automatically assume USD. That's not used where I live, too, but using AUD while complaining about prices in Dollar is a bit dishonest, in my opinion.
Keep in mind about inflation, though. Don't know about AU, but the prices hit hard specially when applying tax, shipping and tax over shipping (if physical) here. Nintendo does research and apply eShop prices to be about the same than the physical game unit sold by retailers when used the eShop account locally. The best deal is to use an US/CAN account but due to, again, inflation, the game dollar price can cost more than, you say, most of the bills. Unfortunatly, getting Nintendo games this inaccessible leads a lot of people to pirate every day.
Kinda off-topic though.

Last edited by Sakuraibr,

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And you play all of them at the same time, right? :P
Leave me alone!

Nah. I've been thinking about the best way to approach it. Right now I have all my games from A-L on one, and M-Z on the other. There's stuff like South Park on one, a 20 odd gig download and I wanna play it every now and then, but then I wanna fire up a quick round of Fortnite with the missus and I gotta swap. Thinking I might just put my frequent rotation games on one card and the rest on the other. Ever since my demos of Chromagun (which I later bought anyway) and Super Beat Sports disappeared and stopped being available to downloaded entirely, I don't delete anything. So even if I only keep the games I'm currently playing on the card, I'll have all the tiles from everything else on there still just out of paranoia, like that game One Strike that got deleted. I own it, and although I've not played it yet (picked it up for like half a dollar right before the delisting), there's no way in fuck I'm deleting it any time soon. Oh, first world problems.

65 USD. Those are Australian Dollars. When talking about "bucks" in an internet setting most people automatically assume USD. That's not used where I live, too, but using AUD while complaining about prices in Dollar is a bit dishonest, in my opinion.

You can use Google to convert the prices pretty easily. My first post said "EB Games here", before listing the prices, indicating I'm talking about my country, and there's a giant ass Aussie flag next to my name on every post I'll ever make. I mean, it can't really get much more forthcoming and honest, in my opinion.

Reactions: Quantumcat

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm fine with the online ban, I mean obviously I would prefer to be able to play online and not have to worry about that. But I guess my other question is if free shop is gone, is there any other form of downloading free games? Even if that means needing to use a computer?

To give you a bit more detail as to why your freeshop question isn't feasible.

To download from Nintendo's CDN requires the use of both your console's unique certificate and a token that is generated by your console when you connect to the servers.

As both of these contain information about the Nintendo Account in use and also the console ID you are unable to bypass the security checks and still keep your console online.

What these security checks do:

The certificate is used to ensure that the request comes from an actual console
The server then requests that the token is provided and access is provided to the file

There used to be a way to bypass the first check by using a publicly available certificate but when people started abusing this system nintendo changed their authentication method and started requiring the use of the token.

Even IF you did manage to download any files from Nintendo, without the use of CFW and Emunand/Nand Backup you would be running the risk of banning your console entirely as the installation of the downloaded file would flag your console with nintendo's servers. You could leave your console offline and then do a Nand restore after every session but this in turn could flag you for a ban as your logs would not match.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

AndrewH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you must be paying a lot of tax for a game then

This is what I go through out here in Canada. After tax, games come to about $91. They are $80 before taxes even kick in and shipping on top of that, if you don't get it through Amazon, or a local vendor. Either way, out the door, you are paying $91 minimum for each game.

Reactions: Vorde

Genevieve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so I understand that Freeshop right now pretty much just isn't available.

But regarding everyone's responses about expensive games, what some people don't understand is that in different countries the prices of games go WAY up because its not translated by the dollar. For example in Costa Rica 500 colones is = 1 US dollar, which means 1,000 colones is = to 2 US dollars. And in Costa Rica instead of full Switch games being 30,000 colones ($60), they're 60,000 colones ($120) which is absolutely insane.

And yes, since the Switch isn't region locked anyone around the world can download games on the shop for $60, but lots of people prefer physical games because once they're done with the game then they can sell it and make 2/3's of their money back to invest in new games.

Reactions: coppertj

TheDukeOfNukem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

But regarding everyone's responses about expensive games, what some people don't understand is that in different countries the prices of games go WAY up because its not translated by the dollar. For example in Costa Rica 500 colones is = 1 US dollar, which means 1,000 colones is = to 2 US dollars. And in Costa Rica instead of full Switch games being 30,000 colones ($60), they're 60,000 colones ($120) which is absolutely insane.

And yes, since the Switch isn't region locked anyone around the world can download games on the shop for $60, but lots of people prefer physical games because once they're done with the game then they can sell it and make 2/3's of their money back to invest in new games.

You can't really use the "I prefer physical games" argument against buying digitally, when your whole post on here is about pirating games in the first place.

Genevieve

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't really use the "I prefer physical games" argument against buying digitally, when your whole post on here is about pirating games in the first place.
That was completely unrelated to pirating. Regardless I think Switch games are expensive, physical or digital.

D

Deleted User

That was completely unrelated to pirating. Regardless I think Switch games are expensive, physical or digital.
I'm sure for everything you pirated on the 3DS is enough to get you a collection of games for the Switch

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

To answer your question, FreeShopNX still works, you just need to be on the latest FW (6.2 at the time of this writing). You need CFW on your Switch in order to access the Homebrew Menu and run the FreeShopNX.nro. You'll also need a FreeShopNX.txt file that contains the Rights IDs, Title Keys, and names of the games you'd like to install (I cannot help you with this file as the title keys are the copyrighted piracy part). FreeShopNX can also be used to install just the tickets for the games rather than the full games themselves.

The reason everyone is warning you about banning is that when your Switch is banned it's not just banned from online play but also from Nintendo's content distribution network. This means if you get banned, FreeShopNX will no longer be able to download any more games (FreeShopNX downloads the games directly from Nintendo's server just like FreeShop on 3DS did). Nintendo ramped up their security so while you may be able to snag a few games this way you're more likely to get banned quicker now than in the past when FreeShopNX was first released.

Reactions: Deleted User

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
To answer your question, FreeShopNX still works, you just need to be on the latest FW (6.2 at the time of this writing). You need CFW on your Switch in order to access the Homebrew Menu and run the FreeShopNX.nro. You'll also need a FreeShopNX.txt file that contains the Rights IDs, Title Keys, and names of the games you'd like to install (I cannot help you with this file as the title keys are the copyrighted piracy part). FreeShopNX can also be used to install just the tickets for the games rather than the full games themselves.

The reason everyone is warning you about banning is that when your Switch is banned it's not just banned from online play but also from Nintendo's content distribution network. This means if you get banned, FreeShopNX will no longer be able to download any more games (FreeShopNX downloads the games directly from Nintendo's server just like FreeShop on 3DS did). Nintendo ramped up their security so while you may be able to snag a few games this way you're more likely to get banned quicker now than in the past when FreeShopNX was first released.
Don't you need something for the "new" auth decryption or whatever (can't remember the name now)?

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't you need something for the "new" auth decryption or whatever (can't remember the name now)?

Yes, there is the edge token that is needed. That's the token I was referencing in my post. In all honest Freeshop is pointless. It is a one way ticket to a ban.

Esjay131

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there is the edge token that is needed. That's the token I was referencing in my post. In all honest Freeshop is pointless. It is a one way ticket to a ban.
Who would want to ban their $300+ console anyway, unless they had an extremely disposable income?

Grmmish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm fine with the online ban, I mean obviously I would prefer to be able to play online and not have to worry about that. But I guess my other question is if free shop is gone, is there any other form of downloading free games? Even if that means needing to use a computer?

Banned online does not mean Nintendo is being nice like they used to be on Wii U. Banned online means "NO Nintendo Network server."
eShop won't work. Updates won't download. Online Play will not connect. Essentially you are banned from using the internet on your Switch. (Almost.)

I don't particularly care about that either. The only thing I care about is the games. But the prices of them are ridiculously high. I used to think 3DS games were expensive, but now Switch games are 50% more expensive. It's insane.

As soon as you get the free games from some "Now deprecated" FreeShop for switch, you would get instantly banned and cannot download anything else. I would say if you have access to such a thing, use it at the end of Switch's Life and then get all of the games in one sitting in case you get banned. (So you won't be upset a new game came out and you didn't just wait to get banned.)
In this case, Nintendo altered their security anyway as far as I know so this is not possible anyways.

Oh we get shafted on games hardcore. PS3 games for the first few years were 120 dollars (!!!) and the console was a solid grand for a good long while. This is why I was a PS2 and PSP kid until the end of 2011 when I lucked into a PS3.

Mind you, you're an absolute fool to pay full retail here, shit gets cleared hella quick and hella cheap at just about every department store. Picked up a copy of Hyrule Warriors for a friend today in Target, 30 bucks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

eShop is literally the same price. Some games are even 10 bucks more than the physical RRP.

WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU LIVING WHERE A PS3 WAS *EVER* A GRAND, LET ALONE "EASILY" A GRAND, SOLID AT THAT!?
120 DOLLARS FOR A GAME?! That sounds reasonable for a big bundle pack or some packaged with other excess version of the packaging.... BUT ALONE!? Man... Maybe you live in an area that uses the same dollars but they are worth less?

As a heads up, we do not use things like Freeshop much unless it is ACTUALLY WORTH IT. Usually it isn't and FreeShop itself was great while it lasted. PKGj is also nice while it lasts.
When it's gone, we go back to the way we are traditioned and rely more on anyway: Backing up our own games or getting backups from someone who has done just that.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU LIVING WHERE A PS3 WAS *EVER* A GRAND, LET ALONE "EASILY" A GRAND, SOLID AT THAT!?
120 DOLLARS FOR A GAME?! That sounds reasonable for a big bundle pack or some packaged with other excess version of the packaging.... BUT ALONE!? Man... Maybe you live in an area that uses the same dollars but they are worth less?

They aren't wrong:

https://www.cnet.com/news/australian-ps3-launch-date-locked-in/

Sony has locked in 17 November as the Australian launch date for the PlayStation 3, just in time for Christmas. The system will come in two bundles -- a PS3 with a 20GB hard drive (confirmed RRP of AU$829) and one with a 60GB HDD (confirmed RRP of AU$999).

Reactions: TheDukeOfNukem
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1